Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Two studio master tapes, containing songs recorded by PF at Pye Studiios Feb 1969

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dream79 View Post
    There's a really good cover version of Seabirds on You Tube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ-scpZNIxE by Darkside The Pink Floyd Show. Probably the closest we'll get to the real thing for the time being...
    Ah, that's really cool! Thanks for posting this! It's good to finally know what this song is like as a full length song and not just excerpts.

I do wonder why they left it off of the album. Is there any information on that to be found anywhere?

Would be cool if Nick's band played it whenever their next tour can go ahead. Seabirds and One in A Million would be really cool... anyway, Thanks for all the interesting reading in this thread everyone!

Thanks

Default Cirrus Minor

Thanks to all the people who are making extraordinary research efforts regarding "More" and putting their thoughts on this thread - fantastic!

Just one point to make about 'Cirrus Minor': yes, the (Blackburn) Cirrus Minor was an aircraft engine, and Roger Waters may have been thinking about that, but, surely the title of the song and the lyric is referring to a small (minor) cloud (cirrus)!

Further thanks to nipote for this thread, too: http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...ore-Soundtrack

Cheers!
    Last edited by Outside The Wall; 2021-04-05 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,369 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rivrs View Post
    I believe there is one other excerpt of Main Theme in the film. It is in the previously cut scene that was replaced in The Early Years version. It is right after Stefan says "outcasts in our own micro-society". It sounds like an excerpt from the same version used during the opening credits.
    Wow. I did not realise that version of the More film on The Early Years was a different cut to the BFI version that I was familiar with.
    Looking closely, it seems there are edit differences even between the early and later BFI releases, as well as between them and the Early Years DVD.
    And the NTSC versions I have of the BFI BluRay and the Early Years DVD run slower than the PAL earlier BFI DVD I have as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Also interesting that they went 30 IPS for Green is the Colour aka Stefan's Tit, and only that track. I wonder why?
    Is it possible they recorded this on another tape, but bounced it here when they decided to overdub bass on to the drum track so as not to lose the original drum track? The fact that it is only one take where all the other tracks have a few attempts gives me this impression that this was not part of the working session for this track. It could be that they nailed it in one take, that's not out of the realm of possibility, but it does sort of stick out on these two tapes as being the only 1 take track.

I guess another possibility was the faster speed was used because the track had vocals and was a better song so they wanted the better quality, but then I would think there would have been more of a possibility there would be multiple takes. If Paris Bar is The Nile Song, or some other song with vocals then the fact that they may have been using the faster speed for the songs with vocals makes more sense. I can't tell from the box whether Paris Bar is also 30ips or if it is 15.

A thought on the title Seabirds as it relates to a scene in the film. There is a very hallucinatory scene when Stefan is on the boat travelling to Ibiza that starts with some gulls flying overhead, then shows an overhead shot of him, then zooms in close to the bow of the boat cutting through the water. The Quicksilver track, if Schroeder could have figured out how to make it diegetic would have fit this scene well.

We also don't know if there was a scene that was cut from the film which may have been Seabirds related, such as someone getting stoned and looking up at birds in the sky.

I'm thinking 'Seabirds' may have been originally a title for a scene, either written down by the Floyd while taking notes, or given to them by Schroeder as one of the scenes that needed music. Ultimately, it didn't get used for that scene and the music was dropped into one of the other scenes in the film.

As far as Seabirds with lyrics, Roger could have picked up on this theme and written the song or just the lyrics (as some have conjectured the song itself could have been written earlier) after the Seabirds title wasn't being used anymore, at that point it only existed on the tape box and no one would know about it besides the people working on the recordings. I don't think it is referred to in the film credits.

Barbet Schroeder uses a lot of foreshadowing in this film, many of them are very subtle. The track Seabirds playing at a party when we the viewer have no idea the protagonists are heading to Ibiza could be another of these devices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Wow. I did not realise that version of the More film on The Early Years was a different cut to the BFI version that I was familiar with.
    Looking closely, it seems there are edit differences even between the early and later BFI releases, as well as between them and the Early Years DVD.
    And the NTSC versions I have of the BFI BluRay and the Early Years DVD run slower than the PAL earlier BFI DVD I have as well.
    I just discovered this too about a week ago. I still have my 1991 US VHS which has this scene, albeit cropped to 4:3 and in very degraded quality, but neither the US DVD or the BFI Blu ray had it. The VHS has something that is not in The Early Years version or either of the 2 previous digital releases I have and that is text on the screen near the beginning with a bit of an explaination about the source of the story. (low res photos of those 2 screens attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

For what it's worth, this is what the PF Facebook page had to say at the time of the TEY box. Not sure it adds a lot really...

"There's been some discussion over the Seabirds track on The Early Years box set, from reviewers who have an early version of the collection. When the More movie soundtrack work was completed, the tapes of the tracks to be used went to the film company, so the high quality full vocal version of Seabirds is now sadly lost. On the box set are tracks not used in the film, and therefore kept in the archives. One of those tracks - an instrumental also called Seabirds - is included on the set and has never been heard before."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,369 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rivrs View Post
    I just discovered this too about a week ago. I still have my 1991 US VHS which has this scene, albeit cropped to 4:3 and in very degraded quality, but neither the US DVD or the BFI Blu ray had it. The VHS has something that is not in The Early Years version or either of the 2 previous digital releases I have and that is text on the screen near the beginning with a bit of an explaination about the source of the story. (low res photos of those 2 screens attached)
    Thanks for the further details! I have a couple of early UK VHS releases and I know Neon has a French VHS from the early 90’s. I think we should dig these out for a full comparison!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marksturdy View Post
    For what it's worth, this is what the PF Facebook page had to say at the time of the TEY box. Not sure it adds a lot really...

"There's been some discussion over the Seabirds track on The Early Years box set, from reviewers who have an early version of the collection. When the More movie soundtrack work was completed, the tapes of the tracks to be used went to the film company, so the high quality full vocal version of Seabirds is now sadly lost. On the box set are tracks not used in the film, and therefore kept in the archives. One of those tracks - an instrumental also called Seabirds - is included on the set and has never been heard before."
    This does seem to support goldenband's theory that there was more than one mixdown tape sent to BS. I also think goldenband may be on to something about one tape being instrumentals and one being tracks with vocals. This statement also indicates they knew the difference between the Seabirds we all want and the one we got. My hopes for it being on the exhibition reel are fading. My hopes for it being on these auction reels are gone.

Thanks

That assumes that whoever wrote that was in full possession of the facts, and describing the TEY 'Seabirds' as "never heard before" rather suggests not...

Thanks

Just an observation on the idea that Cirrus Minor originated before the More sessions. One of those Capital session tracks from 1968 has the verse chord progression of Cirrus Minor in it. The other track sounds like Hollywood of course. Apologies if others have pointed out the Cirrus minor connection and I missed it.

Also wanted to comment that it’s kind of funny that when these tapes surfaced 10 years ago or more, many of us were kind of devastated that they went back underground again. Now they show up again, and the sleuths have determined that we were not really missing out on much after all. A relief, really, but a bit of a bummer too. My biggest hope is that a copy of Seabirds and the live Ummagumma reels show up one day. The 1969 Man and The Journey show in Belgium as well... Moonhead from a better source... anything from 1969 immediately gets my attention. Pardon the ramble. Please do carry on!