Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd – BBC Radio 1967-1971

Thanks
    Thanked 37,032 Times in 441 Posts

I have a number of posts to catch up on and will reply soon

Just a quick note because I am at work: if anyone reading this is looking to make a UK purchase, distributors are now steadily taking delivery of the book and from today you can buy it from eBay, for example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134158301...01c0%7Ciid%3A1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    Just a quick note because I am at work: if anyone reading this is looking to make a UK purchase, distributors are now steadily taking delivery of the book and from today you can buy it from eBay, for example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134158301...01c0%7Ciid%3A1
    I saw it on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pink-Floyd-...ps%2C69&sr=8-1

It's more expensive than ebay!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mccichy View Post
    I saw it on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pink-Floyd-...ps%2C69&sr=8-1

It's more expensive than ebay!
    I agree! I like to look at the prices it is selling for and they are quite varied. Of course, the best source of all is Charles wherever possible, not least because we want him to feel encouraged to continue his series of high quality Pink Floyd books which we are so glad to be part of.

Thanks

Catching up a bit…

Thank you for your kind words buffalofloyd, MGoBlue1989, bigalsbro and mccichy.

Hallucation, I was thinking of more than a YouTube documentary but I have been taking offline points from various people who have pointed out that there’s every chance such a project would not reach fruition. The material I was talking about does deserve another book but I need to discover the energy to do it and that might take a while. I’m always researching, however, and have some meetings scheduled for August, for example.

Forrester, a podcast would be no good because I need to balance the books 😀 All those research trips I like to go on add up. I am looking forward to our upcoming radio interview, however.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigalsbro View Post
    I'm only 50 pages into it thus far; but my first impression is, "the bar has been raised!" Future Pink Floyd book authors will have to step up their game. They'll need to look at their work and ask themselves, "did I do as good and as thorough a job as Ian and Phil did?"
    Couldn’t agree more, the book is a masterpiece. Congratulations to Ian and Phil and all involved, this is an excellent read.

Thanks

The second paragraph on page 109 talks about Bev Phillips being listed as the producer for the 20Dec68 session in Ken Garner's book - and how this doesn't jive with the BBC's records.

I suspect that this was simply a typo in Ken's documentation. For the Radio Times does list Bev Phillips (and Bernie Andrews) as producers for the 20Dec67 session. But then Bev isn't mentioned on page 54 of the text for the 20Dec67 session either. So, I'm a little bit confused...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigalsbro View Post
    The second paragraph on page 109 talks about Bev Phillips being listed as the producer for the 20Dec68 session in Ken Garner's book - and how this doesn't jive with the BBC's records.

I suspect that this was simply a typo in Ken's documentation. For the Radio Times does list Bev Phillips (and Bernie Andrews) as producers for the 20Dec67 session. But then Bev isn't mentioned on page 54 of the text for the 20Dec67 session either. So, I'm a little bit confused...
    The contract for 20 December 1967 states that the producer was Bernie Andrews and does not mention Phillips. The Programme as Broadcast (PasB) record for 31 December also only names Andrews. PasBs are a more authoritative source than Radio Times. They were due to be completed immediately after the broadcast and are very detailed, so for example, I can tell you that the news summary at 16.30 on 31 December 1967 featured a gale warning. There’s been talk of digitising all the BBC’s PasBs and I don’t believe that it would be too difficult. They are an extraordinary resource for researchers.

The PasB for 20 December 1968 states that the producers were Derek Chinnery (referred to in various other documentation as the programme’s Executive Producer) and Keith Bateson. Keith Bateson’s name is on the contract.
    Last edited by neonknight; 2022-06-29 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks

After reading the chapter on the 1971 BBC recording I have my own theory of why Blues ended up on Alison Steele's show. Having regularly listened to her show in the 1970s, it's not surprising.

My theory is along the lines suggested by Vernon Fitch, someone connected to the band dropped this tape off at WNEW which was the premiere rock station in the NY area back in the day, heavily promoting Pink Floyd and the tour. While I don't think it was directly given to Alison, this would be perfect for her show which ran late at night. Because of this time slot she got away with playing "unauthorized" recordings every so often. This seems like something that would typically turn up on her show.
    Last edited by Roscoe59; 2022-06-30 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks

After a couple of busy days, I've finally had time to read this and I can say that it is one of the best informative books I've ever read. I learned many things that I hadn't known before, and was very pleased to do so.

I do have one question for the author: a while ago, while reading the great Zabriskie Point thread, I came across this in WRomanus's list of questions: "32 - What was recorded the 5 March 1970 (logged as "Zabriskie Point" in the BBC Archives)? It was broadcast on BBC2 the 13 March 1970 for the programm Line Up."

I was wondering if this ever came up in the research? According to the BBC's Genome directory, there was a Line Up broadcast on 13 March 1970, but there is not a lot of info given.

Also, side note, another interesting bit of research would be to try and re-create the Jimmy Young tape by trying to figure out which shows the dialogue came from (that would probably take a very long time.

EDIT: I just realized that "Late Night Line Up" is a BBC2 Television program, not a radio program. My apologies. Although, a PF BBC television research project could be interesting as well.
    Last edited by JerryIsBored; 2022-06-30 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Verifying information.
    "If I participate in this f***ing effort I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    Because of this time slot she got away with playing "unauthorized" recordings every so often. This seems like something that would typically turn up on her show.
    Thank you Roscoe59. We are gathering additional views and observations for next time. We don't know what next time will mean yet - maybe an updated and revised version of the book in a few years time, perhaps. Your comment caught my eye. Are there any unauthorised recordings or stories of recordings you can point us to, please? As you will imagine, we are really keen to solve the mystery and track down a better or differently sourced WNEW-FM tape. An upgrade would form the perfect pair with the reels pictured on pages 188-189.