Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Beginner's Guide to live Pink Floyd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    Absolutely! I am going to keep my list short, since it's intended as a jumping off point for newbies (not a "catch all" list for great recordings), but I absolutely encourage everyone to post favorites in the comments so that a newer member can dig deeper if they want by scrolling through and seeing what everyone has to say. That said, I'll probably still make a few tweaks here and there.
    I get that Tried to go for clean and decent performances. I know the feeling of being new to boots and just thinking that everything sounds like shit.
    A great initiative from you Lennyif!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swirling Panpot View Post
    I consider March 1973 to be essential, and I would nominate 1973-03-11 - YEESHKUL!

Aside from the magical invocations, I consider the show to contain many best-of versions, not least Careful With That Axe, Eugene, and my personal favorite Any Colour You Like. In fact on balance I think the first set as a whole is the best of the era. Nick's drumming in particular is notable throughout both sets.
    I definitely thought of this one, but left it off due to the audience participation, and I don't know if there's a consensus on a best version either. It's essential for me, as well, but I don't know if it's one I would point a new member to right off the bat to get them into live Floyd. In a head to head it lost to the Earls Court show I picked, in my mind anyway. Also a killer performance, great sound, and less audience. Also, same songs.

Feel free to talk me out of that though. i like a debate when it's about stuff like this. Haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WorldmanOne View Post
    I get that Tried to go for clean and decent performances. I know the feeling of being new to boots and just thinking that everything sounds like shit.
    A great initiative from you Lennyif!
    Thanks! Yeah, it can be daunting for sure. Your '77 picks are first class I think, btw.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YASSHA View Post
    Thanks!

This is it, my only PF concert, at which I was a vigilante (civilian guard). A few meters away from me, a certain jerk loudly expressed provocative comments. With some interruption, I had to twist one ear first, then the other.
    Alas, his stupid behavior is now a historical fact
    Bummer that you were being distracted so much, but still cool that you were there. Pretty special show in the band's history.

Thanks

Bummer that you were being distracted so much, but still cool that you were there. Pretty special show in the band's history.
    Yes, that's right. It was a Breakthrough!

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

TBS14

Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 81 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swirling Panpot View Post
    I consider March 1973 to be essential, and I would nominate 1973-03-11 - YEESHKUL!

Aside from the magical invocations, I consider the show to contain many best-of versions, not least Careful With That Axe, Eugene, and my personal favorite Any Colour You Like. In fact on balance I think the first set as a whole is the best of the era. Nick's drumming in particular is notable throughout both sets.
    Yes! One of the shows I was listening to yesterday. I am researching the March 12th show in Montreal and Nick's work was also noted as being remarkable, although he was referred to as Rick Wright, the drummer..
    Last edited by plegault; 2021-01-29 at 10:25 PM.
    --
    Regards,
    Phil

Thanks

SOLO MEMBER PERFORMANCES

Roger Waters

2015-07-24 - Newport
    http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...SBD-Broadcast)
    It's mentioned that this Newport SBD was edited for the broadcast on his video version here http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...(Multicam-SBD)
    I have also noticed that this audio capture does have a couple dropouts (during Wide River to Cross and Forever Young, If I remember correctly). I am not sure if that was inherited from the actual broadcast though.
    If those dropouts set off anyone else's OCD like they did mine, then there is this one from DIME that does not have them (although it is still the edited SBD) http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...ource-(tamlyn)

Overall, many thanks, Lennyif, for your efforts. This has definitely helped me to identify a few gaps that I had in my collection. Using this in combination with nipote's lists and the best sources list has been great! I had an idea and was trying to put something together for personal use recently to combine them. I pulled all showthread urls from nipote's list (I've only started with PF audio so far) and also from the best sources page postings. I then compared those url's to identify on nipote's lists which specific releases were mentioned on the best sources. It's not perfect, but identifying them all by the Showthread ID's seems to work pretty well!
    Last edited by diesel10; 2021-01-29 at 08:16 PM.
    Roger Waters
    - Las Vegas MGM Grand 2010-11-26
    - Las Vegas T-Mobile Arena 2017-06-16

David Gilmour
    - Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl 2016-03-25

Thanks
    Thanked 7,886 Times in 156 Posts

Great idea Lenny
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diesel10 View Post
    It's mentioned that this Newport SBD was edited for the broadcast on his video version here http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...(Multicam-SBD)
    I have also noticed that this audio capture does have a couple dropouts (during Wide River to Cross and Forever Young, If I remember correctly). I am not sure if that was inherited from the actual broadcast though.
    If those dropouts set off anyone else's OCD like they did mine, then there is this one from DIME that does not have them (although it is still the edited SBD) http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...ource-(tamlyn)

Overall, many thanks, Lennyif, for your efforts. This has definitely helped me to identify a few gaps that I had in my collection. Using this in combination with nipote's lists and the best sources list has been great! I had an idea and was trying to put something together for personal use recently to combine them. I pulled all showthread urls from nipote's list (I've only started with PF audio so far) and also from the best sources page postings. I then compared those url's to identify on nipote's lists which specific releases were mentioned on the best sources. It's not perfect, but identifying them all by the Showthread ID's seems to work pretty well!
    Good ear, thanks, I have updated that link! Glad this is of use to you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plegault View Post
    Yes! One of the shows I was listening to yesterday. I am researching the March 12th show in Montreal and Nick's work was also noted as being remarkable, although he was called out as Rick Wright, the drummer..
    My first two live Floyd tapes were 9/17/69 & 3/11/73, both of which are still favorites after listening to hundreds of hours of live Pink Floyd. To me, the audience on 3/11/73 enhances the performance. When the guy yells at the climax of Eugene I can practically hear his brain melting. He was a changed man! As was I, listening in a mere 5 or 6 years later. And now, nearly 50 years later, and even knowing it is coming, I still get a thrill from it. And trust me, my first versions of these tapes were CRAP, but I could still listen through to the amazing music.

I would also comment that the March tour was a magical sweet spot, where the band was fully matured with their masterpiece recorded, but had yet to understand that they were soon to be megastars (as a band anyway). They really had not yet gotten just how well they had "made it." By May, their success was clear. To me, the performances have a different character. I feel that spring tour is critical. Wish we had tapes of every show. How that did not happen, I cannot understand.
    Floyd First Since 1978