Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live at Pompeii PAL speedup

Thanks

Default Live at Pompeii PAL speedup

Hey guys

Recently bought the director's cut DVD of Pompeii (only for the original film, mind you) not realizing it was PAL and has issues with speed and pitch. I'm looking into just buying an NTSC copy, but to save a few bucks, I wanted to see if there was any way of converting to 24 fps or whatever it is for NTSC first. I don't need to play it on a DVD player, just want to play the actual video files (.mkv) on my computer. I asked on reddit too, but, as this applies to a specific Pink Floyd release, and some of you fellows are clearly very skilled in audio/video editing, I figured I'd get better answers here.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 42 Posts

I understand being curious about converting as you describe, but it's honestly way more trouble than it's worth, IMNSHO.
    Just buy an NTSC copy and move on would be my suggestion to avoid aggravation.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldpink View Post
    I understand being curious about converting as you describe, but it's honestly way more trouble than it's worth, IMNSHO.
    Just buy an NTSC copy and move on would be my suggestion to avoid aggravation.
    You know, you're right. I just decided the same thing about 20 minutes ago and bought a copy off ebay.

If anybody has tried converting and wants to chime in, feel free. But hopefully I can just enjoy the NTSC version.

Seems like it's way harder than it should be, though, to slow down a DVD that plays too fast.

Thanks

Doesn't the NTSC DVD have the exact same issue? I seem to remember that mine, at least, clearly suffers from PAL speedup in the audio. You can set VLC to compensate for it by turning off time-stretching and setting the playback speed to 0.96x.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Doesn't the NTSC DVD have the exact same issue? I seem to remember that mine, at least, clearly suffers from PAL speedup in the audio. You can set VLC to compensate for it by turning off time-stretching and setting the playback speed to 0.96x.
    Well, we'll certainly see, but I sincerely hope not. Does that mean there's no official release besides VHS which is speed and pitch corrected?

Thanks for the tip. Didn't know VLC could do that.

Thanks

I believe the most lossless way to do it is to take the file into FFMPEG and reduce the speed there. Alternatively you can just manually correct the speed in Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas and export it as 23.97 or 24 FPS, though I can't vouch for the viability of how lossless the latter method is. For DVD MKV's though I think decreasing in Premiere is fine.

If you're using MakeMKV to rip, you'll want Lossless cut to convert the files to something Premiere can handle, like .mov, not sure if Vegas support MKV either.

Here's a link to it on VideoHelp - https://www.videohelp.com/software/LosslessCut

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RemembranceCCF View Post
    I believe the most lossless way to do it is to take the file into FFMPEG and reduce the speed there. Alternatively you can just manually correct the speed in Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas and export it as 23.97 or 24 FPS, though I can't vouch for the viability of how lossless the latter method is. For DVD MKV's though I think decreasing in Premiere is fine.

If you're using MakeMKV to rip, you'll want Lossless cut to convert the files to something Premiere can handle, like .mov, not sure if Vegas support MKV either.

Here's a link to it on VideoHelp - https://www.videohelp.com/software/LosslessCut
    Thank you, sir. Very helpful.

I'm praying the other version I ordered will work fine, but either way your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus (that's the dog) View Post
    Well, we'll certainly see, but I sincerely hope not. Does that mean there's no official release besides VHS which is speed and pitch corrected?
    I seem to remember that my family's NTSC VHS copy in the 1980s had film-to-PAL speedup, since it was probably converted from a PAL video master.

I'm not sure that there has been an official release going at the right speed, though I don't know what's on The Early Years -- I don't own it: does that set have video or only audio? -- or recent streaming sources like the 2020 YouTube exclusive. But getting the Director's Cut DVD made me genuinely furious, since it was really inexcusable that that issue wasn't corrected.

Thanks

I seem to remember that my family's NTSC VHS copy in the 1980s had film-to-PAL speedup, since it was probably converted from a PAL video master.

I'm not sure that there has been an official release going at the right speed, though I don't know what's on The Early Years -- I don't own it: does that set have video or only audio? -- or recent streaming sources like the 2020 YouTube exclusive. But getting the Director's Cut DVD made me genuinely furious, since it was really inexcusable that that issue wasn't corrected.
    That's interesting to hear. I've got a Vestron 84 release and it runs at the correct speed, so I'd be curious to know what copy you have. Is it the 89 release that's the same as the Laserdisc copy with a pink cover? I own that one on LD but I've never watched it since it has digital audio.

Thanks

it has audio and video (they joined both Echoes parts as one), cropped widescreen (like the Director's cut version), speed corrected, but u know they use a different mix