Thread: Lining up out of phase two channel mono

Thanks
    Thanked 3,120 Times in 75 Posts

Default Lining up out of phase two channel mono

Hi. I have a two-channel mono recording which is very slightly out of phase for the two channels. Aside from discarding one of the channels, is there any program which will line the two sides up? Is this possible to do in Audacity, and if so how? Thanks!

The end game here is to combine the two channels as they have EQ differences, then make two channels.
    Last edited by Doinker; 2021-01-14 at 09:38 PM.
    "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to my right... Here I am - stuck in the middle with you..." - Stealers Wheel

Takes on a whole new meaning today, doesn't it? - D

Thanks

I use Audacity manually to do this. I use Change Tempo as it doesn't change pitch. A bit of trial and error to get it "just exactly perfect".

Thanks
    Thanked 3,120 Times in 75 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seremetcc View Post
    I use Audacity manually to do this. I use Change Tempo as it doesn't change pitch. A bit of trial and error to get it "just exactly perfect".
    Thanks, will try this. It's got to be only just enough to hear flanging. I had to blow it up considerably in Sound Forge just to see it.
    "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to my right... Here I am - stuck in the middle with you..." - Stealers Wheel

Takes on a whole new meaning today, doesn't it? - D

Thanks
    Thanked 7,517 Times in 99 Posts

Seremetcc seems to have misunderstood your question and assumed you meant speed correction. Doesn't Soundforge have a tool to phase correct, or align channels, a mono recording automatically? I don't know if Audacity can be trusted with this.

Thanks

I prefer to do this manually by sliding one of the channels to align with the other. It doesn't take much, usually a shift of less than 15 samples for most analog cassette transfers.

There are also plug ins that claim to do this. Waves InPhase is one that comes to mind; however, I've never used it.