Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Side of the Christmas Lights

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Dark Side of the Christmas Lights

Some of you may remember last year a thread where I previewed some of the work I was doing on a Dark Side of the Moon "Christmas" light show. I got a LOT of great feedback, almost all of which was incorporated into the show. We ran it and streamed the event last night. Here's the recording. There are some laggy bits with the video, since it was a stream after all, but it's still worth a few minutes of watching. Rewind the video if you want to see "not Pink Floyd" music or the PA intro:

https://youtu.be/FKZZEqoXFaU?t=1153

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KinzuaKid View Post
    Some of you may remember last year a thread where I previewed some of the work I was doing on a Dark Side of the Moon "Christmas" light show. I got a LOT of great feedback, almost all of which was incorporated into the show. We ran it and streamed the event last night. Here's the recording. There are some laggy bits with the video, since it was a stream after all, but it's still worth a few minutes of watching. Rewind the video if you want to see "not Pink Floyd" music or the PA intro:

https://youtu.be/FKZZEqoXFaU?t=1153

Video is not available

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

TBS14

Thanks

Default Link Fixed

Hopefully Vimeo will be slightly less...salty about it.

Thanks

Dude, I would have loved to have seen that in person. Really cool!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyzak View Post
    Dude, I would have loved to have seen that in person. Really cool!
    Looks like you're close! I'm up in Oceanside. I setup the Christmas show before Halloween and launch it on Thanksgiving night. PM me and I'll give you an address to come pay a visit when the lights are up! Last year I did a spot on the news, which caused an uncomfortable amount of traffic, so I didn't do that this year. I invited 25 people to the live show and almost 60 showed up. There's a little demand for entertainment right now, methinks.

Some interesting coincidences happened during the show. First off- we couldn't serve alcohol on the street because that's just not a thing here, so we told everyone to BYO and we supplied a "munchie cart." The case of "Baked Lays" and Pop Tarts were gone in like 10 minutes, but nobody ate the pudding (of course we had single serve pudding cups...I know my audience). When I asked somebody why, one woman said "I don't see any Slim Jims to grab. You don't expect me to have any of that pudding without meat first, do you? Is that even allowed?"

This person was dead serious, and sported the biggest grin. I love my Pink Floyd friends so much.

The second thing was deeply moving. It was like dialing the clock back to 1971-72: when the first heartbeat started, the crowd went silent as church mice. They watched in almost complete silence and only spoke out to ask for an encore (which we provided). It was like rewinding to a live PF concert from the early days. I was in awe. Normally, people get excited and chatty during my Christmas show, with kids dancing on the sidewalk and parents singing along. For Dark Side, it was an incredible vibe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YASSHA View Post
    Video is not available
    All better now with Vimeo:
    https://vimeo.com/666606261

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KinzuaKid View Post
    All better now with Vimeo:
    https://vimeo.com/666606261
    Fantastic! Thanks!

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

TBS14

Thanks

Not bad at all! Definitly I would go there too if I was living near there. Im always nicely touched about the heterogenity of this community, many are more less contributing with some sort of creativity to enrich this world.

Thanks

Wow, what a show! I love the attention to the timing of the lights, absolutely brilliant stuff. Any Color You'd Like is simply eye candy. I've been working on a piece like this for Dark Side, but it's in video form and uses the screen-films and some other home-shot assets. Though I don't think it holds a candle to rigging up a house to look like this!
    "Trip Out Beyond 3rd Bardo"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UnwoundBob85 View Post
    Wow, what a show! I love the attention to the timing of the lights, absolutely brilliant stuff. Any Color You'd Like is simply eye candy. I've been working on a piece like this for Dark Side, but it's in video form and uses the screen-films and some other home-shot assets. Though I don't think it holds a candle to rigging up a house to look like this!
    I'm glad you like it, I had a blast putting it all together. If you want to see even more of the detail, especially on Any Colour, this version of the video should help:

This is how the sequence looks to me when I am laying down the sequence in the software. It renders everything in 2D as a demo, so the balls in the tree look flat and you don't get to see the complex interplay of light like you do in the live video, but otherwise it's much easier to pick out all the detail in the show.
    https://vimeo.com/668844119