Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Animals remix september 16th

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid_Eyes View Post
    ...and ya didn't share it with me (or us), bad, bad boy
    We sure did. Almost 10 years ago. Where were you?

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...ight=Abattoirs

Quote Originally Posted by RoyTagliaferro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    There were no soundboard recordings from this tour. Posting a sample would help determine the source.
    Berlin is a Soundboard tho
    Berlin is a partial monitor mix.
    Last edited by Roscoe59; 2022-09-24 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svaerige View Post
    right in Montreal Roger says at the end of Pigs "we'll be back in 20 minutes"

ha ha charade you are
    No. he says in bad French, wer'll be back in vingt MEE nute. Haha charade you are.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 43 Posts

I just now went out to my mailbox and took out my SACD copy of the 2018 Animals.
    As I type this, I'm listening to "Dogs," and so far I'm impressed.
    The opening acoustic guitar from Dave comes out of the rears for the beginning before shifting to the front, then the keyboards go to both the fronts and rears, and Roger's laughter goes to the rears.
    At 3:50, one guitar is out of the fronts and the other is out of the rears as they harmonize beautifully, exactly what I had hoped James Guthrie would do.
    4:55 - The dogs are barking out of the fronts only, a little surprising, as I thought it would add to the atmosphere to have the barks start in either the left or right front, then go to the other three speakers one at a time in either a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.
    10:00 - Ah yes! At last the dogs (now through the vocoder) cover both the fronts and rears at the same time...nice.
    I'll check out the redbook CD layer later, but the real draw, the 5.1 high-res layer really kicks ass.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    We sure did. Almost 10 years ago. Where were you?

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...ight=Abattoirs

Berlin is a partial monitor mix.
    I'm 97,1% sure it is the SBD mix, but I'm tired of explaining why I think that so whatever
    But I can say that it is based on a lenghy interview with the Sound Engineer of the Animals Tour
    Last edited by RoyTagliaferro; 2022-09-24 at 09:03 PM.
    Sitting in my english Garden, waiting for the Sun

Thanks

Question

I have always liked the European tour. It is really different from the US tour.
    Frankfurt 77 is for instance a killer (for the best, Rick Wright will change his keyboard later for grand piano; I wonder what keyboard it was there for "Wish You Were Here". There are also some amazing photos of this particular gig by a"ffendady."
    We have some partial soundboard (Berlin). Now it turned out, from what I have understood the posts here is that Alan Smithee samples posted on youtube (which I have been unable to listen to because they were deleted too soon) are probably the excellent audience Pavillon de Paris, February 25, 1977. I remember that this audience source came out like 10 years ago, "out of the blue" and was carefully remastered (for the best of our ears) by the HRV team. Thank you.

Jimfisheye US/Canada Best of 77 is one of the best RoIo ever and a tremendous work.

I remember that at one point it was discussed here by Jim if we can go for a European tour and select some material (I remember Jim shared at one point some amazing matrix of Dogs (the "stone(d)" part)
    We all have our favorite gigs, and to tell the truth, I'm much more into the WYWH set because all versions of Shine On You Crazy Diamond have 3 guitar solos (David never did it after the 77 tour, he shortened SOYCD Pt.1-5 contrary to Roger Waters) + the jam during SOYCD Pt.6-9 followed by the pure magic of Rick Wright ethereal melancholic, almost funeral dirge on grand piano (MSG 2/7/77 is my favorite part)

But I have listened again to Pavillon de Paris February 25, 1977 (Animals aux Abattoirs) - too bad that we lost the perspective of a matrix soundboard + near perfect audience.
    It's really an excellent audience recording; fantastic remastering; you have the feeling being there.
    The WYWH set is great, but the Animals set is damned good.
    Even if they opened with "Sheep" instead of Pigs On The Wings, it's often difficult to appreciate Rick's intro because the crowd is generally too excited. Here, it's well captures.
    I wonder which shows (European perhaps ?) would have the best sounding intro (not too covered by applause) of "Sheep" with Rick's keyboard intro.

I have always been a fan of the end of "Sheep" - Rick's keyboard does not sound improvised, but something was perhaps rejected from the studio album ? or could he have improvised this during a soundcheck then polished it ? (Oakland 9/77 has a great part of this end; perhaps the best of the tour). This reminds me the same kind of keyboard instrumental before "What Should We Do Know" on the Wall.
    I wonder if at some point this keyboard part was part of the studio sessions; or if the studio sessions were already over.
    With the Extraction Tapes; we can tell that the Fender Rhodes opening was recorded on the "basic track" of Sheep.
    Perhaps the "Run Like Hell" (Gilmour has another number on his solo album which has the same kind of riff) was powerful enough to not end with a slow, more peaceful synth melody- since "Sheep" is the last number of the album.
    Any idea or info about the recording sessions of Animals and what is obviously a Rick Wright's part of "Sheep" ?
    The running-list is different so perhaps Rick had the idea to make a synth-keyboard-melody-segue so that the band can go with "Dogs".
    We know that the live-configuration and the choice to open with "Sheep" rather than Pigs On The Wings was that Roger could not make like Bob Dylan on a stadium, opening a show with just an acoustic guitar (remember the tension during the last MSG shows ("shitbag"), not to mention Montreal).

But I wonder if a possible alternate configuration of Animals was planned ?
    Last edited by abronsius; 2022-09-26 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks

Is there a "definite" topic here about the so-called "extraction tapes"? The search function shows to many results to browse through. I appear to have this bootleg already but I'd like some recent info on where it's from etc.

BTW, We really should put together a list of essential bootlegs. The 'extraction tapes' didn't catch my attraction, drowned in all the others I still have to listen to. Recently, with the 'Early Years' box set a lot of classic bootlegs have become obsolete to me. However, I'd like to know on what boot the stereo version of the 1971 BBC session is etc.

P.S. For the casual listener: only live boot of the '77 tour I find near listenable, sound quality wise, is the classic Oakland audio recording (1977-05-09, Alameda Coliseum, Oakland, California, USA, taped by Reinhart Holhwein).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    Is there a "definite" topic here about the so-called "extraction tapes"? The search function shows to many results to browse through. I appear to have this bootleg already but I'd like some recent info on where it's from etc.

BTW, We really should put together a list of essential bootlegs. The 'extraction tapes' didn't catch my attraction, drowned in all the others I still have to listen to. Recently, with the 'Early Years' box set a lot of classic bootlegs have become obsolete to me. However, I'd like to know on what boot the stereo version of the 1971 BBC session is etc.

P.S. For the casual listener: only live boot of the '77 tour I find near listenable, sound quality wise, is the classic Oakland audio recording (1977-05-09, Alameda Coliseum, Oakland, California, USA, taped by Reinhart Holhwein).
    There are plenty high quality recordings from 1977, and Oakland isnt even the best one imo
    Sitting in my english Garden, waiting for the Sun

Thanks

I haven't heard any that come close to Oakland, aside from the MSG recording where the excellent sound quality is only the WYWH set. Which ones are you thinking of?

Thanks

Please stop hijacking this thread! :P

Best
    Nils

Thanks
    Thanked 37,866 Times in 442 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    CD: http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...es+%5B24-96%5D

24/96: http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...es+%5B24-96%5D

Nobody has posted any accurate info on a public forum about where the recordings come from and is ever likely to
    Last edited by neonknight; 2022-09-26 at 07:18 PM. Reason: typo