Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .shn to flac?

Thanks

Question .shn to flac?

Hi,

I was wondering how to convert shn files to flac. I found quite a few torrents on here which give you shn files. I would like to know the best way to convert them to flac for easier listening.

Thanks! :)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,517 Times in 99 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 42 Posts

You can download the compiled Windows command line program here - http://shnutils.freeshell.org/shorte...rten-3.6.1.zip
    Extract it from the downloaded ZIP file by simply clicking on it within Windows, then sending the file "shorten.exe" to the folder where your .SHN files are.
    Open a CMD window (Ctrl-R, then type in "CMD" and press the "Enter" key) and go to the folder where the executable and your .SHN files are.
    To first convert all .SHN files to .WAV format: "shorten -x *.shn"
    Leave this CMD window open for after the next two steps.
    Now download the FLAC command line program here - https://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/xiph/rele...-1.3.2-win.zip
    Double click the downloaded ZIP file and copy flac.exe to the folder with your .SHN files now converted to .WAV format.
    Go back to your CMD window and type "flac -8 --delete *.wav"
    If you want to be able to repeat this process more easily in the future, you can copy both shorten.exe and flac.exe to a folder in your path, then whenever you need to convert files, you can type the two commands only without having to go through the process of downloading and extracting the two required programs.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caruana View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering how to convert shn files to flac. I found quite a few torrents on here which give you shn files. I would like to know the best way to convert them to flac for easier listening.

Thanks!
    As always for requests like these, it helps to state which operating system you use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snagu View Post
    As always for requests like these, it helps to state which operating system you use.
    I use Windows 10, sorry for not specifying

Thanks
    Thanked 50,481 Times in 1,403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caruana View Post
    I use Windows 10, sorry for not specifying
    For Windows 10 I use Final Media Player, maybe not the best, but don't need convert nothing : https://www.finalmediaplayer.com/index.html

Pink Floyd Audio and Video
    Roger Waters Audio and Video
    David Gilmour Audio and Video
    Syd Barrett Audio and Video
    Nick Mason Audio and Video
    Richard Wright Audio and Video

Thanks

OK, I'm no longer a Windows expert, so can't suggest for you what I actually use. But the other posts already should be good leads for you. Traders Little Helper (Bert13's reply) has been around for years and packages up support for converting between a whole bunch of obscure and common formats. The command line route mentioned by oldpink is a good fallback. And as Nipote points out, some media players can handle the Shorten format already. But if, like me, you download on Windows but want to play back elsewhere in a more common format, then one of the converters is the way to go.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,301 Times in 148 Posts

Yep, I'll echo Bert. Traders Little Helper should literally be everything that you need for converting from WAV and SHN to FLAC or decoding from SHN or FLAC to WAV. You can create checksum files (md5 & ffp), plus you can create torrents. It's basically amazing.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks
    Thanked 50,481 Times in 1,403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post
    Yep, I'll echo Bert. Traders Little Helper should literally be everything that you need for converting from WAV and SHN to FLAC or decoding from SHN or FLAC to WAV. You can create checksum files (md5 & ffp), plus you can create torrents. It's basically amazing.
    And very simple.

Pink Floyd Audio and Video
    Roger Waters Audio and Video
    David Gilmour Audio and Video
    Syd Barrett Audio and Video
    Nick Mason Audio and Video
    Richard Wright Audio and Video

Thanks
    Thanked 2,394 Times in 43 Posts

And also runs in Wine on Mac or Linux.

While it's capabilities are not entirely unique, I can't think of any other application that can create sidecar Seek Table files for SHN's - making them properly seekable on the right players (Foobar includes on-the-fly, Seek Table creation, in memory, within its SHN plugin, which is nice).