Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Official release of 12 1971 audience recordings!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,299 Times in 48 Posts

Good for them, it's fantastic they decided to offer live recordings to their public. Just a start, now they need to put the right person to manage the project.
    Have you heard the word is love?

Thanks
    Thanked 52,888 Times in 1,457 Posts

I'm listening Roma 71 on Spotify, not the best source, for sure.

Pink Floyd Audio and Video
    Roger Waters Audio and Video
    David Gilmour Audio and Video
    Syd Barrett Audio and Video
    Nick Mason Audio and Video
    Richard Wright Audio and Video

Thanks
    Thanked 3,299 Times in 48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nipote View Post
    I'm listening Roma 71 on Spotify, not the best source, for sure.
    I can't find any of them on Spotify (I have Spotify Premium), am I doing something wrong?
    Have you heard the word is love?

Thanks
    Thanked 52,888 Times in 1,457 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
    I can't find any of them on Spotify (I have Spotify Premium), am I doing something wrong?
    https://open.spotify.com/album/7ywoncAHTrNO2WUqzR6mja

Pink Floyd Audio and Video
    Roger Waters Audio and Video
    David Gilmour Audio and Video
    Syd Barrett Audio and Video
    Nick Mason Audio and Video
    Richard Wright Audio and Video

Thanks

I'd love to see some sort of acknowledgment of this from official channels. This all seems a bit suspicious to me.

It's not hard to put in false information when distributing music to these services - copy and paste "Pink Floyd Music Ltd" and "Under Exclusive License to Parlophone Records Limited" into the (c) and (p) fields on distrokid (or similar) and it's certainly possible that it'll slip right though without anyone noticing. Spotify, Apple Music, etc will just list it next to official releases and not bat an eyelash.

One of my musician friends suddenly found one of his old albums on Spotify next to his own official releases - someone had downloaded his old music from bandcamp and distributed it themselves, and quietly collected all the streaming revenue before it was noticed and taken down. I know for a fact that there are other unofficial releases on spotify this very instant (someone is very quietly collecting 185+ thousand listens a month on some Nintendo music and Spotify doesn't just doesn't give half an eff about it.
    Last edited by jmr; 2021-12-10 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmr View Post
    I'd love to see some sort of acknowledgment of this from official channels. This all seems a bit suspicious to me.

It's not hard to put in false information when distributing music to these services - copy and paste "Pink Floyd Music Ltd" and "Under Exclusive License to Parlophone Records Limited" into the (c) and (p) fields on distrokid (or similar) and it's certainly possible that it'll slip right though without anyone noticing. Spotify will just list it next to official releases and not bat an eyelash.

One of my musician friends suddenly found one of his old albums on Spotify next to his own official releases - someone had downloaded his old music from bandcamp and distributed it themselves, and quietly collected all the streaming revenue before it was noticed and taken down. I know for a fact that there are other unofficial releases on spotify this very instant (someone is very quietly collecting 185+ thousand listens a month on some Nintendo music and Spotify doesn't just doesn't give half an eff about it.
    It's not just Spotify.

Thanks

I realize that. I'm just using Spotify as an example here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmr View Post
    I realize that. I'm just using Spotify as an example here.
    It is also on their YouTube channel and says it was provided by Rhino. I don’t know if that seals the deal? But it’s definitely worth noting since it made it onto there (with credits in the description) as well as Sony Music Japan and other services. Check this out for example

Thanks
    Thanked 4,685 Times in 55 Posts

This is the famous "50 years" law, that basically allows anybody to commercialize any material more than 50 years old, EXCEPT if there is already a copyright on it.
    So, for PF management, to relelease 1971 concerts from bootlegs and putting their copyright on it, prevents anybody else to commercialize that material after 2021.

King Crimson already did something similar last year: they released all the sessions and outtakes from the Wake Of Poseidon and Lizard albums released in 1970, because if they didn't before end of December 2020, they would loose any chance to copyright that material. I believe they will do the same with outtakes and sessions of the 1971 Lizard album before the end of this year (1971 -> 2021).

For PF management, I suspect this operation is just pure commercial with no artistic input. They probably did not use the best versions. They don't care.
    They missed the opportunity to do that last year with 1970 bootlegs, it seems they woke up just now.

I would love to hear that someone has really been appointed for the task of selecting the concerts, compare with the best sources, see if they have other 1971 archives on their vaults. But I'm pretty sure they didn't.
    Just bootlegging the bootleggers, put PFR on it, before end of December 2021.
    They will do the same next year for the 1972 concerts.

Thanks

I'm curious about the artwork choice though - I'm no intellectual property lawyer but surely just because that art was used for a bootleg doesn't grant Rhino / Parlophone / Pink Floyd Music Ltd permission to use that today in 2021, right? I'd probably be less sceptical if these all had generic artwork along the lines of the early years album covers or something like that.