Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed/Pitch Correction for beginners

Thanks
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swirling Panpot View Post
    How do you get the correct pitch?

Because I am a guitar player, I will correctly tune my guitar, and play along with the music. It does not take long at all to know if the tape is wrong compared to the live guitar.

NICE ONE, MAN!

That's just like i also do myself, being a guitar player since age 7 (but i had started playing piano at 5, before switching to guitar a couple years later)...
    of course, the good result is directly influenced by how nicely our ears can detect if there are any pitch differences between our guitar and the music playing.... It's not that different situation than when I played into a band and had to realize if someone into the band was out of tune or if it was my guitar being out of tune (of course, without having any electronic guitar tuners at hand but by trusting only your ears).
    And when i find the right "correction numbers" which make the recording sound nice together with my guitar then I know I am OK with the speed correction...

Going more in details about myself...

I don't usually go to the route of "calculating" pitches and such.... I believe that when a recording sounds fine together with a well tuned guitar (or other instrument) then it's just OK for listening, as well...
    no need to split hairs... tiny differences aren't so detectable if you simply listen to the recording and don't compare it carefully in realtime with a reference (i.e. the well tuned guitar or anything else equally suitable).

More about my "splitting hairs" point...
    When i find a recording which is very close to the correct speed (say, within a 0.3% or also a 0.5% error range) I definitely prefer NOT to subject it to the "torture" of the digital speed correction, which means resampling...
    and resampling means that ANY single samples will be digitally re-calculated and, IMHO, this is a kind of processing which isn't exactly safe to the sound... for sure, you are losing some fidelity while doing that!
    I understand when a recording runs so off-speed that it's easily noticeable and that can be annoying and it will benefit from a speed correction process... but which is the point of processing a recording when its speed is just very close, to the point that you'll notice it only while comparing it in realtime together with a suitable reference?
    How many people have ears with absolutely perfect pitch so that they aren't able to easily accomodate their ears while listening to a recording which runs, say, 0.2% off speed? why going and correcting such a small error by sacrificing some of the recording's fidelity because of a difficult to notice speed error?

I understand some might be surprised (or perhaps also horrified?) to read me telling that I don't love to split hairs, if this means that I can avoid applying "unnecessary" processing to the sound... but this is how I always did myself...
    and, here around, there are SOOOOO MANY recordings checked for the correction numbers (in this case my name doesn't appear at all on the description file, i am not interested in the "glory" that much) or checked and also corrected/torrented by myself just this way (in this latter case my name is of course mentioned) , and I didn't hear any complains about the speed correction, yet... then I assume my checking/correction works didn't only sound OK to my ears but also to other people's ears.

A side note about the "particularly difficult" corrections...
    When you happen to get a recording which has also speed fluctuations, unstable speed, heavy "wow" issues and such... I'd say that if you can really trust your ears, you can make a decent work in much less time than trying to "measure" the speed in a way or another.... a couple examples like that?
    well... the few best sounding Birmingham feb 11th 1970 sources here around, which all passed through my ears... or the most recent version of St Louis march 6th 1973 where the OOTD encore (with heavily unstable speed) appeared for the first time in a listenable shape.

Cheers,

Vince.
    Last edited by vince666; 2020-10-27 at 12:01 AM.