Thread: Plex Media Server

Thanks

Default Plex Media Server

Anyone here using Plex to access their collection remotely? I've started really investing in my collection and love being able to access it from wherever. The questions I pose are; is anyone else utilizing a application like Plex as a media server, how do you handle metadata for bootlegs (live album vs album, album artwork, naming conventions, those sorts of things), and do you see any reseeds with updated metadata?

I love the shows on here, but some of the file names give me anxiety lol. I've spent hours and hours cleansing files before hosting them on my Plex (i've also written a number of scripts that help speed along this process), but once Ive dont that and hosted it on my own Plex, none of that effort makes its way back into this community. Any advice on making sure I can give back some how would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 11 Posts

I use PLEX exclusively for all my media. It took weeks to tag all of my boots properly with artwork. I don't see anyway of offering this back to the community let alone getting anyone here to tag their files properly. Media servers are a personal labor of love.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,414 Times in 97 Posts

I just use Plex for TV and film files. Just too much hassle to use it for ROIOs. It might be a tad easier with jellyfin or Emby as they don't seem to rely on metadata for organising so much - I dunno.

Even with your scripts we would likely have to change the vast majority of filenames to make them readable for your code. Also, we like to share files in their original format whenever possible. That being said, I do encourage people to use the 'Artist - YYYYMMDD - Title/Venue - trackNN' naming convention.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,050 Times in 157 Posts

I don't use Plex but I do use Jellyfin on my NAS to stream some of my movies and shows on the go and some of my music collection. I don't use it for my RoIO's though. If I want to do that I'm likely to just download the files directly from my NAS to play on whatever local device, phone, another PC, etc.

I've tried to make a conscious effort to tag whatever I release on here the best way possible in the last several years. I have not gone back to tag the hundreds of RoIO's from over the years though, I just don't have that kind of time and nor do I want that kind of headache. Plus, I try to keep whatever I download from here in it's original form and don't want to make a separate fileset properly tagged and taking up space. I'm perfectly happy just playing my files while at home or planning ahead and putting shows on my phone. This is just my way of doing it though.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

I have been using Plex and various forms of streaming for many years. The best thing I've ever found for metadataless, Roio files is subsonic. This allows you to navigate a collection strictly by folder/file naming. It's not perfect but far better than any of the other audio streaming applications that rely heavily on metadata for your collection. I host Plex on a Synology server and there are non-official packages for installing the subsonic server on DSM 6 (DSM 7 version is not available yet). You can also host it on Windows or Linux boxes which are directly supported by the developer. If you're an iPhone person then I have found iSub and AVSub clients work pretty good with near gapless playback. Anyway, this is what I have found over the years but there may be other better solutions as well.

BTW, as mentioned this personal hosting is labor of love and I have found that the ole 'Artist - YYYYMMDD - Title/Venue - trackNN' naming convention can be annoying when streaming to small screen devices. I tend to keep my naming convention as tight and as few chars as possible by removing the extraneous "- ". Anyway, my point is that everyone adhering to a standard is about as likely as everyone agreeing on politics...

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp
    Last edited by sabbatology; 2022-01-25 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks

Thank you all! "Labor of Love" is probably the best way to describe it.

Thanks

I've also moved to Jellyfin

Thanks

also, HD sizes continue to get smaller and smaller, soon it will not matter anymore whether you are at home or on the road, as you file just "plug" your credit card sizes SDD other whatever the format is called then into whatever decent audio device you have at your disposal.
    so yes, in order to keep the "gene pool" as clean as possible, do not give back any of the awesome looking retagged shows but keep them for yourself to OCD enjoy. i know the feeling...
    ...any Floyd, is good floyd....
    visit the #1 Knopfler forum in the world at:

www.amarkintime.org/forum

1994.09.02, Werchter Festival Grounds - PF
    2011.06.18, ESPRIT Arena, Düsseldorf - RW
    2013.07.20, Werchter Festival Grounds --> full circle - RW
    2015.09.19, König Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen - DG
    2016.07.28, Grote Markt, Tienen - DG
    2018.09.08, Stadsschouwburg, Antwerpen - NM
    2021.05.19, Messe+Congress Centrum Halle, Münster - NM......YESSSSSSS

Thanks

correction, make that fingernail-sized storage, rather than credit card sized....
    ...any Floyd, is good floyd....
    visit the #1 Knopfler forum in the world at:

www.amarkintime.org/forum

1994.09.02, Werchter Festival Grounds - PF
    2011.06.18, ESPRIT Arena, Düsseldorf - RW
    2013.07.20, Werchter Festival Grounds --> full circle - RW
    2015.09.19, König Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen - DG
    2016.07.28, Grote Markt, Tienen - DG
    2018.09.08, Stadsschouwburg, Antwerpen - NM
    2021.05.19, Messe+Congress Centrum Halle, Münster - NM......YESSSSSSS