Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Atom Heart Mother (Hakone Aphrodite 50th Anniversary Edition)

Thanks

I did a careful side-by-side comparison between the original Hakone video and this new transfer and can confirm that this new release is exactly the same edit as the original film with one difference. At the 5-minute mark there is approximately 24 seconds of footage missing from all previous versions. There’s a really bad glitch at the 5-minute mark and I’m assuming that the proceeding 24 seconds of footage was damaged and an edit was made to remove it when it went into circulation.

I’m pretty certain that the original audio was replaced but the recording has yet to be identified.

Here’s the original film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2VOgGerXF4
    Last edited by Roscoe59; 2021-08-07 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,830 Times in 28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    I’m pretty certain that the original audio was replaced but the recording has yet to be identified.
    Yesterday there was an event in Hakone for the release of the AHM 50th anniversary edition, which I was able to attend, and I asked general manager of Sony Music Japan at the event how the release process came about.
    He told me that the original plan was to use the audio from the film optical soundtrack, but Pink Floyd refused to allow it (because the sound quality was too poor).
    Sony sent various sound sources to Pink Floyd, but these were also rejected, and Sony was even told to replace the sound with a live recording from another country, as it was not of Pink Floyd quality.
    But Sony's general manager insisted: "We want to make something that will resonate with the Japanese people, so we have to include the Hakone recordings." he persisted.
    PF manager said that he would leave the final decision to David Gilmour, and he sent me a sound source that he said I could use. That was stereo audience recording that was used this time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shuffle View Post
    Yesterday there was an event in Hakone for the release of the AHM 50th anniversary edition, which I was able to attend, and I asked general manager of Sony Music Japan at the event how the release process came about.
    He told me that the original plan was to use the audio from the film optical soundtrack, but Pink Floyd refused to allow it (because the sound quality was too poor).
    Sony sent various sound sources to Pink Floyd, but these were also rejected, and Sony was even told to replace the sound with a live recording from another country, as it was not of Pink Floyd quality.
    But Sony's general manager insisted: "We want to make something that will resonate with the Japanese people, so we have to include the Hakone recordings." he persisted.
    PF manager said that he would leave the final decision to David Gilmour, and he sent me a sound source that he said I could use. That was stereo audience recording that was used this time.
    Very interesting story!

So this should be the best source available ?!

All the best
    Nils

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shuffle View Post
    Thanks for the info. So the audio was recorded at Hakone but was the date identified?

Thanks

Seems like the footage actually features some stuff from the 7th as well.
    Very exciting and interesting

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WorldmanOne View Post
    Seems like the footage actually features some stuff from the 7th as well.
    Very exciting and interesting
    Indeed. I think this was always known considering the change in the band's clothes during the performances seen in this footage.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,299 Times in 48 Posts

Thanks for the info. So the audio was recorded at Hakone but was the date identified?
    The audio should be August 7th recorder 3.
    Have you heard the word is love?

Thanks

Indeed. I think this was always known considering the change in the band's clothes during the performances seen in this footage.
    Oh really? I must’ve missed that before.
    During the live segments David was the only that was obvious to me now.
    Guess I’ve never thought about it before.
    Last edited by WorldmanOne; 2021-08-09 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WorldmanOne View Post
    Oh really? I must’ve missed that before.
    During the live segments David was the only that was obvious to me now.
    Guess I’ve never thought about it before.
    Considering how bad the quality has been in the past it's no surprise that some might easily miss details like this.

And FYI, Andy Jackson doesn't know anything about the audio that Gilmour reportedly submitted for the film. Must have been something he did on his own.
    Last edited by Roscoe59; 2021-08-09 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks

I love this release. The packaging is just amazing and I loved the Blu-ray.

The shots look stunning, with only Richard being too far back so his shots look blurred.

It's a lovely time capsule of Floyd's visit to Japan, from flying in, to press conferences, to local transit, to playing, to flying back.