Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Animals remix september 16th

Thanks

this sounds like the disco version to me, the original is pink floyd's punk album. the menace is definitely gone......

Thanks
    Thanked 37,105 Times in 441 Posts

Default 2011 not 1977

When the new Animals set was announced I was instantly drawn to the phrase "the original 1977 Stereo mix". Having heard bits of the 2018 mix, I think it is OK but I'll always prefer the original. I wanted to know whether the blu-ray version was going to offer a straightforward transfer of the 1977 original, so I no longer 'needed' my UK 1st pressing of the vinyl. Websites were silent on the 1977 details but, looking at an updated Amazon, I can now see that the blu-ray offers the 2011 remaster. To me the 2011 remaster is not "the original 1977 mix" and I wondered whether I am the only one who sees it that way?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    When the new Animals set was announced I was instantly drawn to the phrase "the original 1977 Stereo mix". Having heard bits of the 2018 mix, I think it is OK but I'll always prefer the original. I wanted to know whether the blu-ray version was going to offer a straightforward transfer of the 1977 original, so I no longer 'needed' my UK 1st pressing of the vinyl. Websites were silent on the 1977 details but, looking at an updated Amazon, I can now see that the blu-ray offers the 2011 remaster. To me the 2011 remaster is not "the original 1977 mix" and I wondered whether I am the only one who sees it that way?
    I'm no audiophile, but to me there's a stark difference between how my US first pressing sounds and current digital versions. The warmth and grit of that pressing to me are lost in the remaster, so I can't say I'd prefer to ditch my copy for that same remaster on Blu Ray.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RemembranceCCF View Post
    I'm no audiophile, but to me there's a stark difference between how my US first pressing sounds and current digital versions. The warmth and grit of that pressing to me are lost in the remaster, so I can't say I'd prefer to ditch my copy for that same remaster on Blu Ray.
    Are you sure that's not due to the difference between your LP record player and your CD player?

Thanks

To me the 2011 remaster is not "the original 1977 mix" and I wondered whether I am the only one who sees it that way?
    A remaster and mix are 2 different things, as you know. This IS the original 1977 mix as stated.

Thanks
    Thanked 37,105 Times in 441 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    A remaster and mix are 2 different things, as you know. This IS the original 1977 mix as stated.
    Great! Pleased to hear that Amazon has got it wrong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    Yes, BUT, mastering is a downstream process to mixing. I have not heard any of the new versions yet - I am waiting for the official physical product. The good news is, if you find the new versions to be wanting, you can always go back to the old versions. I would hope they would include a "flat transfer" of the original mix in high resolution. The truth will be in the listening.
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks

Great! Pleased to hear that Amazon has got it wrong.
    From Amazon:
    1977 Original Stereo Mix: (24-bit/48 kHz Uncompressed)

Not wrong but perhaps incomplete without mentioning if this was a remastered version. I'm assuming that the Floyd feel that the 2011 remaster is the definitive representation of the 1977 mix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    Are you sure that's not due to the difference between your LP record player and your CD player?
    I think it's fair to call what I said hyperbolic. I guess what I mean is that the remaster does indeed have differences to what a potential flat transfer would sound like, the first pressing US vinyl being a typical analog example compared to the cleaner edited digital copy.
    Last edited by RemembranceCCF; 2022-09-08 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks

I think it's worth pointing out that the wait is down to single digits!