Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New concert date 17march 1968

Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
    With the hope that they are being preserved/stored, no matter the method or format.
    Ditto.

We all hope these are at least preserved/stored properly.

And sharing is a very powerful way to also preserve and store the recordings, after all, with the help of lots of people out there... but not the only possible way, then anyone is free to choose what method they do prefer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post
    Excise me, but you're clearly misunderstanding.
    I was only trying to figure out why there are several known recordings from 1968 not in circulation, and I mentioned hoarding as an example mainly because there has been a lot of discussion about hoarding. I'm very well aware that there can be many reasons why certain recordings are not in circulation. It was not my intention to sound like anyone owes me anything, why would they? I guess the subject of hoarding has become quite fragile.
    I'm not at all unhappy, I'm merely interested to know the reason why these recordings hasn't surfaced, because I love the 1968 era and I would love to hear more recordings from that period.
    I also asked if they exist in the Pink Floyd archives.
    but my comment wasn't aimed at you personally...

I was simply agreeing to hallucalation's point (meaning the small bit of it I've quoted)... to just put in evidence that I also don't love this "hoarder" word in general, which seems to have a inherent negative meaning which is probably unproper, but I do prefer to focus my attention to what we actually have around and to how those who shared were soooo generous to share... it's sharing which is that nice thing which is well above average of people's behaviours... then I wished to simply praise (and thank) all those who share. (yourself and myself included, evidently)

Life is too short to be unhappy for a few recordings we are missing, while we have thousands of them to enjoy.

Mine was a positive comment, if you re-think about it now.

About why these recording aren't surfaced... I have no idea, since I also have no idea about which recordings we are talking about exactly... and, yes, I also would love to hear more stuff from the 1967 to 1969 era, since my preference goes to early PF.

Cheers,

Vince.
    Last edited by vince666; 2021-12-21 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vince666 View Post
    but my comment wasn't aimed at you personally...

I was simply agreeing to hallucalation's point (meaning the small bit of it I've quoted)... to just put in evidence that I also don't love this "hoarder" word in general, which seems to have a inherent negative meaning, but I do prefer to focus my attention to what we actually have around and to how those who shared it were generous to share... it's sharing which is that nice thing which is well above average of people's behaviours... then I wished to simply praise (and thank) those who share.

Life is too short to be unhappy for a few recordings we are missing, while we have thousands of them to enjoy.

Mine was a positive comment, if you re-think about it now.

About why these recording aren't surfaced... I have no idea, since I also have no idea about which recordings we are talking about exactly.

Cheers,

Vince.
    My comment wasn't aimed at you personally either lol. I shouldn't have replied directly to your post
    I just felt misunderstood and wanted to clear things out.
    No offence and none taken

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post
    No offence and none taken
    of course.

we are all here to enjoy what we like... then there is no room to feel offended.

Thanks

If our goal is to bring as many unheard recordings as possible to the community, there are two things we know work against that goal: (1) anything giving the impression that Y! is somehow connected with Sigma et al. (which it is emphatically not), and (2) insulting the people who have the recordings we hope they share. We have explicit confirmation that people who might otherwise be favorably disposed to the community have been put off by those things.

It's time to retire the term "hoarder". Frankly, I think it'd be worthwhile to edit existing threads (especially thread titles) using that term. Whatever frustration we might feel when someone has something we might like to hear, we have to ask ourselves what's more important: expressing our frustration, which may feel good but accomplishes nothing; or trying to build bridges, which may well accomplish something (and often has)? Treat people like human beings, and they respond favorably much of the time, though not always; treat them like adversaries, and they'll respond in kind!

(To be clear, the above isn't directed at anyone in particular -- just reflective of thoughts I've had of late.)

Anyway, to return to the point of the thread, it's great that we now have this moment in time represented accurately. It'd be amazing to be a fly on the wall for that show, though I suspect it would've been very rough around the edges, as the majority of early 1968 performances probably were.

Might've been interesting, though. For all we know, songs we never otherwise hear were played: Corporal Clegg? Lucifer Sam? Stethoscope? We can only wonder, and hope that the report has some surprises. Gilmour even claims they played Scream Thy Last Scream a few times with him in the band, which is really hard to imagine, but you never know.
    Last edited by goldenband; 2021-12-21 at 05:58 AM.

Thanks

Hi all,

Jumping in on this. I wrote a book on Pink Floyd in The Netherlands in 2017. Where possible I also included Belgium as there were many joints visits.

As far as I have been able to research Pink Floyd did indeed play at Recta - named Club 67 for the occasion - in Ertvelde but not in March but on June 2nd, 1968. For people who own my book (title: Pink Floyd in Nederland - see pg. 78-80).
    The date fits the massive tour they did over here that weekend, no less than nine gigs between May 31 and June 3, 8 of them in Holland, the Ertvelde one in Belgium. They also played Vlissingen (40 miles north from Ertvelde) that day.

This series of gigs included the recorded Fantasio / Paradiso shows on May 31st.

I have been in touch with people from local archives a couple of years ago and they have provided me with half a dozen pictures, published in the book.

Photos from other gigs that weekend have matching clothings and gear so I firmly believe the June 2 date for Ertvelde to be correct.

That said - looking forward to any additional tickets, print, etc. and even details on the March date.
    Last edited by Charles Beterams; 2021-12-21 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added some information / corrections.

Thanks

and if they played there both in march and in june?

after all, i have the march 17 listed on Scacco Matto as Bruxelles and it's a totally missing date on Povey/Russell book.
    So, the Scacco Matto guys must have found some hints about the march 17 date back in the 80s, even if they mentioned it as being made in Bruxelles.
    Must check again this book to see if they also mentioned the june 2nd date.

@goldenband: totally agree on your points!

Thanks

anxious to hear back from FP and the couple who supposedly went...
    ...any Floyd, is good floyd....
    visit the #1 Knopfler forum in the world at:

www.amarkintime.org/forum

1994.09.02, Werchter Festival Grounds - PF
    2011.06.18, ESPRIT Arena, Düsseldorf - RW
    2013.07.20, Werchter Festival Grounds --> full circle - RW
    2015.09.19, König Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen - DG
    2016.07.28, Grote Markt, Tienen - DG
    2018.09.08, Stadsschouwburg, Antwerpen - NM
    2021.05.19, Messe+Congress Centrum Halle, Münster - NM......YESSSSSSS

Thanks

It could be that they played the venue both dates, but the various sources never mentioned two dates.

Scacco Matto was a great source at the time when we only had Miles, Rick Sanders, etc. but pretty much outdated with today's standards. For example Scacco Matto lists the June 1967 Holland dates (certainly didn't take place) and Rotterdam Ahoy' for June 2nd, 1968 which is also certainly not true.

Glenn did a lot of work sorting out dates and as for the Dutch/Belgium dates I didn't use any of the books but fixed the dates on new research. Let's see what the new info brings.

Thanks

and my Scacco Matto book, for June 2nd 1968 mentions the the oude-ahoy hallen Rotterdaml, while Povey/Russell mention Vlissingen, Holland.
    evidently both uncorrect.