Thread: '72 & '73

Thanks

Default '72 & '73

This era is a big gaping hole in my collection, partially because I find the studio version of Dark Side so perfect that the live versions don't hold as much interest, and partially because of the intense frustration of the perfect-sounding Rainbow show being so cut, sliced, and diced, it just seems unfair to have to trade down so far in sound quality just to get a full show. But, I'd like to fill the gap & there are definitely more sources in the best sources thread since the last time I paid much attention to the period.

So, what are some favorites?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keleven View Post
    This era is a big gaping hole in my collection, partially because I find the studio version of Dark Side so perfect that the live versions don't hold as much interest, and partially because of the intense frustration of the perfect-sounding Rainbow show being so cut, sliced, and diced, it just seems unfair to have to trade down so far in sound quality just to get a full show. But, I'd like to fill the gap & there are definitely more sources in the best sources thread since the last time I paid much attention to the period.

So, what are some favorites?

my personal favorite right now is the 1973-03-11 "Collector's Edition": http://yeeshkul.com/forum/attachment...1&d=1243790846

Thanks

I very much like Bournemouth 1972-01-22, the first full Dark Side show, precisely for that reason. Sure, it's missing the closing track "Eclipse" because it didn't exist yet (instead it ends with a very disappointing "downward" beep), but I really like hearing the very first incarnations of the songs, and how the instrumental parts were much more similar to what they were doing in their concerts only a few months earlier. I still feel extremely lucky that something like this a) exists, b) is easily available and c) I could obtain it for free in a matter of minutes. Not to mention the amount of effort selflessly made by some people to master it and make it sound nicely. A jewel, in my opinion.

Thanks

December 9th, 1972 is one of their best shows of all time in my opinion. One of These Days alone from that show is top 3 contender for best version ever at least.

Hollywood Bowl (September 22nd, 1972) is another top 10 best show of all time with an insane version of Careful with That Axe that blew out one of the mics.
    Last edited by Have A Cigar; 2021-12-26 at 05:45 AM.
    Concerts:

Roger Waters - Philadelphia, 2017.

Ozzy Osbourne - Camden, NJ, 2018.

Thanks

Yeah, I am listening to the recently posted Hollywood Bowl transfer right now and the SQ is most pleasing

Thanks

Default Chicago 72

For me the recording from Chicago 28th April 1972 is a highlight. It feels like you are there - right in the music. Superb.