Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1969 Moon Landing BBC performance

Thanks
    Thanked 34,158 Times in 421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swirling Panpot View Post
    Are there any recorders that you know of with the full 60 minute program?
    None that are circulating to the best of my knowledge. Just over 20 years ago I tracked down a retired professor in Wales who had a film copy but he wasn't interested in talking to me. I was probably one of a long line of people who had approached him. If you work out his likely age he is probably deceased now, unfortunately. I had high hopes that the footage would pop up in a BBC documentary marking the 50th anniversary but, unless the material wasn't broadcast, they appear to have unearthed nothing new to mark the occasion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    None that are circulating to the best of my knowledge. Just over 20 years ago I tracked down a retired professor in Wales who had a film copy but he wasn't interested in talking to me. I was probably one of a long line of people who had approached him. If you work out his likely age he is probably deceased now, unfortunately. I had high hopes that the footage would pop up in a BBC documentary marking the 50th anniversary but, unless the material wasn't broadcast, they appear to have unearthed nothing new to mark the occasion.
    Perhaps his heirs, or maybe he donated the film to his former employers? Could be worth some follow-up.
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks

No, as I said earlier in the thread, there are about five recorders.
    Sorry I didn't pick up on that detail. So five different people stuck their tape recorders in proximity to their television, rather than one or two master recordings have fanned out into five distinct variations through different mastering and editing etc?

I had a listen on Youtube and a version apparently ripped from the Early Years box set sounded a lot better than I recall ever hearing it before. It still had a sort of fog of distortion going on, but it was quite enjoyable.

I've not compared a bunch of versions to try and work out differences, but it seems that some versions have a properly spacey middle section with echo'd organ and glissando guitar, whereas one version didn't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orgone Accumulator View Post
    Sorry I didn't pick up on that detail. So five different people stuck their tape recorders in proximity to their television, rather than one or two master recordings have fanned out into five distinct variations through different mastering and editing etc?

I had a listen on Youtube and a version apparently ripped from the Early Years box set sounded a lot better than I recall ever hearing it before. It still had a sort of fog of distortion going on, but it was quite enjoyable.

I've not compared a bunch of versions to try and work out differences, but it seems that some versions have a properly spacey middle section with echo'd organ and glissando guitar, whereas one version didn't.
    Additionally, some versions have more studio chatter than others. Yes, microphones held to television speakers in all cases, I believe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swirling Panpot View Post
    Perhaps his heirs, or maybe he donated the film to his former employers? Could be worth some follow-up.
    It was a dead-end, unfortunately. I made approaches a few times in different ways. Some people are just not interested and I have learnt to accept this with good grace over the years. It would be worth someone here trying some of the forums online

Thanks

I tracked down a retired professor in Wales who had a film copy but he wasn't interested in talking to me.
    How had he captured this? I've seen 8mm footage of Jimi Hendrix on Dusty Springfield's show, which was filmed from a TV screen. Was there any machines available to the domestic market in 1969 to directly capture a TV broadcast (like a VCR, but before VHS was invented!) or did this professor have access to better equipment through his work?

Thanks

I didn't get that far with the details, unfortunately. I remember finding it on an academic discussion forum many pages into Google. I wouldn't have been searching under obvious terms - that rarely works when you want to uncover something new Floyd-wise.

The discussion involved posts about how the university's equipment had been used and the significance of various material that this professor had control over. It didn't talk about Pink Floyd specifically - instead the gist of it was that they had (or possibly had I can't be certain after so many years) captured all of the BBC's moon-themed schedule that day (https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedule...don/1969-07-20)

I suppose that this would be an obvious thing for an academic institution to do with its valuable video recording gear.
    Last edited by neonknight; 2020-10-18 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 48 Posts

They had the younger versions of Judi Dench and Ian McKellen on the show too now I'd love to see them what they were doing there.
    Would you like to send our coloured cousins home again, my friend?
    All you need to do is follow the worms