Thread: Actual origin of "Fat Old Sun" from NIPPON CONNECTION ?

Thanks

Default Actual origin of "Fat Old Sun" from NIPPON CONNECTION ?

As I understand it, it's generally agreed that the old Nippon Connection ROIO LP featured "One of These Days" and "Fat Old Sun" from the BBC Paris Theatre, 30 Sept. 1971. But even taking into account different versions' recording quality, if you listen to the first verse of "Fat Old Sun" from the LP, Dave sings: "When that fat old sun in the sky is falling, summer evening birds are calling. Summer Sunday and a year, the sound of music in my ears" (8:47-8:58 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gwUa6qkqF0&t) while a clean version of the 30 Sept. 1971 Paris Theatre show clearly reveals the fourth line as "the last sunlight disappears" (1:48-1:52 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rijUeK8pejg).

I'm sure there are numerous other differences throughout the 15-minute performance, but I stopped there.

So, which show did the Nippon Connection version actually come from? Any help would be appreciated, and please let me know if I'm off-base or confused here!

Thanks

Very interesting question! Fat Old Sun turns out to be from Stuttgart 1970-11-26 (or 26 November 1970, if you prefer).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Very interesting question! Fat Old Sun turns out to be from Stuttgart 1970-11-26 (or 26 November 1970, if you prefer).
    Wow, thank you! How did you figure that out??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunny dunes View Post
    Wow, thank you! How did you figure that out??
    This helped a lot! I had a feeling it was November 1970 but the chart let me zoom in on it quickly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    This helped a lot! I had a feeling it was November 1970 but the chart let me zoom in on it quickly.
    Thanks. What a great and in depth link goldenband; tezeta's Pics upload and the never-ending Pictures of Pink Floyd venue and date research is always fascinating whenever a new piece of information is discovered, such as the actual Gothenburg 11.11.1970 recording turning up a few years ago now. Here is my catalogued record of how it changed in my own collection over the last 35 years or so, which no doubt many will already know but some probably may not.

When I acquired my first recording of Vol.1 & Vol.2 of the Pictures of Pink Floyd LP on cassette in the mid-late 80s, it was clearly labelled West Coast, USA 4.1970. This was subsequently debunked and my cassette is altered to show Royal Albert Hall, London 6.2.1971 (now known to be a non-existent gig).

Next there was the brief dispute over whether the venue could be The Roundhouse with the added complication of some identifying it as The Roundhouse, Dagenham and others preferring it to be more likely The Roundhouse, London. More recently as we all know, it was long referred to as Konserthuset, Gothenburg 11.11.1970 and then either Gothenburg or Saarbrucken 28.11.1970. But since the 2016 appearance of the true Gothenburg recording, overwhelming evidence points to it being Saarbrucken. Hope one day it can be confirmed beyond any doubt the actual source of this wonderful recording.

Thanks

I managed to join parts 1 & 2 of FOS together quite easily so that it plays better without the break, for my own enjoyment.
    Ive never heard of this show before, having come across it by accident on YouTube when it was the anniversary of this show.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cirrusminor View Post
    I managed to join parts 1 & 2 of FOS together quite easily so that it plays better without the break, for my own enjoyment.
    Ive never heard of this show before, having come across it by accident on YouTube when it was the anniversary of this show.
    Did you mean to post your comment in the 1971.01.17 Roundhouse torrent thread?