Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: community consensus on circulating remastered recordings?

Thanks

Default community consensus on circulating remastered recordings?

Just wanting to touch base about this. I know I see remastered recordings. I also realize that the trading pool can be very polluted by such things. I have about 25 years of audio experience. Not claiming to be any kind of authority but I have some chops. I also have 30 years of tape trading and concert recording experience.

Sometimes I clean something up for my own enjoyment. For example on another group someone was asking about lifting the vocals in the 9/13/67 Copenhagen recording. Kind of referencing the tools used in Get Back. Got me curious so I searched my personal archive and put my hands on a lossless version that was seeded in 2005. Supposedly: Master Cassette* > DAT (x5) > flac frontend > flac "EL Source". I loaded it up to have a listen/look. Issues with hum, hiss, resonant frequencies, pitch. Of course the vocals are buried and I don't think any current technologies and anything I have access to will change that. But I did clean it up for my own listening. Then I thought to take a look at other sources here. There are obviously quite a bit. I didn't know if anyone would be interested in it, or comparing it to existing versions? Some screenshots here.

Thanks

I can't speak for others, but for myself the visual captures you posted tell me nothing really about the difference in sound. If there is some way to post a song or even a clip as a sample of your work, that would go a long way toward gaining the support of your efforts toward improving the listenability of a given source. My own personal take is that as long as the original source exists in wide circulation, it can't hurt to try to improve it, especially if done with finesse and technical wisdom.

I have done a little work here where I used someone else's source, and I made a point to reach out to the poster and ask permission to use their material. That is certainly the polite approach.

Other opinions?
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks

Thank you. Very good point. I've attached two 90 second clips here. 320kbps MP3 but should give a good idea.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Hi,

even though my skills are quite limited i love to do remasters for my own listeing pleasure. I mostly listen to all the recordings in my car and see no reason to keep a bassy, gloomy ore muffled sound only by the means of „it is like how its recorded“. I actually have two collections. 1.) the original files as downloaded 2.) my tweaked files, renamed and tagged, somtimes even eq‘ed.

Just a very few of the retouched files have been uploaded here because i personally think after some time it gets a little messy. Check 1972-02-20 for example, it is almost impossible to find the best one.

If time would be no issue it would be marvellous to have at least 3 sections:

- unaltered masters or gen-x
    - altered sets
    - bootlegged sets

A forced prefix for upcoming uploads could be helpfull anyway.

Best
    Nils

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cleantones View Post
    Thank you. Very good point. I've attached two 90 second clips here. 320kbps MP3 but should give a good idea.
    Sounds better to me. It goes without saying that one should always start with the best available source. Not sure if this is the case here, but that could be another reason to contact the person who posted the material.

Nice job!
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swirling Panpot View Post
    It goes without saying that one should always start with the best available source. Not sure if this is the case here, but that could be another reason to contact the person who posted the material.
    Thanks. I totally agree. The file set I had for this was from over 15 years ago. It doesn't site a particular RoIO. This appears to be the same source seeded a few years later. Now that I've found the thread the original 2005 file set source looks to be Dan Lynch (nyctaper). He is saying (in 2008) the HVR source is superior. So I will look for that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cleantones View Post
    Thanks. I totally agree. The file set I had for this was from over 15 years ago. It doesn't site a particular RoIO. This appears to be the same source seeded a few years later. Now that I've found the thread the original 2005 file set source looks to be Dan Lynch (nyctaper). He is saying (in 2008) the HVR source is superior. So I will look for that.
    This would be the most current remastered version:

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...481#post283481

It may well not need your help, but there are probably plenty of others that might benefit. Always check the best sources thread first:

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...t=best+sources

Sometimes there are adds at the end of the thread that have not made it into the first pages.
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks

Always check the best sources thread first
    You know, I actually did do that. I need more time to do some comparisons. I have a half a dozen or so sources right now. I think the one mentioned in this thread was being a little more conservative than need be. I will wait till I have more time to say more.

Thanks

I have done a little work here where I used someone else's source, and I made a point to reach out to the poster and ask permission to use their material. That is certainly the polite approach.
    It certainly is the polite approach. It's just a shame that the children who have apparently decided to start hanging around this forum don't subscribe to the same ideology. Very sad.

Thanks

I think as long as most people would consider it an upgrade, and as long as you credit the original uploader and label it as a remaster it should be fine.