Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Final cut immersion edition

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post

So maybe something like this.

Disc 1 (CD): New stereo remix of the album.
    Disc 2 (CD): Demos and outtakes.
    Disc 3 (DVD/Blu-ray): Hi-res version of new mix / 5.1 mix / Restored video EP.
    In fact, it would be something like this:

Disc 1: Original 1983 Mix
    Disc 2: 2023 remaster
    Blu-ray: 5.1 mix
    Extra: a 16 pages book with some Roger's rant about how much he hate the war

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post
    I think an immersion box for The Final cut is a bit too much. But a special edition of 2 or 3 discs would be nice.
    And I would love to hear the demos in better quality than what we have and a 5.1 mix!

So maybe something like this.

Disc 1 (CD): New stereo remix of the album.
    Disc 2 (CD): Demos and outtakes.
    Disc 3 (DVD/Blu-ray): Hi-res version of new mix / 5.1 mix / Restored video EP.
    I think I listened to the demos once and then forgot about them because the sound quality was so bad. I don't remember anything being compelling enough or different enough from the final recording to wish for a better version though. Did I miss something?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keleven View Post
    I think I listened to the demos once and then forgot about them because the sound quality was so bad. I don't remember anything being compelling enough or different enough from the final recording to wish for a better version though. Did I miss something?
    The vocals are the most notable difference. IMO a lot of the demo vocals are substantially better than the finalized album's, particularly on the title track. The sound quality is rough for sure, but I honestly tend to listen to the demos more than the album for about half of the tracks

Thanks

The song "Not Now John" is much, much better in the demo version. I would buy an Immersion set just to have that track in perfect quality.

Thanks

I used to listen to the demos a lot because I love the roughness and to me somehow they feel a bit more organic and warm than the finished mix even though the quality is poor. And some of the songs are quite different from the finished ones.
    I would love to hear them from the original tapes just like we got all those demos from The Wall!

Thanks

Maybe a box for that album would benefit from a chronological disposition of the material:
    -- for starters, I suspect that some of the songs (Possible Pasts, Fletcher Memorial Home, Final Cut and possibly Two Suns in the Sunset) originate from The Pros and Cons '78 demo (which, we know, was projected to be a double LP when showcased to the band), so original demos would be great.
    -- then comes the Spare Bricks phase - some selections from the The Wall movie sessions (yes, Tigers should be safely deployed here); plus any unreleased recordings (for example. the late Alan Parker wrote that a 'compelling' or 'majestic', I can't remember the quote exactly, orchestral piece that served as an Overture had been recorded but remained unused; due to what seems to me a play on the 'We'll meet again' motif, I've always suspected that it's that precise Overture which Roger used for the Memorial Fund for Disaster Relief charity spot that accompanied the '90 Wall at Berlin show.)
    -- now follows the reworked, post Falkland concept so any demos and recording outtakes go here.
    -- a remix of the album, of course, though i quite like the job they did with the original one (safe for 'Now Now John'; Pink Floyd always seemed somewhat inept at mixing heavy* songs, cf Pigs, Young Lust, Not Now John, The Nile Song, In The Flesh etc.)
    -- maybe a new transfer of the EP movie? (Hey, did you catch that Margery Mason reprised the role of the teacher's wife for the EP? Detail freak or an artist caring about income for senior actors when the country is in dire straits... the horse-face with a heart of gold does it again!)

===============
    * as in 'Pink Floyd-heavy', not 'heavy-heavy'.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floyd_zenith View Post
    Maybe a box for that album would benefit from a chronological disposition of the material:
    for example. the late Alan Parker wrote that a 'compelling' or 'majestic', I can't remember the quote exactly, orchestral piece that served as an Overture had been recorded but remained unused; due to what seems to me a play on the 'We'll meet again' motif, I've always suspected that it's that precise Overture which Roger used for the Memorial Fund for Disaster Relief charity spot that accompanied the '90 Wall at Berlin show.
    When/where did Alan write that? The original Wall album session sheets indicate that two versions of an Overture for Comfortably Numb were recorded, but I have never heard an overture was recorded for the film.
    www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 80 Posts

Just my 2 cents, but I'd much rather have a Meddle Immersion Edition, AHM Immersion Edition, OBC Immersion Edition, More Immersion Edition and/or Ummagumma Immersion Edition, than a Final Cut anything. It has probably been almost 40 years since I listened to TFC, and there's no reason to believe that an Immersion Edition would make me change that habit... I'm not a fan of that album... or, for the most part, The Wall either. Although The Wall is certainly better than The Final Cut.
    Off surfing with Linda, of course!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Rae View Post
    When/where did Alan write that? The original Wall album session sheets indicate that two versions of an Overture for Comfortably Numb were recorded, but I have never heard an overture was recorded for the film.
    1. The Overture to the movie (i.e. preceding When the Tigers Broke Free) was recorded in the soundtrack sessions. I am almost sure Alan Parker had written about this in his essay for the American Cinematographer magazine in 1982. (The quote was something along the lines of "An overture was recorded as well - a majestic/compelling piece of orchestral music but that ended up on the cutting room floor as well.")

2. My guess was/is that this overture resurfaces as the musical accompaniment for the Memorial Fund advertisement in 1990. Here, recorded live from the audience during the intermission of the 1990-07-21 concert itself.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 Times in 64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aybesea View Post
    Just my 2 cents, but I'd much rather have a Meddle Immersion Edition, AHM Immersion Edition, OBC Immersion Edition, More Immersion Edition and/or Ummagumma Immersion Edition, than a Final Cut anything. It has probably been almost 40 years since I listened to TFC, and there's no reason to believe that an Immersion Edition would make me change that habit... I'm not a fan of that album... or, for the most part, The Wall either. Although The Wall is certainly better than The Final Cut.
    i would love to see an Immersion edition of those titles as well!! i know a lot of people like The Final Cut, i am definitely not one of them! i have actually listened to it quite a bit this past year. i was trying to give it another shot... i'm still not a fan. i don't think that any new material could surface that would change my mind on it. NOT NOW JOHN, is the only song i really dig from the record.