Thread: Spectral question

Thanks
    Thanked 7,517 Times in 99 Posts

Default Spectral question

Anybody knows what might cause this ragged frequency cut above 17kHz? The first thing that comes to mind is a transfer from Mini Disc, but could it have another cause, like some kind of processing it's been subjected to?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
    Anybody knows what might cause this ragged frequency cut above 17kHz? The first thing that comes to mind is a transfer from Mini Disc, but could it have another cause, like some kind of processing it's been subjected to?

Just looking at that, my first guess would be NR, 2nd would be MiniDisc. But I'd need to hear it and be able to look at it myself before giving a more confident judgement. If you'd want to PM a 10 second clip, I'd be happy to check it out.

Thanks

It's not been noise reduced, but it does sound a bit compressed as it's been transferred overly loud. Thing is, I've seen this on several unprocessed sources, I guess a Mini Disc is the most likely explanation for it. I just wondered if I'm overlooking something that might be obvious to others.

Thanks

Looks like some sort of lossy compression is in the lineage - atrac / atrac3 in the case of minidisc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmr View Post
    Looks like some sort of lossy compression is in the lineage - atrac / atrac3 in the case of minidisc.
    That seems to me the most likely explanation, yes. Thank you guys.