Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters 6th july 2022 live

Thanks

"And, by the way, with all due respect to the Weeknd or Drake or any of them, I am far, far, far more important than any of them will ever be, however many billions of streams theyve got."

Roger being Roger

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...the-weeknd-is/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny12 View Post
    "And, by the way, with all due respect to the Weeknd or Drake or any of them, I am far, far, far more important than any of them will ever be, however many billions of streams they’ve got."

Roger being Roger

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...the-weeknd-is/

Oh boy. Haha

He says he has no idea who The Weekend is, and I would say it's fair then to speculate that he has no idea who Drake is, yet he feels confident that he is more "important". Their billions of streams represent joy to millions of people... but I guess those people are not as "important" as the people who are receptive to what Roger Waters has to say in his concerts. For all of his appeals to the welfare of the common man, he has become a bit of an elitist prick. A modern day Hans Keller who happened to grow up with Neil Young and John Lennon rather than this rather loud, regressive hip hop.

Though my politics more or less overlap with his, I can't take him seriously anymore. Furthermore, stuff like this actually hurts the causes he claims to care about, because he damages his own credibility. Between things like this and him whining on twitter about not being able to use the Pink Floyd social accounts, I'm not sure if I should laugh at him or feel bad for him. It brings me no joy to say any of that.

Thanks for the article, Skinny. Not shooting the messenger here.

Thanks

I fully agree on that.

The complete Interview is somewhat weird and shows some 'me against the world' issues. Next the Covid virus is from David...to let HIM suffer...

Best
    Nils

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    Not wanting to de-rail the topic too much but I can't understand the disproportionate slating of Jon Carin at every opportunity. It seems to me that all the credit he took in his FB posts line up pretty convincingly with the probability of how PF 1986-94 would have worked.
    i just think jon's self-importance is a bit disproportionate these days. yes, he contributed massively to the later years floyd, and he contributed massively to gilmour's solo efforts, but he was a hired hand, and was given credit where (and when) it was due. if gilmour (and wright) didn't also thank him in private for all he did, shame on them. but to repay all those years of dedication to him that david displayed (he could have easily hired someone else whenever he wished, but kept calling jon, and even encouraged him to work with roger, too) with the passive-aggressive slagging off that he's done on FB... is just a bit juvenile to me. and completely undeserved. it's still not obvious what incident occurred to set him off that way (perhaps it was the complete lack of mention in the 'mortal remains' exhibitions, idk), but he was never a full member of PF, nor was he ever going to become one. and it was never his name on the marquee for the solo tours. as a hired hand (sideman), he's been rewarded year after year with a dream gig (or three), that he could have walked away from at any time if he thought his contributions were being undervalued. but he stuck around, and cashed the checks!

so i poke at him, just because i can. just as i poke at roger (whose ego is even more over-inflated, obviously, though more deservedly, too), but roger would never be able to post on FB the way jon does. the deluge of sycophants and haters would have him bashing his computer monitor with his favourite ax, like some deranged pop star from the 70s!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny12 View Post
    I fully agree on that.

The complete Interview is somewhat weird and shows some 'me against the world' issues. Next the Covid virus is from David...to let HIM suffer...

Best
    Nils
    this was the most interesting part to me: Audiences are far more attentive to what I have to say now than they were then. And, also, I say it more coherently and clearly now than I did then, because now Im not constrained by the rock group that I was with then. They were always trying to drag me back from my natural instinct, which is to tell the truth. Whats interesting about you being here with me now is that none of the newspapers in Toronto sent anybody to review my shows. What Id like to know, what Id like you to ponder on, and maybe ask your readers, is if they have any theories as to why that may be?

so the band were keeping him from telling the truth, eh? or is it closer to "the truth" to say, the band (and producer, re: ezrin) just wanted him to say things more succinctly, and with a greater focus? with less rambling and finger pointing? roger loves to downplay the other guys' contributions, and would never admit in a million lifetimes that they were all successful together. he really thinks he's the only reason that PF is the world famous behemoth that it is... while simultaneously not registering that his solo career comes nowhere near being as successful, by any measure, even though he had complete control of it (and zero input from "those guys" at all)! what an ego!!

but then later the interviewer lets him know that the paper did, indeed, try to get an interview before the shows even happened, and roger just lets that little fact slide on by: Good, Im glad to hear that, and I look forward to reading this in the pages of your newspaper.

i'm surprised he didn't promise to have his press liaison fired for such a travesty of justice...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    Oh boy. Haha

Though my politics more or less overlap with his, I can't take him seriously anymore. Furthermore, stuff like this actually hurts the causes he claims to care about, because he damages his own credibility. Between things like this and him whining on twitter about not being able to use the Pink Floyd social accounts, I'm not sure if I should laugh at him or feel bad for him. It brings me no joy to say any of that.
    i definitely laugh at him. i'll never feel bad for any multi-millionaire who has such a prominent pulpit from which to advocate for a better world, who then proceeds to let his EGO do most of the talking. you don't have to shout into a microphone to be heard, roger! and so many of us have been listening for many, many years, already. the ones who haven't will only hear the distortion...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vbc3 View Post
    A few thoughts, just for the sake of trying to put things in perspective:

The man is 78 years old. Is it really such a huge shock that he's almost certainly lip syncing songs (or parts of songs) he was straining to sing 45 years ago? I thought I noticed during the Pittsburgh show that a couple of numbers have "dropped down" to make them easier to handle, which you would certainly expect, but considering what has been suspected of his performances since 1999 (and basically proven at the Rock In Rio broadcast in, what, 2006?), I can't believe this is still something we're still grappling with.

For me, the money I spent to attend the show was right there on and above the stage for the entirety of the evening; that production was amazing to look at and listen to. I think there are some pacing issues in the first half that might need some tweaking (it felt to me like it took the show a few songs to really get moving), and I was under no illusions that whenever his voice went above a certain point that it was likely Memorex instead of live, but I didn't feel at all like I was being hoodwinked or taken advantage of because it was clear that an enormous amount of time and thought went into that show and I was entertained, surprised, and occasionally moved throughout the evening. Again, for me, that is all that truly matters.

Waters seemingly abandoned the idea of your typical live rock concert performance in 1980 in favor of something far more structured and far less spontaneous. He clearly prefers things done exactly the way he wants them done, whether it means playing the same songs the same way every single night or not. Sure, I love live music as much as anyone else, but for some acts (and Waters is far from the only act miming to a tape when the show demands it), the spectacle and the message is the draw for me, and if he feels the need to "cheat" a bit in order to achieve his ends, then I'm fine with it. Nick and David cover the "live" performance of Floyd material just fine for me, but I also share Roger's zest for something bigger, so he gets a pass from me every time.

Just my take. To each their own.
    Bang on.

Here's my review of the Toronto gigs - I knew it and didn't even mention it, as there are far bigger fish to fry. This show is one of the greatest things I've ever experienced.

https://bobsinnermusings.blogspot.co...not-drill.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ammoj2 View Post
    I think credit is due to Roger because he's actually lip synching a lot less than on previous tours. He screwed up the lyrics several times at the Saturday Toronto show including on Have a Cigar and Run Like Hell, both of which I would've assumed were lip synced originally. He also slightly messed up singing on Is This the Life We Really Want? and Wish You Were Here.
    Early tour kinks. I I'm sure they're well sorted out now. He was flawless in Detroit.

He also flubbed The Bar on the first night in Toronto:

"So from 48's North Dakota here's a message for The Man
    Would you kindly get the F off our land"

...but he sang "from" the man instead of "for." And he corrected himself because that one word completely changes the intent of the line. Bless him.

Last edited by The Real Wizard; 2022-07-29 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Wizard View Post
    Early tour kinks. I I'm sure they're well sorted out now. He was flawless in Detroit.

He also flubbed The Bar on the first night in Toronto:

"So from 48's North Dakota here's a message for The Man
    Would you kindly get the F off our land"

...but he sang "from" the man instead of "for." And he corrected himself because that one word completely changes the intent of the line. Bless him.

Where were these seats? Looks like a little further back might be better for this show.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mekmad View Post
    Where were these seats? Looks like a little further back might be better for this show.
    Not my video, but I fully agree with that sentiment - if you want to be close to the stage, you'll see the band but you'll miss much of the production. I'd say half way back and centred is ideal.