Thread: David doing stage announcements instead of Roger ?

Thanks

Default David doing stage announcements instead of Roger ?

Roger did nearly all the stage announcements for the band from 1967-1981.

On how many ROIOs did David Gilmour do any stage announcements at all for the years 1967-1981?

I can only think of 2 off the top of my head:

11/06/1971 Emerson Gym, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio - Please do not smoke, etc. Someone is not feeling well for reasons I don't understand.

06/29/1977 The Spectrum, Philadelphia, Penn. - Before Us and Them, David Gilmour announces Roger isn't feeling well and they perform the song with Snowy White on bass. Roger was given Morphine [?] before the show for his Hepatitis C, I believe.
    This can only be heard on Recorder 1 for this date.
    --

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edbrollroio View Post
    Roger did nearly all the stage announcements for the band from 1967-1981.

On how many ROIOs did David Gilmour do any stage announcements at all for the years 1967-1981?

I can only think of 2 off the top of my head:

11/06/1971 Emerson Gym, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio - Please do not smoke, etc. Someone is not feeling well for reasons I don't understand.

06/29/1977 The Spectrum, Philadelphia, Penn. - Before Us and Them, David Gilmour announces Roger isn't feeling well and they perform the song with Snowy White on bass. Roger was given Morphine [?] before the show for his Hepatitis C, I believe.
    This can only be heard on Recorder 1 for this date.
    --
    Not sure if this is too specific, but I believe David introduces Young Lust on 02/27/1980 instead of Roger. I think that's the only day of The Wall Tour where he does that.

Thanks

Off the top of my head, Gilmour would perhaps have done more stage announcements for shows with a French speaking audience, due to Gilmour being a fluent French speaker, so not just France, parts of Canada too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Journey Man View Post
    Off the top of my head, Gilmour would perhaps have done more stage announcements for shows with a French speaking audience, due to Gilmour being a fluent French speaker, so not just France, parts of Canada too.
    Right, Paris 1970-01-23 is one example of that. As transcribed by abronsius:

"C'est le dernier morceau qu'on va jouer ce soir, on sait pas très bien ce qu'on va faire, on l'a écrit la semaine dernière, alors on-y va..." ("This is the last piece we're going to play tonight. We don't really know what we're going to do, we wrote it last week, so let's go...")

I'm sure there are more, just can't think of them right now.

Thanks

Not exactly announcements, but Dave bickering with Roger in the Wall rehearsal sessions: "I didn't stop, Nick stopped..." etc.

Also, on 1973-03-06 St Louis a very annoyed Dave loses his microphone during Echoes, leaving a fascinating a capella Rick version of pt 2 of the song. At the conclusion Dave can be heard sound checking his microphone.
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RemembranceCCF View Post
    Not sure if this is too specific, but I believe David introduces Young Lust on 02/27/1980 instead of Roger. I think that's the only day of The Wall Tour where he does that.
    Roger introduces Young Lust on the 27th. It's painfully obvious with his sarcastic "that's absolutely marvelous" comment.

The show you might be thinking of is February 13th 1980, where David and Roger scream into the mic "ARE YOU READY TO GET DOWN AND BOOGY" and "ARE YOU READY FOR GILMOUR?!"
    Last edited by Have A Cigar; 2021-12-27 at 08:11 AM.
    Concerts:

Roger Waters - Philadelphia, 2017.

Ozzy Osbourne - Camden, NJ, 2018.

Thanks

In Quebec 1971 french introduction of Atom Heart Mother.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Have A Cigar View Post
    Roger introduces Young Lust on the 27th. It's painfully obvious with his sarcastic "that's absolutely marvelous" comment.
    I'm not sure it's that simple. A few friends and I were arguing about this a while back after I got my copy of Vernon Fitch's Comfortably Numb. He labels David as the speaker on February 27th, which caused us to try and listen in. Personally I think it's David from how he says "this next tune" but it's kind of hard to tell. I'm inclined to trust Mr. Fitch though, so I guess I'll stick with David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Right, Paris 1970-01-23 is one example of that. As transcribed by abronsius:

"C'est le dernier morceau qu'on va jouer ce soir, on sait pas très bien ce qu'on va faire, on l'a écrit la semaine dernière, alors on-y va..." ("This is the last piece we're going to play tonight. We don't really know what we're going to do, we wrote it last week, so let's go...")

I'm sure there are more, just can't think of them right now.
    well, not in front of the audience (and David is about to burst into laughing (whilst Roger is mocking David "he is very shy") at the French TV introducing "A Saucerful Of Secrets" (or was is "Heart Of The Sun") ?

the thing is that Roger is not in talkative mood. At best he will comments some songs "this song is about a nightmare" (Cymbaline, Fillmore 1970); at worst you can hear "shitbag" at a MSG 77 show. (I won't quote Montreal)- he also introduced the "More" songs as being from the sountrack. Or "this one is Dave's and this is called "Fat Old Sun"), or commenting a song "it was a cruel song but fair" (at the end of the legendary HRV Cruel But Fair after "You Gotta Be Crazy" in L.A 75)
    I can't imagine David saying : this one (like all the others) is Roger's (I'm a bit sarcastic sorry guys). Note that for Atom Heart Mother aka The Amazing Pudding, David insists on the collective work by saying "we just wrote it last week" before playing The Amazing Pudding at Paris, Théâtre des Champs-Elysées.
    And even after The Final Cut, in tour, David was not very talkative. This is almost the same during the Pink Floyd 87-88 tour or 94; perhaps a little bit more in 2002.
    And yes, because David speaks very well French (better that I'm writing currently in English) (his interview about the Wall is priceless and fascinating - I think that was an Antoine De Caunes interview) David tended to introduce more "confidentially" in front of French or Canadian audience some Pink Floyd numbers.
    But I'm always interested about some comments about a song (this rarely happens)- the most commenting song before being played is - I think - "Shine On" in 1974 or 1975, Roger introduced the song with some different comments about Syd.

More technically I think that because Pink Floyd was an "entity" (despite Roger is the songwriter), songs were rather album suite, thus does not need to be introduced; expect the new material with a few comments.
    I think that's a bit odd to "leave" The Wall-story and immersion by introducing "Young Lust" like a usual rock song number; whereas Roger introducing Run Like Hell is much more like he is in the character of the Wall.

Perhaps, more technically, because Roger was the last one to tune his bass before the song (or during the song) most of the announcements where by Roger; or some apologizes (if really necessary because of power breakdown or never-ending tuning)
    no offense to Roger, I'm a bit sarcastic, but I think that's how it was.