Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lyrics of Syd Barrett, Omnibus Press

Thanks
    Thanked 35,777 Times in 430 Posts

Default The Lyrics of Syd Barrett, Omnibus Press

I have just received my copy via Amazon. Has anybody else got there's yet? Very quick first impression: beautifully presented, some nice photographs but nothing new, and I'm really looking forward to exploring the lyrics in detail.

IMG_0896.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 50 Posts

Default Odd-!

Completely off-topic, but I see you still need your attachments approved by staff, naughty! ;-)

Thanks

Que!? I had no idea this had actually come out, so thanks for the heads up! I don't generally have interest in Floyd books anymore, but I will be making an exception for this one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 50 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    Has anybody else got there's yet?
    Aaaand this has just clicked! Classic clever!

Thanks
    Thanked 35,777 Times in 430 Posts

I have started to read it this morning. Well worth the money and a great choice to make it hardback. Peter Jenner's introduction is nicely written and Rob Chapman's essay, which I am part of the way through, is really good. I don't want to spoil it for anyone waiting for their delivery; Chapman explains the characteristics of Syd's writing in great detail, along with how he borrowed from multiple sources, sometimes re-ordering them, choosing words that attracted his attention, building on them and introducing his own influences, insights and inspiration.

Thanks

Ugh. This isn't going to be released in US until May 6... Patience Grasshopper, patience.

Thanks

Got my copy as well. Check ebay, got a copy to the US, dispatched from Canada via the UK. I agree with the comments so far, I love it. I didn't realize it would be a hardback until I got it.

There will be some lyrical concerns in the text though. (Spoilers ahead) Lime And Limpet green being one.
    I haven't decided if it's wrong yet, trying to keep my mind open. But an annotation would be nice,
    since limpid had been the accepted lyric.

No Man's Land has the mumbled cut-up words pretty well, as far as I can tell. Also "To hear my ire" was new to me. Always heard "to hear my hour."

Clam and crab were new to me in Terrapin and Feel (I heard clown and crowd respectively).

Thanks

Rob Chapman is well worth following on Twitter for his insights into how this book was put together (and in general, really). DG was heavily involved, going through the multi track tapes with a fine tooth comb to decipher every syllable. So if it says 'lime and limpet' then it's very likely to be right.

Great interview with Chapman here: https://sohoradiolondon.com/show/bur...tt-14-02-2021/

Thanks
    Thanked 4,331 Times in 47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marksturdy View Post
    Rob Chapman is well worth following on Twitter for his insights into how this book was put together (and in general, really). DG was heavily involved, going through the multi track tapes with a fine tooth comb to decipher every syllable. So if it says 'lime and limpet' then it's very likely to be right.

Great interview with Chapman here: https://sohoradiolondon.com/show/bur...tt-14-02-2021/
    It's not right. Since there's no multi-tracks to go through in case of that song. I don't think Gilmour went through multi-tracks of any 1967 stuff. It's not in his possession.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hallucalation View Post
    It's not right. Since there's no multi-tracks to go through in case of that song. I don't think Gilmour went through multi-tracks of any 1967 stuff. It's not in his possession.
    I would think he would not need to look into that song too much since he performed it several hundred times (1968 - 1971 & 1994 - 2016). I would also think if David had it wrong, Rick would have corrected David when he joined the band or at the latest when they were in the studio rerecording the vocals for the live version on Ummagumma, unless of course Rick had it wrong as well, which seems beyond unlikely. Who alive right now would know better than David, or have more authority on the matter?