Thread: Aussie Psychedelia

Thanks

Default Aussie Psychedelia

Thought that you guys might appreciate this Australian pop song from 1969.
    It was a huge hit here, amazing considering the nature of the track and it's length.
    Love to hear what PF fans think of this song, we are all inordinately proud of it down here naturally!
    Please overlook daggy visuals, I never knew it had a film clip back in the day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wylEB-P76nA

Thanks

Nice tune, it starts off like Donovan and his Hurdy Gurdy Man and then goes freak out. Always interesting to see other areas in the 60s/70s Music scene beside the USA and Europe.

Thanks

Enjoyed the song, but loved the vid even more. I think my acid kicked in at some point in the middle . The interpretive dance chicks in body suits don't hurt the eyes either. Thanks for the interesting link.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anredeon View Post
    Nice tune, it starts off like Donovan and his Hurdy Gurdy Man
    This song's title should have been "Hurdy Gurdy Man is the Actual Real Thing". The whole chord progression and the vocal rhythm are obviously a near rip off of Donovan's song from a year earlier. Interesting rec though, especially the Beatles-like psychedelic phasing in the second half.
    www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Rae View Post
    This song's title should have been "Hurdy Gurdy Man is the Actual Real Thing". The whole chord progression and the vocal rhythm are obviously a near rip off of Donovan's song from a year earlier. Interesting rec though, especially the Beatles-like psychedelic phasing in the second half.
    Good pick up there re Donovan, I think there's 2 really interesting aspects to the song: the extending flanging section and also the persistent rhythmic drumming track with apocalyptic sound effects crashing all round ending in an atomic bomb, reminiscent of anything???
    Just an idle theory of mine, not strongly defendable....but they may have still heard it here in 1971.

Thanks

Ahhhh. A classic that I first heard on one of the Rubble compilations. It was an instant fave and it wasn’t till years later I found out it was such a big hit and not some forgotten obscurity.

Thanks

Old mate still performs and does a great job. I met him and recorded his set one night back in July of 2011.