Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSOTM "Easter Eggs" and a Light Show

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default DSOTM "Easter Eggs" and a Light Show

I struggled where to put this- Reddit, or here, and decided the quality of responses was more important than the quantity.

I do insane XMAS lights (60,000 RGB pixels, synchronized to music, radio broadcast, interactive show...every HOA's worst nightmare). The reason I built the insane XMAS light show was not for XMAS music, of course, but so I could host an "underground album party" and say "well, I already had the lights, so..."

I am not subtle.

Naturally, for the inaugural album party, I'm running DSOTM. I'm about halfway done sequencing the album (2011 remaster) and while I know every mumbled phrase and the timing of the 8-note On the Run sequence down to the nearest millisecond (just over 90ms between notes), the list of "moments" or "Easter Eggs" in the album that move me probably isn't the same as yours. I want to know what moments you listen for/anticipate. These are sounds I want to make sure have a visual reference. At the bottom is a video of some proof of concept work I did early on, just so you can see what I'm up to a bit more clearly.
    Here are some examples if things I'm thinking of already:
    - Rototoms on Time
    - The opening/closing heartbeat
    - The plane crash at the end of On the Run
    - Rick's angry, then sad chords backing Clare Torry on Great Gig
    - Rick's "bells" at the beginning of Time (backing the rototoms)
    - The spoken words
    - "For want of the price of tea and a slice..."
    - "Home, home again..."
    - Every time Gilmour looks in the direction of a guitar

The point of asking is that if the show goes well, I'm scheduled to show it to a group of Floydians in April, and I do like to pander. With that: what chord changes, sound effects, movements, phrases, or whatever do you have an emotional attachment to in DSOTM? I'm running a 40fps/25ms show, so even tiny things are no problem.

Here's that video. Keep in mind, it's just a scratchpad of examples for side 1, and is not even close to what the finished product will look like. Big gaps, some absolutely awful sections...it's just a sample. But- I am showing the stage video you see on that big tree, timed precisely as the band did on stage. Thank you, Immersion Box! Definitely watch in 720p.
    https://youtu.be/NW2SsIPaSX0

PS: Even if I don't get a single response, thanks! Just the site itself has been a huge resource for me in preparing. I only wish I had more OC to share with you all, as I've certainly taken more than I deserve.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 35 Posts

The beginning guitar chords of Brain Damage always do something to me emotionally.

Thanks

Listened to the album today while running, incidentally.

There is a very soft piece of guitar (left channel, at https://youtu.be/NW2SsIPaSX0?t=134)
    Also, the atonal organ in GGITS: https://youtu.be/NW2SsIPaSX0?t=989)

Of course, Nick's drumming in GGITS.

And the speeding-up of the tape (or bent piano chord) at the of GGITS.

The whole craziness of ACYL and then the soothing beginning of Brain Damage, including Roger's voice.

I'm non-native speaker of English, so not all of the lyrics are clear to me, even after 28 years of knowing the record. So, over the years, I've had some revelations as to what some lines really mean, e.g.:
    - For want of the price of tea and a slice the old man died
    - The paper holds their folded faces to the floor and everyday the paperboy brings more

So much to discover even after so many years.

Good luck with your project.

And a technical question: what we see in the video is a demo how it will look, not the proper installation at your house, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkpf View Post
    Listened to the album today while running, incidentally.

There is a very soft piece of guitar (left channel, at https://youtu.be/NW2SsIPaSX0?t=134)
    Also, the atonal organ in GGITS: https://youtu.be/NW2SsIPaSX0?t=989)

Of course, Nick's drumming in GGITS.

And the speeding-up of the tape (or bent piano chord) at the of GGITS.

The whole craziness of ACYL and then the soothing beginning of Brain Damage, including Roger's voice.

I'm non-native speaker of English, so not all of the lyrics are clear to me, even after 28 years of knowing the record. So, over the years, I've had some revelations as to what some lines really mean, e.g.:
    - For want of the price of tea and a slice the old man died
    - The paper holds their folded faces to the floor and everyday the paperboy brings more

So much to discover even after so many years.

Good luck with your project.

And a technical question: what we see in the video is a demo how it will look, not the proper installation at your house, right?
    So...holy crap, I had no idea people would get the spirit of this question so spot on! Thanks immensely.

The video is a rendered simulation of what it will look like. The rendering is pretty much WYSIWYG, except a couple of bits- The models are shown in 2D, like those weird shapes in the big front tree, but those are all 3D models in real life. Those weird shapes in the tree are actually big balls covered in lights. Other videos on my channel show a live view. If anything, it looks twice as good live. You just can't easily simulate all the reflections and on-location effects.

As for your list:
    - the left channel guitar is that chord plucking hiding in the back...I totally know what you're talking about. LOVE IT
    - I'm already tracking all 3 of your GGITS recommendations. Nick's drumming is going to be a lot of fun to finish off, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who listens for that organ.
    - ACYL is going to get a lot of attention, and now it looks like I need to make something special happen at the song transition for sure.
    - Both of those phrases you mentioned are going to get special treatment.

This is so great; thank you so much!

Thanks

You need some kind of visual thing to happen at the moment that Rick's keyboard come in loud at the "Run, rabbit run..." part of Breathe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
    You need some kind of visual thing to happen at the moment that Rick's keyboard come in loud at the "Run, rabbit run..." part of Breathe.
    That's a good one. He hits that rising chord a couple of times there.

Thanks

Also add something for that brief feedback noise on Money.

Thanks

When the slide guitar enters on Breathe

Thanks

The small, solitary voice saying "I never said I was frightened of dying" gets me every time. I would have a single, small light pulse to those words while the rest of the display is dark.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grignr View Post
    The small, solitary voice saying "I never said I was frightened of dying" gets me every time. I would have a single, small light pulse to those words while the rest of the display is dark.
    When I get the final draft of that side done, I'll share it here, because it's a key moment for me, too. I currently have the words appear dimly in my windows (gray on black), fading out slowly behind her. As the words are being spoken, most of the lights are dimming off, so the focus at that moment zeroes right into those words. Your idea of the Jimney Cricket/Tinker Bell/Conscience light pulse is really good. Sort of like a tiny pinhole from whence the words emanate.

I actually tear up a little when she speaks.