Thread: @MOB, Tangerine Dream, others please comment

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 75 Posts

Default @MOB, Tangerine Dream, others please comment

Hi. You know I was going to repost the collaboration you, The Toole Man and I did for the 5.1 mix of Tangerine Dream at East Berlin way back when. Just on a lark I decided to look for it to see if it had been commercially released. Well it has and it hasn't. There is an official bootleg series consisting of 3x four CD boxes of various TD concerts. This concert is represented as discs three and four of the second volume. The press release I read about it stated it was remixed. Wow, I thought. The master tapes for the first set (the second set had already been released) had been lost. Maybe they were relocated and were being used for this set.

So I ordered it. Well, well, well. I could swear they lifted the audio from our collaboration, in fact I'm almost certain of it. They might maybe have had material closer to the sources than I did, but the way it is mixed and the artifacts I do hear within sound identical to me. If this is indeed true it wouldn't be the first time that material I have had a hand in has been lifted and presented commercially without credit. I'm not actually complaining, but the reason why I am posting this thread is for verification that I am correct in my assumption. There is additional material from this show on the two discs and the concert itself is one of my favorites from this group, so I'm happy I have it. Having any of my torrenting work published and sold commercially is sort of a bonus even without credit. It means the material was worthy enough of a wider audience. That is something.

Aside from the verification request (does anyone else have both the 5.1 mix and the CD box set?), has this series of events happened to anyone else? Please let me know.

2021-12-05

Doinker
    "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to my right... Here I am - stuck in the middle with you..." - Stealers Wheel

Takes on a whole new meaning today, doesn't it? - D

Thanks

I've read that the Tangerine Dream Live Bootleg Series is basically TD using many of the recordings worked on for the Tangerine Tree project, supposedly slightly enhanced by Jerome Froese (but not totally Tangentized like his father did for a lot of their material) and releasing them. Perhaps those enhancements were marketed as remixing the material. Given that the Tangerine Tree project was apparently somewhat endorsed or at least tolerated by the band, I gather that those involved thought it was a fair deal.

So, it seems possible to me that either both you and the Tangerine Tree team had the same source in the lineage. Or, if your work was uncredited, then it's more likely that it was acquired by the Tangerine Tree team first, than the band themselves taking your work.

Thanks

Hi Doinker,

there are a few dedicated Tangerine Dream threads on the Steve Hoffman Forum with some people with deep TD knowledge contributing, you may wanna try and ask there!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,527 Times in 147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by surfling View Post
    Hi Doinker,

there are a few dedicated Tangerine Dream threads on the Steve Hoffman Forum with some people with deep TD knowledge contributing, you may wanna try and ask there!

Absolutely agree