Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: community consensus on circulating remastered recordings?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Notelu View Post
    I think as long as most people would consider it an upgrade, and as long as you credit the original uploader and label it as a remaster it should be fine.
    I'm probably a stinky, not fashionable old man, but something tells me that first you need to get the consent of the author of the source.
    Without raiding raids, which can be covered up with copious chatter.
    Only snotty brains confuse oxygen (which is less and less, as they say) and the creativity of a person who lays out his work for general use.
    There are very few such people, even less than the percentage of oxygen for each of the people of our planet.
    Nothing personal
    Last edited by YASHA; 2022-01-07 at 08:27 PM.

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

TBS14

Thanks

Thanks for the thoughts and insights everyone. At this point I have sourced five versions of this recording/show and have read through some more threads and information. I've also figured out who seeded the file set I had back 16 years ago. I've sent a direct message to him as well as JRE who had previously posted a remastered version of this performance from a different transfer. I agree that it's best practice to gain permission but I also understand (for better/for worse) once something is let out into the world you don't have control over it. This show has been RoIO'ed many many times over. Including one two years ago that swiped JRE's work and aimed to profit from it. I don't have any contact info or information about the original recordist. Reading threads it seems he has not been reachable by previous efforts. 1967 was quite a while ago!
    After comparing: What Syd Wants, JFE Mastered, Stoned Alone, EL Source, Copenhagen 1967 3rd Night. I like my version. I'm not sure if I missed any that would be much different. Here is a sample if anyone wants to put their ears on it. Arnold Layne FLAC. Updated Stats/Waveform/Spectrum/Spectrogram if anyone wanted to see.
    Last edited by cleantones; 2022-01-07 at 09:24 PM. Reason: adding links

Thanks

I agree that it would be polite to ask for permission to use a recording that someone on the forum provided. However, I don't think that the people who don't ask necessarily mean to cause harm. I also don't believe that someone should hold a grudge against someone else for doing so. I get that it can be annoying when someone uses your revisions, vinyl rips, ect.

I also think it is unfair to attack younger members on the forum as a whole, simply because of a mistake that they have made.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YASSHA View Post
    I'm probably a stinky, not fashionable old man, but something tells me that first you need to get the consent of the author of the source.
    Without raiding raids, which can be covered up with copious chatter.
    Only snotty brains confuse oxygen (which is less and less, as they say) and the creativity of a person who lays out his work for general use.
    There are very few such people, even less than the percentage of oxygen for each of the people of our planet.
    Nothing personal
    I mean, if everyone asked authors for permission there would be no bootlegs and this site wouldn't exist :P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blob View Post
    I agree that it would be polite to ask for permission to use a recording that someone on the forum provided. However, I don't think that the people who don't ask necessarily mean to cause harm. I also don't believe that someone should hold a grudge against someone else for doing so. I get that it can be annoying when someone uses your revisions, vinyl rips, ect.

I also think it is unfair to attack younger members on the forum as a whole, simply because of a mistake that they have made.

I would agree with this. I think you should absolutely make an attempt to reach the "creator" of the original files so to speak. Obviously, this is not always possible, though...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blob View Post

In my opinion, if a person is not polite, he harms himself with it.
    No attacks, just my point of view

Courage and good luck!

TBS14

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Notelu View Post
    I mean, if everyone asked authors for permission there would be no bootlegs and this site wouldn't exist :P
    Anything could have happened, but everything is as it is

Courage and good luck!

TBS14

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyzak View Post
    I would agree with this. I think you should absolutely make an attempt to reach the "creator" of the original files so to speak. Obviously, this is not always possible, though...
    Yes, this is not always possible, but it is necessary to start with this.

Courage and good luck!

TBS14

Thanks
    Thanked 56,327 Times in 1,506 Posts

Asking before using is always the best thing to do, it is a form of respect for the work, research and time that another member has put into it.
    As has been written elsewhere, not asking can lead to the opposite form, keeping new sources hidden.
    Eventually Yeeshkul! (or other forums) are small communities, we know that there are many ideas and many heads, there can be inevitable contrasts, if we add to these also the lack of these small forms of kindness as a simple request, everything can be amplified.
    Regarding young people, we have all been and we have all made mistakes, we must not be closed and always consider them wrong for a mistake made. Everyone, young and old, must step off our pedestal and step forward.
    And we also have to admit that the young guys have given new ideas and a new boost to Y !.
    I am collaborating with some of them for new research for 2022 and I have to say that in the end they are as good guys, enthusiastic and willing as their age pushes them to do.
    As a dear friend of mine says of Y! "You must always have an open mind", everyone has to take a step towards the other, there is always something to learn.
    Last edited by nipote; 2022-01-08 at 01:47 PM. Reason: my error

Pink Floyd Audio and Video
    Roger Waters Audio and Video
    David Gilmour Audio and Video
    Syd Barrett Audio and Video
    Nick Mason Audio and Video
    Richard Wright Audio and Video

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 45 Posts

I completely agree Nipote. One thing I would like to say on this topic specifically is that I don’t like ‘remasters of remasters’. I feel it disrespects the original persons efforts, and it goes against the concept of ‘keeping it lossless’ that I personally consider especially important. Mastering is something that should be done as a whole, rather than incrementally. Each step should be necessary for the end result and that can’t be the case if you’re starting with someone else’s work, IMO.
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 2022-01-08 at 10:41 AM.