Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Live at Pompeii PAL speedup

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus (that's the dog) View Post
    Hey guys

Recently bought the director's cut DVD of Pompeii (only for the original film, mind you) not realizing it was PAL and has issues with speed and pitch. I'm looking into just buying an NTSC copy, but to save a few bucks, I wanted to see if there was any way of converting to 24 fps or whatever it is for NTSC first. I don't need to play it on a DVD player, just want to play the actual video files (.mkv) on my computer. I asked on reddit too, but, as this applies to a specific Pink Floyd release, and some of you fellows are clearly very skilled in audio/video editing, I figured I'd get better answers here.

Thanks
    I have speed corrected dvd movie (the one from dvd extras, not the direcor's cut) using Davinci Resolve 16 (for video) and Audacity (for audio). I firstly matched the dvd audio with well known laser disc audio rip to get the % of speed correction. I got -4,11%. I finaly ended with speed corrected video from dvd with laser disc audio because laser disc has better audio. Today I think my work was useless because there are better options in terms of audio and video. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL0TNGfcge4

Thanks

How come no one mentions "Live At Pompeii Restored 1974 Cut" - it uses the concert footage from the official DVD and interviews and 'DSOTM' stuff fom the laser disc; the audio was done by MOB. I don't recall but I'm guessing it wasn't allowed here, but I know many here have it. No doubt it's still out there 'somewhere'.
    Ever get the feeling you've been had?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
    How come no one mentions "Live At Pompeii Restored 1974 Cut" - it uses the concert footage from the official DVD and interviews and 'DSOTM' stuff fom the laser disc; the audio was done by MOB. I don't recall but I'm guessing it wasn't allowed here, but I know many here have it. No doubt it's still out there 'somewhere'.
    1974 cut is here on YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...vlFeXFla449SLs

Thanks

That's my go-to version

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mccichy View Post
    I have speed corrected dvd movie (the one from dvd extras, not the direcor's cut) using Davinci Resolve 16 (for video) and Audacity (for audio). I firstly matched the dvd audio with well known laser disc audio rip to get the % of speed correction. I got -4,11%. I finaly ended with speed corrected video from dvd with laser disc audio because laser disc has better audio. Today I think my work was useless because there are better options in terms of audio and video. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL0TNGfcge4
    Darn, so I guess that means the director's cut does run at the wrong speed, unless you had the PAL version as well.

Would hardly call what you did useless. That video actually sounds not great, since it's a quad mix forced down to stereo by YouTube and compressed to nothing.

And off the record, if you still have what you made, I might be willing to trade you some upload data for it.

Thanks

I like both, but in my opinion DSOTM gets enough attention already.

I do feel like the mods should make an exception for stuff like that, where it might be technically commercially available, but so rare as to render purchase impossible (or at least very expensive and impractical). I have a version of the 1974 film with restored video, but it was very messily mixed from quad down to mono for some reason, so not great as far as sound quality.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldpink View Post
    I understand being curious about converting as you describe, but it's honestly way more trouble than it's worth, IMNSHO.
    Just buy an NTSC copy and move on would be my suggestion to avoid aggravation.
    The NTSC version is just a frame blended version of the PAL version, including the same speedup.

The only modern release that doesn't have this issue is the version on The Later Years, which has it's own issues :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Notelu View Post
    The NTSC version is just a frame blended version of the PAL version, including the same speedup.

The only modern release that doesn't have this issue is the version on The Later Years, which has it's own issues :/
    This is absolutely terrible. Whose bright idea was it to keep the same framerate and such? I can 100% confirm that they are the same, as the NTSC copy just came in the mail today.

Do I really have to buy a VHS now? I feel like I've invested too much time into my pursuit of a copy with the right framerate and pitch to give up now. I know few people use DVDs anymore, but back in the day, this was a common enough problem that someone should've come up with an easy solution.

My only consolation is that the NTSC disc actually plays on my laptop with the menus intact.

Dunno why this has never been resolved. I would much rather get a fresh and fixed release of Pompeii than a mono mix of SOS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Doesn't the NTSC DVD have the exact same issue? I seem to remember that mine, at least, clearly suffers from PAL speedup in the audio. You can set VLC to compensate for it by turning off time-stretching and setting the playback speed to 0.96x.
    There are new toys that I keep hearing about and learning about with VLC player. This interests me now I have to read the guides to see how to do time stretching. Thank you for the tip!

Thanks

Is this the correct speed and audio one? VHS?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by holdingcell; 2022-04-02 at 04:10 AM.