Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Crowd Chanting Sound Effect

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    The Buckeye State
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 26 Times in 1 Post

    Default Crowd Chanting Sound Effect

    I've heard this effect on some Later Years material (notably during the end of Venice '89 and spotted throughout the Torino 94 soundboard). I have some questions about it:

    1. What is the best source of this sound effect?
    2. What are they saying?

    At first I thought it was from the end of Fearless, but it doesn't match that at all, since it's just a repeated crowd chant.
    Any help is appreciated.
    "If I participate in this f***ing effort I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bogota, Colombia
    Posts
    606
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 440 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Is that the one that sounds similar to what you hear in Pulse (CD version) at the end of Wish You Were Here? That track was recorded in Rome. So I assume is a way the Italians use to cheer when they are happy and like something in a big event. Maybe one of our Italian comrades can shed some light on it. I seem to recall someone said it was also a chant used in soccer matches, but I'm not 100% sure where I read that.
    R.M.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,707
    Thanks
    527
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 50 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryIsBored View Post
    At first I thought it was from the end of Fearless, but it doesn't match that at all, since it's just a repeated crowd chant.
    It wouldn't, since (on Fearless) that's Liverpool fans singing Gerry and the Pacemakers' You'll Never Walk Alone. Not a LUFC fan, but always sends a shiver down the spine.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    The Buckeye State
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 26 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruben77 View Post
    Is that the one that sounds similar to what you hear in Pulse (CD version) at the end of Wish You Were Here? That track was recorded in Rome. So I assume is a way the Italians use to cheer when they are happy and like something in a big event. Maybe one of our Italian comrades can shed some light on it. I seem to recall someone said it was also a chant used in soccer matches, but I'm not 100% sure where I read that.
    Yeah, that's the one! I have no idea which FX library it came from, but it does appear both there on PULSE and at the end of Venice '89.
    "If I participate in this f***ing effort I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bonn, Germany
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    2,797
    Thanked 947 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryIsBored View Post
    Yeah, that's the one! I have no idea which FX library it came from, but it does appear both there on PULSE and at the end of Venice '89.
    These are real people singing, no FX library

    Check out Modena 1988-07-08 also at the end of WYWH

    Best
    Nils
    Last edited by Skinny12; 2021-10-19 at 07:13 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    The Buckeye State
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 26 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny12 View Post
    These are real people singing, no FX library

    Check out Modena 1988-07-08 also at the end of WYWH

    Best
    Nils
    Interesting, I always thought it was a sound effect ! It's definitely an Italian chant because I've only heard it in Italian shows. It's also interesting that the chant is most prominent after WYWH.

    I'm guessing that it's a way of showing that they liked the music? If only we knew what they were saying... (if anything).
    "If I participate in this f***ing effort I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,722
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked 847 Times in 20 Posts

    Default



    Sounds to me like they're singing "Aleeee ooooh, Aleeee ooooh" or something similar, but I never gave any thought to the meaning of it, if there is any.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bonn, Germany
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    2,797
    Thanked 947 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post


    Sounds to me like they're singing "Aleeee ooooh, Aleeee ooooh" or something similar, but I never gave any thought to the meaning of it, if there is any.
    It is a special Tifosi Fan Chanting...it even has its "official" Song:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sm7FzfhJ1I

    Best
    Nils
    Last edited by Skinny12; 2021-10-20 at 10:52 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    175
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    It's been a long time i'm asking myself this question about these "allé-oh-oh" ! I always thought it means something, but, it seems not :-)
    "Together we stand, Divided we fall"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •