Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matilda Mother live take with Alternate Studio take vocals

Thanks

Thank you for trying this out. A great idea, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by creamcheese View Post
    Same could be done with VPRO Recording from august 1969.
    OK, with that one there would only be a scream in CWTAE and vocals for STC to be added.
    Both Stockholm '67 and this show are begging for that kind of treatment. Kind of wish that they were done that way on the Early Years set. Both recordings would get much more play in my house anyway. I am not a purist when it comes to that kind of thing. The vocals were not buried on those recordings as an artistic choice, so you could argue that dubbing in vocals actually makes it more "as intended by the artist".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    Thank you for trying this out. A great idea, I think.

Both Stockholm '67 and this show are begging for that kind of treatment. Kind of wish that they were done that way on the Early Years set. Both recordings would get much more play in my house anyway. I am not a purist when it comes to that kind of thing. The vocals were not buried on those recordings as an artistic choice, so you could argue that dubbing in vocals actually makes it more "as intended by the artist".
    You're completely right. I'm not a purist either, I think it could really benefit the Stockholm concert, I would definitely listen to it more if there were vocals. I agree it's odd that they didn't think of this when making the early years box.
    I really hope something good comes from this thread

Thanks
    Thanked 2,336 Times in 62 Posts

This could be a really nice project indeed.
    I'm rather sure I will get hands on it one day.
    Which vocals would be best to be used?
    I think for Stockholm there isn't too many choices.
    What about the vocals for STC?
    The Ummagumma vocals for both Stockholm and vpro?
    Which scream in CWTAE?
    Suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

This could be a really nice project indeed.
    I'm rather sure I will get hands on it one day.
    Which vocals would be best to be used?
    I think for Stockholm there isn't too many choices.
    What about the vocals for STC?
    The Ummagumma vocals for both Stockholm and vpro?
    Which scream in CWTAE?
    Suggestions would be welcome.
    I don't really feel that Set The Controls needs to be fixed as the vocals are pretty audible already. Maybe it's possible to make them a bit louder?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chazarrelli View Post
    Here is a link to the files. Fair warning they are both lossy.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Cu?usp=sharing

I did this as a bit of fun, but if others find the time to venture into this, I am sure the results can be rather stellar.

Thanks for the interest
    Thanks - I grabbed them but I am backed up on projects now. I hope others try.
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks

Question

since a few weeks, some Beatles fans are uploading many many tracks at : https://x-minus.pro/ai
    Despite some audio artefacts, it is better that what we could achieve before.

The best use of this audio tools would be to isolate a vocal track - clean it up manually then remix it with the main track (if we want to push the vocals "in front of the mix")

one set comes to my mind :

Silent Sea records release several years ago before the immersion set : "The Great Gig In The Sky".
    The first half of this silver CD was MQR "The Best of Tour '72".
    The rest of the CD was totally unheard and exclusive- I use to call it the "One Side Of The Moon" (since it goes from Money to Eclipse).
    It is still different and most intriguing IMHO that the early-rough mix released later officially in the immersion box set.
    Basically the segues are still in progress; this was a "rough" assembly before mixing the segue perfectly, thus each track is longer : for instance "Money" has the complete ending : you can hear David Gilmour's humming "doudoudou" "douloulouloulou" while soloing until Nick Mason drop his last stick.
    "Us & Them" is a wonderful double-saxophone overdubbed- more jazzy-oriented track.

The only drawback was that the vocals are too distant. But the sound quality was and still is : amazing.
    The story goes that the guy who made quickly a copy did not dare to push the faders (supposedly this copy was done during the mixing of the SACD 5.1 of Dark Side)

perhaps someone could try to isolate the vocals : remix it carefully with the tracks to make it sounds better with the vocals more "in front of the mix" and limitating the audio artefacts (I don't have the skills to do this)
    but now, with just tools it is closer to us.

Careful with That Axe, Eugene VPRO : would be a good idea, since the scream can actually be heard in the background. It would be easier if an audience recording of the same gig was circulating.
    Last edited by abronsius; 2021-07-30 at 02:33 AM.

Thanks

Might want to consider this for the Copenhagen '67 show as well...at least for some of the songs.

Thanks

I found this video at the beginning of the year:

https://youtu.be/stDQ_wMOue8

After listening to it, I decided to do a new mix of See Emily Play vocals with the Stockholm live audio and accompany it with a video edit for my channel (finished but not uploaded yet)
    I'm waiting to upload it on the date of the concert... probably

here is the audio (along with other alternative test mixes)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...pB?usp=sharing

hope you like them (my personal favorite is the number 2)

I think that the mix can be better, tell me what do you think

I will try to make a mix for the rest of the songs without vocals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,336 Times in 62 Posts

I did an attempt of my own on Mathilda Mother from Stockholm 67.
    It's a little bit of a 'quick and dirty' thing, so there is room at the top.
    I extracted the vocals from the original stereo mix, but I didn't do it on that karaoke site.
    I used professional software instead, so it is lossless.
    The best algorithm for extracting the vocals seems still to be found or a different source might be used (mono mix?).
    Anyway, I did it with Reaper, doing some sync work, EQing the vocal track to make it sound worse than it came out of separation.
    The charming thing about these old live recordings is that the vocals sound rather bad in most cases, although the overall some quality might be vcery nice (Proof: have a listen to Man/Journey from Amsterdam).
    I used that as a template, and so I purposely made them a bit lo-fi and buried in the mix to make them sound more authentic.

Here's the link:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/53f...8215632/7e372b

The link is valid until 2021-08-04.

Opinions would be welcome...
    Last edited by creamcheese; 2021-07-28 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks

I did an attempt of my own on Mathilda Mother from Stockholm 67.
    It's a little bit of a 'quick and dirty' thing, so there is room at the top.
    I extracted the vocals from the original stereo mix, but I didn't do it on that karaoke site.
    I used professional software instead, so it is lossless.
    The best algorithm for extracting the vocals seems still to be found or a different source might be used (mono mix?).
    Anyway, I did it with Reaper, doing some sync work, EQing the vocal track to make it sound worse than it came out of separation.
    The charming thing about these old live recordings is that the vocals sound rather bad in most cases, although the overall some quality might be vcery nice (Proof: have a listen to Man/Journey from Amsterdam).
    I used that as a template, and so I purposely made them a bit lo-fi and buried in the mix to make them sound more authentic.

Here's the link:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/53f...8215632/7e372b

The link is valid until 2021-08-04.

Opinions would be welcome...
    Now we're talking! Great job!