Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Listen to Early Morning Henry featuring Pink Floyd

Thanks

Wow. My immediate assumption was it must be bullshit, but it seems to be stacking up... http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/201...e-morning.html

Thanks

I've listened and it does sound feasibly like it could be the Floyd playing. It's obviously not really their style, but then why would it be if it's a one-shot demo of someone else's song? The backing vocals at the end do sound a little like Syd, and the bass is simple enough to be Roger.

The other possibility is that it's another set of musicians entirely; the Floyd left early after an unproductive session and Norman used the spare studio time that had been booked to record something with this other guy he'd been working with.

Either way, I don't think any of us ever expected to hear this, so pretty cool that it's turned up. Maybe there's some hope of She Was a Millionaire yet!

Thanks

Well, it looks like Billy Butler himself may still be alive and living in Vancouver, if anyone can find some way of reaching him...

https://earlymorninghenry.wordpress.com/about/

Thanks

In Random Precision Norman Smith wrote back to someone about this song and he said he had " no recollection ", that alone tells me it was not The Pink Floyd. Norman Smith most likely did something against EMI rules as he was known to do, and that does not sound anything like Syd to me.

Guess it's possible Norman needed some help and as a personal favor perhaps Rick and Nick agreed to play on it just to help him out. I does not sound like Syd to me at all, a few things about the backup vocals and a few other little things could possibly be Rick and Nick maybe, but if so they would be pretty much trying to hide who they were. Rick plays keyboards way better than that, but would he play some super easy stuff to help Norman out, also Nick is a very creative drummer, but I would not be shocked if he decided to help Smith out during some late night session.

But here is what seems to be presumed, Norman Smith took the tape home with him, he achieved the monumental task of getting Pink Floyd to play background on this, and after all that Norman Smith simply forgot about it???

Norman did not forget about the band, in fact in an interview with Smith about The Beatles you can see Nick Mason's book on Smith's bookshelf so obviously takes some pride and interest in his work with Floyd. There is no way a guy as sharp minded as Smith would have forgot something like getting The Pink Floyd to play on some track like that.
    Last edited by Friend of Squirrels; 2020-09-26 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,269 Times in 47 Posts

http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/201...e-morning.html

No need to find overcomplicated explanations. Facts do stack up. As is the seller reputation for delivering genuine acetates. You have to do a detective work in the files (which i assume seller did) to find out this vague connection between almost blank acetate label and Pink Floyd session. Seller did his work.
    Unlike all those shitty acetates of See Emily Play and Arnold Layne which turns up on ebay every year with big letters "Pink Floyd" all over them.

Butler seems to be Smith friend and was signed to Jamarnie Music. Obviously demo was made to attract potential artists to record the song and have a hit with it. I can't see why Smith would not ask Floyd to do him personal favor and help his friend quickly at the end of the session. Note that it was specifially logged as "Demo" on session sheet. I cannot recall any other occurance like that when Floyd session take was marked like that. Also if they would had pay attention to the song, then at least several takes would be tried but they seems to be done with it as quickly as they can and forgot about it.

That Mason or Smith does not remember about it doesn't mean anything. Smith produced or participated in hundreds of sessions over the years and he doesn't needed to cramp his memory with such episodes.

It's obviously Waters playing on bass, by the way.

Thanks

After listening to it again I completely agree that it does sound like Roger and has the famous Rickenbacker tone. The guitar sounds acoustic and pretty certain it is a nylon string guitar. Have never known Syd to play a nylon sting guitar that is usually used for classical and bossa nova.
    Roger Waters however often plays nylon string acoustic guitar and I believe this photo by Andrew Whittuck was taken in 1967. My guess is that most likely this is Roger, Nick and Rick on the track. Can not completely rule out Syd but if the whole track, which I have not heard all of, is only nylon string guitar then it makes it likely to be Roger Waters playing it IMOP Pink-Floyd-03.jpg

Thanks

Does Billy Butler play guitar? If so, that could be the answer.

I tend to think it's unlikely Syd would have played on the track, and agree that it's easier to imagine a scenario in which the other three backed up BB.

Tricky chord changes, by the way! But if they had them written out on a piece of paper (as one does), I suppose it'd be easy enough to play what's in front of you. Kudos to Roger (if it is indeed him) for navigating them.

Thanks

Yes, Billy Butler is a guitarist.

Looking at the session sheet, the only other work they did that day was adding vibes and "voices" to Set the Controls. So maybe Syd wasn't there at all, or was too out of it to participate. But that would fit in with the idea of the band having some spare time at the end of the session, and Smith basically saying "seeing as you're all here and we've got the studio booked, fancy helping my mate record a demo?"

Thanks

I believe Butler has a background in jazz guitar, sounds like nylon strings though possibility it is a hollow body electric being played on a very clean channel with a LOT of reverb.. Sort of a bossa nova classical type arpeggio no pick being used. Syd was not known to play that way though he did do a bit of finger picking at the end of Power Toc H but that was more of a Travis picking style, this stuff is more bossa nova style IMOP.
    You are right the chords are kind of tricky. Sounds like there is a D maj 7th type chord in there but something a little different about it. Thought I would be able to play this easy but actually a bit confused

[QUOTE=goldenband;293648]Does Billy Butler play guitar? If so, that could be the answer.

Thanks

If you'd like to play along at home the chords in the part I can hear are something like this:

4/4:

Verse 1:
    E | G#7 | A | C#7 |
    E | G#7 | A | C#7 |

Chorus:
    F#m | G#7/D# G#7 | D | B |
    2/4: | B |
    4/4: | B7 | B7 | E C#7 | C#7 |

Verse 2:
    F# | A#7 | (fades out)
    Last edited by goldenband; 2020-09-26 at 07:46 PM.