Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Beginner's Guide to live Pink Floyd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    Also, can anyone help me out with a definitive 1989 show? I used to always point to Venice, but that's officially released now on the Later Years Box.
    Moscow is great:

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...oscow-(Wojtek)

Thanks

Good idea Lennyif. I've often thought of doing so myself but never seem to find the time. I don't see any obvious omissions in your suggestions and the others in the thread.

Another thing I've thought about before is why not use the list of best known source to do the same thing. That thread starts by offering a few suggestions but then stops and I've thought we could easily add a symbol or color code to highlight other dates that should be listened to when starting out. Of course that list doesn't include the later years but they could be added.

Thanks

Pretty solid list!

I'd suggest adding a show with the space lyrics to Echoes, since a newcomer would be intrigued by that. Aphrodite 1971-08-07 (formerly dated as 1971-08-06) comes to mind, but unfortunately we don't have any one perfect tape for that show, and the only compilations are from Sigma and have some compromises IIRC. The "Peace Record" recorder sounds pretty strong, though, and Rec. 3 isn't bad at all.

Seems a bit of a shame not to have any shows from January-March 1977, since the performances were somewhat different -- in some ways closer to the album (especially SOYCD 6-9) -- and the audiences quieter. Not sure which show I'd suggest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steelbreeze View Post
    Excellent, thank you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlue1989 View Post
    Good idea Lennyif. I've often thought of doing so myself but never seem to find the time. I don't see any obvious omissions in your suggestions and the others in the thread.

Another thing I've thought about before is why not use the list of best known source to do the same thing. That thread starts by offering a few suggestions but then stops and I've thought we could easily add a symbol or color code to highlight other dates that should be listened to when starting out. Of course that list doesn't include the later years but they could be added.
    Thanks! Yes, to be honest I consider this as a supplement to the best sources list and to all of Nipote's lists. Kind of a safe roulette wheel of recordings that someone could just pick a few from and start enjoying easily. Could be added to the "Lists" section, or tacked on to the best sources thread some kind of way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Pretty solid list!

I'd suggest adding a show with the space lyrics to Echoes, since a newcomer would be intrigued by that. Aphrodite 1971-08-07 (formerly dated as 1971-08-06) comes to mind, but unfortunately we don't have any one perfect tape for that show, and the only compilations are from Sigma and have some compromises IIRC. The "Peace Record" recorder sounds pretty strong, though, and Rec. 3 isn't bad at all.

Seems a bit of a shame not to have any shows from January-March 1977, since the performances were somewhat different -- in some ways closer to the album (especially SOYCD 6-9) -- and the audiences quieter. Not sure which show I'd suggest.
    I thought of both of those in fact, but left out a "space echoes" show, and a European 1977 show really in an effort to keep it concise. It's hard to do that... Hahah

Maybe the newly discovered recorder for Brescia for the Echoes with space lyrics? Other than that one, I think my favorite would actually be the Melbourne 1971 tape that Neon recently shared. Aphrodite, as you mentioned is great too. Recorder 5 maybe? Paris 2-25-1977 for a Euro Animals show? The classic Harvested release is great. Zurich, too.

Thanks

I consider March 1973 to be essential, and I would nominate 1973-03-11 - YEESHKUL!

Aside from the magical invocations, I consider the show to contain many best-of versions, not least Careful With That Axe, Eugene, and my personal favorite Any Colour You Like. In fact on balance I think the first set as a whole is the best of the era. Nick's drumming in particular is notable throughout both sets.
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steelbreeze View Post
    Thanks!

This is it, my only PF concert, at which I was a vigilante (civilian guard). A few meters away from me, a certain jerk loudly expressed provocative comments. With some delay, I had to twist this fool first one ear, then the other.
    Alas, his stupid behavior is now a historical fact
    Last edited by YASHA; 2021-01-29 at 07:22 PM.

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

TBS14

Thanks

Thanks

Absolutely! I am going to keep my list short, since it's intended as a jumping off point for newbies (not a "catch all" list for great recordings), but I absolutely encourage everyone to post favorites in the comments so that a newer member can dig deeper if they want by scrolling through and seeing what everyone has to say. That said, I'll probably still make a few tweaks here and there.