Thread: "Music to Moog By" , Gershon Kingsley & the moog synthesiser LP

Thanks

Default "Music to Moog By" , Gershon Kingsley & the moog synthesiser LP

I'm just wanting to hear your thoughts on this LP as I suspect it has "classic" status?
    I bought a mint copy of the LP 2 years ago from the States (Audio Fidelity 6226) and I played it a lot in 2020 for lockdown cheer.
    It's very cheesey at times (which I secretly love) and totally inventive, rocking & almost hard core at others, with really high production quality throughout.
    I'm not a musician so can't fully appreciate the keyboard & synth aspects of his work and would love to hear what any players think of it.
    I imagine he was breaking through with a lot of new sounds & techniques here, whilst utilising the familiar sounds of a rock backing band.
    Penny for your thoughts, I'm off to listen to "Popcorn" again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default Strings & Musique Concrete, to Moogs, Synths Analogue & Digital

Hi Axefeld,

This caught my eye. Funnily enough, I've been doing my own 'wee' history of electronic keyboards/ambient in this area on my FB page recently I called it Monologues for Analogues. Moogs featured. It was my reaction against robotic sonic digital technology and it weirded most of my FB 'friends' out. Good! The point I was making to them here was simply that electronic keyboards are nothing new, digital or otherwise. To mostly a younger 'dance' oriented clubber types and the nostalgic. I've always had a sonic interest in keys and sound effects. I think the Beach Boys 'Good Vibrations' was to blame. Today though I much prefer my hard rock and think often about how TRex and other early 70's British bands might have sounded a whole lot better without all those 'corny' strings surely added for commercial appeal. BBC TOTP's orchestra? Musicians Union? Moogs or synths set them and future artists free from that type of labour intensive protectionism.

Sure I've heard of this 'moog' album and recently.

I'm absolutely sure that this YT vid ripped my germ of an idea off. Although it mentions Floyd's influence here too it forgets how influential moogs were on prog etc and what follows, synth-pop? A sound which for better or worse influenced the 1980's and for me AMLOR far too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm__xDOWxDc

Before Are "Friends" Electric?: How Synth-Pop Became Synth-Pop

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingnome View Post
    Hi Axefeld,

This caught my eye. Funnily enough, I've been doing my own 'wee' history of electronic keyboards/ambient in this area on my FB page recently I called it Monologues for Analogues. Moogs featured. It was my reaction against robotic sonic digital technology and it weirded most of my FB 'friends' out. Good! The point I was making to them here was simply that electronic keyboards are nothing new, digital or otherwise. To mostly a younger 'dance' oriented clubber types and the nostalgic. I've always had a sonic interest in keys and sound effects. I think the Beach Boys 'Good Vibrations' was to blame. Today though I much prefer my hard rock and think often about how TRex and other early 70's British bands might have sounded a whole lot better without all those 'corny' strings surely added for commercial appeal. BBC TOTP's orchestra? Musicians Union? Moogs or synths set them and future artists free from that type of labour intensive protectionism.

Sure I've heard of this 'moog' album and recently.

I'm absolutely sure that this YT vid ripped my germ of an idea off. Although it mentions Floyd's influence here too it forgets how influential moogs were on prog etc and what follows, synth-pop? A sound which for better or worse influenced the 1980's and for me AMLOR far too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm__xDOWxDc
    Before Are "Friends" Electric?: How Synth-Pop Became Synth-Pop
    Thanks laughingnome, I've watched the doco & really enjoyed it, particularly the late 60's and early 70's stuff
    I never tire of watching Delia Darbyshire documentaries, what a pioneer...