Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two studio master tapes, containing songs recorded by PF at Pye Studiios Feb 1969

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Two studio master tapes, containing songs recorded by PF at Pye Studiios Feb 1969

I'm afraid that our collective pockets may not be deep enough for this auction, but I'm willing to do my part. We'll need about 100 others though. Here's the link: https://bid.omegaauctions.co.uk/auct...p=48&pn=12&g=1

Lot 547 (Day 1: Music Memorabilia | Day 2: Rare & Collectable Vinyl Records, 27th April 2021)

PINK FLOYD 'MORE' STUDIO MASTER TAPES.
    PINK FLOYD 'MORE' STUDIO MASTER TAPES. Two 8-track studio master tapes, containing songs recorded by Pink Floyd at Pye Studios, London circa Jan / Feb 1969. Track titles inc: Paris Bar, Stefan's Tit, Ibiza Bar, 'Theme' Dramatic Version, Main Theme. Many would appear on the soundtrack to 'More'. Provenance: the vendor worked at Pye Studios c 1979. When the studio was clearing unclaimed tapes, he was given the two reels. Note: These items are sold as artefacts only, without copyright. Any reproduction is strictly prohibited.

Estimate
    £3,000 - £5,000

Buyer's premium: 28.00% inc VAT
    Download Lot Details

Thanks
    Thanked 7,126 Times in 145 Posts

Cool! I can be of assistance, but this will definitely take a herculean effort to accomplish. We would need most everybody to pony up to get this done. Someone trustworthy, somebody knowledgeable about these auctions, somebody who's probably British lol Clearly I am not qualified
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

I would contribute money for this. But assuming someone from this community were to win, who would transfer the tapes to digital? I have access to an 8 track, one inch tape machine and a Protools rig. I would be happy to do the transfer.

Thanks

Happy to contribute as well.

Thanks

I'm in, but I'm broke - I can help for 50 euros (via paypal). I know it's far to be enough, but if we are many amongst us to contribute to "a pledge"...
    I have read the comments about the description of the tape. How can we sure that some titles are not already released from the Early Years set ? For instance "Main Theme from More"- this is not the kind of "upbeat" version which was on the Early Years box set ?

Does the seller provide some audio samples ?

at last it's 8-track reels, which means we would be allowed to isolate each channels which can provide some results significantly different that we can achieve with the stereo release- even though the take would be the final one from the album.

Thanks

oh, and, not that I have a little problem for Mimsy Farmer: but are you sure that the comment for the song is not "Mimsy Farmer's Tit instead of "Christian's Tit" ? (or is it a typo : tilt instead of tit and is it the scene in Paris with the pinball machine? I don't remember a Pink Floyd song played there- have to put again the movie)

Thanks

Waow at last these reels reappear!

About the writings on the boxes:
    TK1 = take 1 (easy )
    F/S = false start ?
    B/D = ? Bass and drums only? If so, why no guitar, Dave is on bass?
    COMP = complete?
    O/D = overdub

On Paris Bar, track 3 has bass and vocals, whereas there are 2 other tracks of vocals and one of bass (all 3 not noted as overdub) . Was it a basic track meant to be erased, guiding for the overdubs? Sorry I don't have the English word for "prise-témoin".

On Stephan's Tit (GITC), who's playing acc guitar on track 2 ("PH...") ?
    On this song the bass overdub erased the drums track.

On Main Theme, "Master begins approx 30 secs before the start of take 8": I understand the gong was overdubbed and add an intro to this take

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oneofmypages View Post
    Waow at last these reels reappear!

About the writings on the boxes:
    TK1 = take 1 (easy )
    F/S = false start ?
    B/D = ? Bass and drums only? If so, why no guitar, Dave is on bass?
    COMP = complete?
    O/D = overdub

On Paris Bar, track 3 has bass and vocals, whereas there are 2 other tracks of vocals and one of bass (all 3 not noted as overdub) . Was it a basic track meant to be erased, guiding for the overdubs? Sorry I don't have the English word for "prise-témoin".

On Stephan's Tit (GITC), who's playing acc guitar on track 2 ("PH...") ?
    On this song the bass overdub erased the drums track.

On Main Theme, "Master begins approx 30 secs before the start of take 8": I understand the gong was overdubbed and add an intro to this take
    "B/D" could be "bounce down"? The acoustic guitars are "Rog" and "Dave".

The title "Nile" is scratched out next to "Paris Bar". "Party Sequence" is scratched out on the first tape, meaning wiped/not present? Seeing as these titles are all tied to the scenes in which they appear, that could be a candidate for "Seabirds", right? Because we've already seen titles being switched around, "Seabirds" is heard at a party, and if this was the other "Party Sequence", why would there by any need for eight tracks? No idea if those empty slots mean anything as long as the title is scratched out, mind you. But still, even if this is/was just the bongos+flute jam, I'd be curious to know how much of that stuff they recorded, and wouldn't mind clean mixes of the additional excerpts heard in the movie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dallasman View Post
    "B/D" could be "bounce down"? The acoustic guitars are "Rog" and "Dave".
    B/D is BreakDown.

Thanks

Great thread, indeed. Of course, I would join the party as well and spent some bucks, if we were prepared to make a joint bid