Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Two studio master tapes, containing songs recorded by PF at Pye Studiios Feb 1969

Thanks
    Thanked 35,311 Times in 429 Posts

Just checked the link after my last post and it looks like the auction has been ended. It was still live this morning.

Thanks

I wonder if the band's management found it, then... That'd probably be the best thing to happen to them...
    "If I participate in this f***ing effort I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Thanks

Just tried the auction site link again, and it’s up and running.
    So, the auction is still happening?!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Outside The Wall View Post
    Just tried the auction site link again, and it’s up and running.
    So, the auction is still happening?!
    The auction description was changed from

the vendor worked at Pye Studios c 1979. When the studio was clearing unclaimed tapes, he was given the two reels.

to

the vendor worked at Pye Studios in the 1970's and 80's and was given these (rather than them being destroyed) when the client failed to collect them after being kept in storage for 10+ years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rivrs View Post
    My first reaction when I read this was "Cymbol / Hand Drum". Now that it is suggested, I can see Loud Delay as a possibility as well.
    I had the "drum" thought too, FWIW. Maybe some sort of Photoshop filter could tell us for sure?

Regarding the Mono Copy: I just noticed that the 3 horizontal dashes on the exhibition reel seem to correspond with the 3 tracks that (may) have vocals. It's been stated by someone officially that the track released on The Early Years was labeled Seabirds on the box, and I think we've concluded to a very high percentage that this reel is the source for those 4 TEY tracks. So what do those 3 dashes mean if not to denote a track with vocals?
    Great catch on those dashes, which I keep meaning and forgetting to take into account. I agree that it has to be significant that the songs with vocals on the soundtrack -- Seabirds, Crying Song, Paris Bar -- all have a distinct symbol. (Note that A Spanish Piece doesn't have vocals on the soundtrack, only on the LP!)

Also note that the alleged Waterpipe and Quicksilver have no markings. So, if "\" means instrumental and "–" means vocal, what does no marking mean?

I also wonder about the numbers on the masking tape (or whatever sort of tape that is), off to the right. Clearly they correspond to the individual cuts and mean something. But what do Crying Song, Seabirds, Up the Khyber, and Paris Bar have in common such that they get marked with a "0", while "'Spanish' Music" and Hollywood get a "1", etc.?

And is someone lying for some reason, or was the mistake made in 1969 when these titles were written?
    I doubt anyone's lying, in that I think whatever music is at counter positions 0950-1040 is what we received as "Seabirds [sic]". I'm leaning towards an error made in 1969, and can only hold out hope that the tracks labeled Quicksilver or Waterpipe are Seabirds and were overlooked at the reel's end. More likely, though, is that they just transferred the Quicksilver improvisation again for whatever reason -- this time including additional music, but also dividing it into two separate pieces.

The auction description was changed from

the vendor worked at Pye Studios c 1979. When the studio was clearing unclaimed tapes, he was given the two reels.

to

the vendor worked at Pye Studios in the 1970's and 80's and was given these (rather than them being destroyed) when the client failed to collect them after being kept in storage for 10+ years.
    Very smart change of phrasing. While the copyright on the content of the tapes belongs to Pink Floyd, the physical objects would appear to be abandoned property (akin to a storage locker on which the rent hasn't been paid), and as such would belong to whoever salvages them. I don't really see any grounds for objecting to the auction, though I still think it'd probably be best if the tapes went to the band. (If the material on these looked more intriguing, i.e. if the early Cymbaline or Seabirds were on them, I might feel differently.)

Thanks

I think that if Y! wins this auction, some people should form a team with the task of re-mixing the songs (somebody came up with that idea earlier, saying that the album mix as-is is a bit flat). But then, we should send the finished effort to PF (along with the tapes), and see what happens. (MQR have actually done this with one of their many ZP releases, I can't remember which one it was though...) (Besides, this idea might be absolute bollocks, anyway).

If this happens, I'd love to help out with the remix, but sadly my pockets have run too dry to contribute any useful amount to this cause...
    "If I participate in this f***ing effort I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,289 Times in 62 Posts

It was the ATZPoV release, which we sent to Roger, Nick and (not sure) David.
    Roger wasn't uninterested if I remember correctly.

I think there's no need to say that I would be absolutely happy, if I was asked to participate in remixing those tracks in case Y! wins the auction.

Once they've been transferred I'd be grateful for being teamed up with jimfisheye for cleaning and mixing the stuff.
    Besides some experience in mixing I had the opportunity to collect in the past decades I just love "more".

BTW: Why don't you just follow the link below and give my latest album a listen?
    “Stupidity has a certain charm - ignorance does not.”
    Frank Zappa

Look for news on soundcloud

Latest Album

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 27 Posts

I can add few dineros if one is going to buy it...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,369 Times in 43 Posts

If the Floyd wants the reels I'm sure they are just a phone call away, and even if they had to pay, it would be pocket change (a full set of tyres for a McLaren F1 is £40,000 so these reels are nothing!).

Thanks

If one of you spring for it, I'm sure the cost could be recouped quite a bit here. More is some of my favorite PF music, I'm down for some contribution as well, FYI whomever you may be!