Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters 6th july 2022 live

Thanks

I personally find it hard to let the lip synching go, especially because of the politics. Waters' shows tend to boil down to the rich taking advantage of the poor, and to me, he's (with a net worth of over $300 million) taking advantage of the average punter who's shelling out $100+ on a ticket.

If the thought is that the production will still draw people in, why not be honest about miming most/all of the show? Of course, I'm not sure how many of the 20,000 crowd would have gone had they known that it was mimed, or even said it was worth the money if they were told afterwards that it were mimed because the production was so good.
    Roger Waters @ Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam, Netherlands - 19/06/2018
    Nick Mason @ Portsmouth Guildhall, UK - 23/09/2018
    Nick Mason @ O2, UK 03/03/2020
    Nick Mason @ Royal Albert Hall, UK, 23/04/2022

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by voices2010 View Post
    What a horror that you have so much leisure time to be watching lip synchronicity. a staging is being offered, it is not an opera display or a voice contest... it is roger offering a story with much more important concepts such as minority rights than paying attention if his lips move with respect to the video.
    Well if that's all that matters, he should just go on a speaking tour and forget the band/songs.
    "You're my family and I love you. But you're terrible, you're all terrible" - Bob's Burgers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geoffers View Post
    unfortunately, strangely, it doesn't look like they'll be playing the whole thing. without the final part it almost feels like an afterthought, simply tacked on to the end of 'wish you were here.'
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    I could listen to an extended jam of Part 8 for at least 90 minutes straight... it would be sacrilege if it was cut from any rendition performed by an original member...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomhinde View Post
    I personally find it hard to let the lip synching go, especially because of the politics. Waters' shows tend to boil down to the rich taking advantage of the poor, and to me, he's (with a net worth of over $300 million) taking advantage of the average punter who's shelling out $100+ on a ticket.

If the thought is that the production will still draw people in, why not be honest about miming most/all of the show? Of course, I'm not sure how many of the 20,000 crowd would have gone had they known that it was mimed, or even said it was worth the money if they were told afterwards that it were mimed because the production was so good.
    I think thatís a pretty fair argument even if I donít totally agree. For me, the first time I went knowing it was a prerecorded vocal was the Us and Them Tour. I did not mind that considering the enormity of the production. I still enjoyed it, but I did feel like I was watching a museum piece rather than a living breathing rock show, especially when the solos are played like the records note for note almost. That is to say, I forgive him doing that, but itís not really for me. YouTube videos of Rogerís gigs are good enough for me now. I have heard Money and Another Brick and all that live so much that I would almost feel embarrassed paying to hear these songs live again, especially with no improv happening. I am glad that heís doing this still for younger people though, and I know quite a few that saw Roger in 2017 and had their minds blown. Good. I like that. I just donít personally need to see this kind of show again. Nickís band on the other hand, I will make an effort to see again.

Thanks

Anyone know the best place to sit for this show? Since its a strange stage setup I don't know if the corners, middle, upper, lower is best. The last tour the floor seats limited parts of the show. Like the PowerStation and the prism.

Thanks

I think it is pretty awful to learn he lip syncs. I do not listen to his live shows, only attended one before 2022 and had never read or engaged in discussions of his performances.

Now, I didn't realize he was doing it live, it never occurred to me that would be a thing. I have a hard time thinking of any self respecting musician not actually doing what they look like they are doing. It's acting then.

The show was entertaining but I have less respect for Roger choosing to not sing some songs live. If he can't hit the notes or have it sound like he wants then in my opinion he should pick another song he can handle.

I have more respect for somebody like Doug Gray or David Lee Roth or Tom Keifer, none of whom can sing like they used to but they get up there and give it their all rather than pretend they are singing while a vocal tape plays.

Thanks

A few thoughts, just for the sake of trying to put things in perspective:

The man is 78 years old. Is it really such a huge shock that he's almost certainly lip syncing songs (or parts of songs) he was straining to sing 45 years ago? I thought I noticed during the Pittsburgh show that a couple of numbers have "dropped down" to make them easier to handle, which you would certainly expect, but considering what has been suspected of his performances since 1999 (and basically proven at the Rock In Rio broadcast in, what, 2006?), I can't believe this is still something we're still grappling with.

For me, the money I spent to attend the show was right there on and above the stage for the entirety of the evening; that production was amazing to look at and listen to. I think there are some pacing issues in the first half that might need some tweaking (it felt to me like it took the show a few songs to really get moving), and I was under no illusions that whenever his voice went above a certain point that it was likely Memorex instead of live, but I didn't feel at all like I was being hoodwinked or taken advantage of because it was clear that an enormous amount of time and thought went into that show and I was entertained, surprised, and occasionally moved throughout the evening. Again, for me, that is all that truly matters.

Waters seemingly abandoned the idea of your typical live rock concert performance in 1980 in favor of something far more structured and far less spontaneous. He clearly prefers things done exactly the way he wants them done, whether it means playing the same songs the same way every single night or not. Sure, I love live music as much as anyone else, but for some acts (and Waters is far from the only act miming to a tape when the show demands it), the spectacle and the message is the draw for me, and if he feels the need to "cheat" a bit in order to achieve his ends, then I'm fine with it. Nick and David cover the "live" performance of Floyd material just fine for me, but I also share Roger's zest for something bigger, so he gets a pass from me every time.

Just my take. To each their own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vbc3 View Post

The man is 78 years old. Is it really such a huge shock that he's almost certainly lip syncing songs (or parts of songs) he was straining to sing 45 years ago? I thought I noticed during the Pittsburgh show that a couple of numbers have "dropped down" to make them easier to handle, which you would certainly expect, but considering what has been suspected of his performances since 1999 (and basically proven at the Rock In Rio broadcast in, what, 2006?), I can't believe this is still something we're still grappling with.

For me, the money I spent to attend the show was right there on and above the stage for the entirety of the evening; that production was amazing to look at and listen to. I think there are some pacing issues in the first half that might need some tweaking (it felt to me like it took the show a few songs to really get moving), and I was under no illusions that whenever his voice went above a certain point that it was likely Memorex instead of live, but I didn't feel at all like I was being hoodwinked or taken advantage of because it was clear that an enormous amount of time and thought went into that show and I was entertained, surprised, and occasionally moved throughout the evening. Again, for me, that is all that truly matters.

Waters seemingly abandoned the idea of your typical live rock concert performance in 1980 in favor of something far more structured and far less spontaneous. He clearly prefers things done exactly the way he wants them done, whether it means playing the same songs the same way every single night or not. Sure, I love live music as much as anyone else, but for some acts (and Waters is far from the only act miming to a tape when the show demands it), the spectacle and the message is the draw for me, and if he feels the need to "cheat" a bit in order to achieve his ends, then I'm fine with it. Nick and David cover the "live" performance of Floyd material just fine for me, but I also share Roger's zest for something bigger, so he gets a pass from me every time.

I could not agree more. It is what it is. One should go to Adele to expect something totally real. Even U2 uses a sort of Autotune since the 90s

Best
    Nils

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vbc3 View Post

Well said!
    I completely agree with you.
    Pink Floyd The Wall: June 13th 1981 London
    Pink Floyd: June 14th 1988 Rotterdam
    Pink Floyd: September 4th 1994 Rotterdam
    Roger Waters: May 15th 2002 Rotterdam
    Roger Waters: June 10th 2006 Lichtenvoorde
    Roger Waters: July 7th 2006 Rotterdam
    Roger Waters: May 5th 2007 Arnhem
    Roger Waters: May 11th 2008 Landgraaf
    RW The Wall: April 8th 2011 Arnhem
    RW The Wall: May 28th 2011 Antwerpen
    RW The Wall: July 18th 2013 Arnhem
    RW The Wall: September 8th 2013 Amsterdam
    Roger Waters: May 11th 2018 Antwerpen
    Roger Waters: June 18th 2018 Amsterdam
    Roger Waters: July 14th 2018 Roma
    Nick Mason: September 8th 2018 Antwerpen
    Nick Mason: July 23th 2019 Amsterdam

Thanks

I think credit is due to Roger because he's actually lip synching a lot less than on previous tours. He screwed up the lyrics several times at the Saturday Toronto show including on Have a Cigar and Run Like Hell, both of which I would've assumed were lip synced originally. He also slightly messed up singing on Is This the Life We Really Want? and Wish You Were Here.