Thread: Audio editing software, what is good for a newbe?

Thanks

Default Audio editing software, what is good for a newbe?

Hi, I am working some sound editing projects and I tried Reaper and did not care for it. Could someone recommend a good easy to use sound editing software that allows you to adjust the equalizer and save WAVE files with the edited sound. Also need to isolate some tracks as well. I have experience with video editing but my sound editing knowledge for music is not that great and need something easy to learn. Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,575 Times in 148 Posts

I use combinations of Audacity and Adobe Audition 2020, depending on what I'm aiming for at the time. Audition kicks ass, imho.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theembryo View Post
    I use combinations of Audacity and Adobe Audition 2020, depending on what I'm aiming for at the time. Audition kicks ass, imho.
    I agree with the Audition recommendation, if you care for subscription pricing. I stopped upgrading once Adobe went Creative Cloud. I never took to Audacity (I'd already had Cool Edit -> Audition) by the time Audacity came out. The price of Audacity is right for a newbie, and it may have improved in the last decade or so since I tried it, but it was pretty clunky compared to the polish of a paid-for application.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend of Squirrels View Post
    Hi, I am working some sound editing projects and I tried Reaper and did not care for it.
    Yeah, while Reaper is a popular choice and very, very powerful I also don't care for its very quirky UI choices. But its bang for bang means it's also a very good price for what you are getting.

...Also need to isolate some tracks as well...
    Despite all the recent progress on that front, I doubt you will get that feature out of an entry level app. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

I've personally moved to using iZotope RX, which is another popular choice these days. But I'm not convinced that's a great choice for a newbie because I think the learning curve could be a bit steep. I've been using audio editing software for years, and I'm not as fluent in RX as I was in Audition.