Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 Moon Landing BBC performance

Thanks

Default 1969 Moon Landing BBC performance

Obviously we are all familiar with “Moonhead”, but I feel like I have heard 2-3 other improvs/jams that were supposedly from the same “sessions”. All were labeled with very space influenced names.

For the life of me, I can’t find them or anything about them.

Anyone familiar with what I’m talking about? How are they?

Thanks
    Thanked 34,348 Times in 423 Posts

If only this was correct! There are are around five recordings of Moonhead off the TV, however, all with subtle differences.

Thanks

I recently did quite alot of research on that date, and did not then, nor previously, hear of other tracks than the officially released Moonhead (on The Early Years). There are several recorded sources of the same thing. You can see my recent write up as part of this post:

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...175#post293175

Because I would rather research Pink Floyd than almost any other activity, I looked again, starting in the Amazing Pudding fanzine. Using an index for that fanzine (this is foreshadowing to another forthcoming upload), I was able to find an article from Melody Maker entitled “Floyd Take A Shot At The Moon” from July 19th, 1969. A search on that title led me to this very interesting page:

http://rarepinkfloyd.fr/pfov-f1969-part1.html

There you can find notes on the Moonhead session, and what is possibly a photo from the session:

http://rarepinkfloyd.fr/images/22.07...ink-5d-341.jpg

The description is a little vague, and the photo file name explicitly says Stuttgart, so this photo is probably from Germany. But to me the image is unfamiliar, and unlike the 7/22/69 Stuttgart footage we have seen. Can anyone else verify the location of this photo?

At the above (non photo) link you can also see the Melody Maker article if you scroll down. Actually the whole web page is fascinating!

http://rarepinkfloyd.fr/images/rpf-2...9-20mm-230.jpg

Somewhere in my research it was suggested the Floyd played twice in the broadcast. The broadcast totaled one hour. My impression is that whatever was played was done live within that hour. Here is a link to two versions of the recording:

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...957#post240957

In the first version one can clearly hear two segments:

1st Segment = 1:11 (sandwiched between dialogue)
    2nd Segment = 5:13 (the more extended version)

Both clips are based on the same theme. They may have played during, and again at the end of the show. What I have yet to see or hear is a full recording of the hour long special. If anyone has this I would encourage a release for the purposes of context.

Others have suggested that the track may have been pre-recorded. I may be able to shed light on that impression.

On page 75 of the Povey/Russell book In The Flesh (published 1997), there is an entry for 10.7.69 suggesting that the Floyd pre-recorded their contribution to the show So What If It's Just Green Cheese?. The date is characterised as "a live TV recording session" and correctly identifies the broadcast date as 20.7.69. There are two great reasons to doubt the accuracy of the July 10th date.

1. On page 111 of the Povey book Echoes: The Complete History of Pink Floyd (published 2006), the listing for 10.7.69 is gone, with no entry for that date, and the listing for 20.7.69 notes that "Pink Floyd performed a five-minute live improvisation entitled Moonhead..." Considering that Glenn Povey was a co-author on the 1st book, there can be little question that he had access to the details of the original 10.7.69 listing. It can only be presumed that in the ensuing years and with further research the earlier date turned out to be spurious, and was therefore omitted from the latter publication.

2. In the modern BBC TV Documentary: "Which One Is Pink" which can be found on YouTube here:

https://youtu.be/cVHGLdZQgEw?list=PL...iNY4sOokYganap

at 19:29 in the video Gilmour talks about the experience:

Gilmour: "We were there, in the studio, playing live... while people were walking on the moon (sic). I can't quite imagine it today, that behind a program they'd have a pop group making up a jam, live in the studio, while that was going on. Those were the days!"

Since the Apollo 11 rocket did not even leave earth until 1969-07-16, it can be assumed that based on David's recounting of the events the music could not have been recorded on 1969-07-10. That said, his memory is a little off, as the moonwalk itself occurred hours AFTER the broadcast of So What If It's Just Green Cheese?.

In any case, all I am trying to do here is validate the date that the music was recorded: 1969-07-20, the fact that it was recorded live in the studio during the broadcast, and (until the entire show turns up), the supposition that there were only two segments of Floyd performance, both of which were based on the same musical theme.

Full Source Listing:
    So What If It's Just Green Cheese?, BBC1 TV, live broadcast
    Studio 5, BBC TV Centre, Wood Lane, London, England
    A TV show dedicated to the first moon landing with the band playing live, alone in a studio, for this occasion.

More intriguing, and possibly speaking to your question, are two more performances noted at this same website:

22.07.1969 « Apollo XI Moon landing », SDR TV, Stuttgart, Germany
    According an article in Melody Maker called « Floyd take a shot at the Moon », the Floyd has played for the German TV.
    For this date, we do have "A Stuttgart Strudel" which may explain the German appearance in its' entirety.

24.07.1969 « Een Man op de Maan », VARA TV Studios, Zaandam, Netherlands
    Broadcast of a program entitled « Een Man op de Maan » (On Man on the Moon) on Nederland1 on TV but pre-recorded in the studio of the German TV ARD as part of the media coverage of the Apollo 11 mission. Nobody know(s) if this is a replay of the famous soundtrack performed by the group for BBC (see above). Or if this is an original recording knowing that the group was near Holland in this period. Melody Maker speaks of this appearance in an article in the July 19, 1969 issue.

A web search on the Dutch title did not yield any more detail than the above French site. If anyone has more info on this date I would love to see it!

Hopefully this helps to answer your question.
    Last edited by Swirling Panpot; 2020-10-16 at 08:02 PM.
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swirling Panpot View Post
    I recently did quite alot of research on that date, and did not then, nor previously, hear of other tracks than the officially released Moonhead (on The Early Years). There are several recorded sources of the same thing. You can see my recent write up as part of this post:

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...175#post293175

Because I would rather research Pink Floyd than almost any other activity, I looked again, starting in the Amazing Pudding fanzine. Using an index for that fanzine (this is foreshadowing to another forthcoming upload), I was able to find an article from Melody Maker entitled “Floyd Take A Shot At The Moon” from July 19th, 1969. A search on that title led me to this very interesting page:

There you can find notes on the Moonhead session, and what is possibly a photo from the session:

The description is a little vague, and the photo file name explicitly says Stuttgart, so this photo is probably from Germany. But to me the image is unfamiliar, and unlike the 7/22/69 Stuttgart footage we have seen. Can anyone else verify the location of this photo?

At the above (non photo) link you can also see the Melody Maker article if you scroll down. Actually the whole web page is fascinating!

http://rarepinkfloyd.fr/images/rpf-2...9-20mm-230.jpg

Somewhere in my research it was suggested the Floyd played twice in the broadcast. The broadcast totaled one hour. My impression is that whatever was played was done live within that hour. Here is a link to two versions of the recording:

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...957#post240957

In the first version one can clearly hear two segments:

1st Segment = 1:11 (sandwiched between dialogue)
    2nd Segment = 5:13 (the more extended version)

Both clips are based on the same theme. They may have played during, and again at the end of the show. What I have yet to see or hear is a full recording of the hour long special. If anyone has this I would encourage a release for the purposes of context.

Others have suggested that the track may have been pre-recorded. I may be able to shed light on that impression.

On page 75 of the Povey/Russell book In The Flesh (published 1997), there is an entry for 10.7.69 suggesting that the Floyd pre-recorded their contribution to the show So What If It's Just Green Cheese?. The date is characterised as "a live TV recording session" and correctly identifies the broadcast date as 20.7.69. There are two great reasons to doubt the accuracy of the July 10th date.

1. On page 111 of the Povey book Echoes: The Complete History of Pink Floyd (published 2006), the listing for 10.7.69 is gone, with no entry for that date, and the listing for 20.7.69 notes that "Pink Floyd performed a five-minute live improvisation entitled Moonhead..." Considering that Glenn Povey was a co-author on the 1st book, there can be little question that he had access to the details of the original 10.7.69 listing. It can only be presumed that in the ensuing years and with further research the earlier date turned out to be spurious, and was therefore omitted from the latter publication.

2. In the modern BBC TV Documentary: "Which One Is Pink" which can be found on YouTube here:

https://youtu.be/cVHGLdZQgEw?list=PL...iNY4sOokYganap

at 19:29 in the video Gilmour talks about the experience:

Gilmour: "We were there, in the studio, playing live... while people were walking on the moon (sic). I can't quite imagine it today, that behind a program they'd have a pop group making up a jam, live in the studio, while that was going on. Those were the days!"

Since the Apollo 11 rocket did not even leave earth until 1969-07-16, it can be assumed that based on David's recounting of the events the music could not have been recorded on 1969-07-10. That said, his memory is a little off, as the moonwalk itself occurred hours AFTER the broadcast of So What If It's Just Green Cheese?.

In any case, all I am trying to do here is validate the date that the music was recorded: 1969-07-20, the fact that it was recorded live in the studio during the broadcast, and (until the entire show turns up), the supposition that there were only two segments of Floyd performance, both of which were based on the same musical theme.

Full Source Listing:
    So What If It's Just Green Cheese?, BBC1 TV, live broadcast
    Studio 5, BBC TV Centre, Wood Lane, London, England
    A TV show dedicated to the first moon landing with the band playing live, alone in a studio, for this occasion.

More intriguing, and possibly speaking to your question, are two more performances noted at this same website:

22.07.1969 « Apollo XI Moon landing », SDR TV, Stuttgart, Germany
    According an article in Melody Maker called « Floyd take a shot at the Moon », the Floyd has played for the German TV.
    For this date, we do have "A Stuttgart Strudel" which may explain the German appearance in its' entirety.

24.07.1969 « Een Man op de Maan », VARA TV Studios, Zaandam, Netherlands
    Broadcast of a program entitled « Een Man op de Maan » (On Man on the Moon) on Nederland1 on TV but pre-recorded in the studio of the German TV ARD as part of the media coverage of the Apollo 11 mission. Nobody know(s) if this is a replay of the famous soundtrack performed by the group for BBC (see above). Or if this is an original recording knowing that the group was near Holland in this period. Melody Maker speaks of this appearance in an article in the July 19, 1969 issue.

A web search on the Dutch title did not yield any more detail than the above French site. If anyone has more info on this date I would love to see it!

Hopefully this helps to answer your question.
    Wow, I never knew a photo existed from the Moonhead program or that they may have performed moon-oriented tracks behind this date. And thanks for all of the research.

Thanks

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to write all that out for me. For what it’s worth, I remember them being very grainy (of comparable sound to the quality version of Moonhead that was floating around in the early 2000s maybe. I seem to recall one being titled (most likely by whoever had the recordings. The name “Golan Heights” keeps coming back to me. Most likely I’m confusing the different Moonheads, and perhaps a low resolution copy of that “Corrosion” performance there is video for.

I’m gonna look through some stuff and see if I can’t find whatever caused my confusion at the least.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demamo View Post
    Wow, I never knew a photo existed from the Moonhead program or that they may have performed moon-oriented tracks behind this date. And thanks for all of the research.
    Just to be clear, the photo I linked has not been verified to be from the 1969-07-20 Moonhead. It may be from a 1969-07-22 performance in Germany. Would love input from others on that one!
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks

There is a lot of overlap, compositionally, between Moonhead and Corrosion/Libest Spacement Monitor, etc. The band had an amorphous jam that dipped in and out of that descending blues bassline that turned up in Money. The notion that they were improvising on the spot is a bit bogus in all cases. I also find it somewhat ironic that the BBC drafted in the spaciest band they could find and, in turn, the band reverted to a regressive 12-bar blues as incidental music for the moon landing. For all the psychedelic trappings, Pink Floyd couldn't really come up with wildly improvisational stuff on the fly without calling on their formative blues origins.

I don't think I've ever heard a good version of Moonhead, just a least worst? All versions sound like they were an open mic recording from a TV set. People try and EQ and NR the results to sound a bit sweeter, and maybe add a soft reverb to add a bit of space (geddit?) to the sound, but they all have the same sort of dull murmur to them with most of the finer detail lost in the soup. I assume there is only one original recording that people have chopped and edited differently depending on what they see fit?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swirling Panpot View Post

I think some of the info on that webpage is a bit patchy. I cannot trace any colour footage from the Stuttgart TV slot in a programme called 'Omnibus' etc.

The photo in question...

...looks like the same backdrop as used at the end of A Saucerful in the Stuttgart TV footage. The band isn't set up exactly the same, and you can't see the amps in the photo above. You also can't see the trees behind the banner, just blackness. Maybe they filmed some inserts or an other unused idea in the studio using the set that they then carted out into the woods. I don't think Pink Floyd carried around this backdrop for multiple TV slots.

Thanks
    Thanked 34,348 Times in 423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orgone Accumulator View Post
    I assume there is only one original recording that people have chopped and edited differently depending on what they see fit?
    No, as I said earlier in the thread, there are about five recorders.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    No, as I said earlier in the thread, there are about five recorders.
    Are there any recorders that you know of with the full 60 minute program?
    Floyd First Since 1978