Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Final cut immersion edition

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floyd_zenith View Post
    2. My guess was/is that this overture resurfaces as the musical accompaniment for the Memorial Fund advertisement in 1990. Here, recorded live from the audience during the intermission of the 1990-07-21 concert itself.
    Interesting thought. That orchestral piece always struck me. I somehow imagined itnto be the work of Michael Kamen who conducted the orchestra in Berlin and it does seem very relevant musically. Doesn't strax. Could it be? Damn I want someone to answer this! Who could one ask?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LedFloyd25 View Post
    In fact, it would be something like this:

Disc 1: Original 1983 Mix
    Disc 2: 2023 remaster
    Blu-ray: 5.1 mix
    Extra: a 16 pages book with some Roger's rant about how much he hate the war
    Quote Originally Posted by keleven View Post
    I think I listened to the demos once and then forgot about them because the sound quality was so bad. I don't remember anything being compelling enough or different enough from the final recording to wish for a better version though. Did I miss something?
    If something TFC ever sees the light of day again it might be a 5.1 mix (Blu-ray). Like 'Amused To Death'. The album ain't popular enough for a full blown Immersion release.

I agree with most that the legendary 'Meddle' album deserves a re-release. The 5.1 mix that was accidentally included in 'The Early Years' box has the the echo and the guitar separated to the left and right channel in 'One of these days' which destroys the effect (to my ears). Maybe that's why Waters (or Gilmour) didn't want it in there. I hope they'll make a proper 5.1 or 4.0 mix someday. Maybe they'll include the 'demo' versions of OOTD that is on the b00tleg 'Sophisticated Colours'. But I don't think they will because they didn't on 'The Early Years' either...

Thanks

1. The Overture to the movie (i.e. preceding When the Tigers Broke Free) was recorded in the soundtrack sessions. I am almost sure Alan Parker had written about this in his essay for the American Cinematographer magazine in 1982. (The quote was something along the lines of "An overture was recorded as well - a majestic/compelling piece of orchestral music but that ended up on the cutting room floor as well.")

2. My guess was/is that this overture resurfaces as the musical accompaniment for the Memorial Fund advertisement in 1990. Here, recorded live from the audience during the intermission of the 1990-07-21 concert itself.
    Very interesting. I'll have to pick up that back issue of AC. I have a lot of old magazines and interviews about The Wall film, but not that one. Michael Kamen re-recorded and expanded his orchestrations from The Wall album for the film version, so I suppose that could be a re-recording of the overture from the original Wall sessions - the "bit with the orchestra all got shortened radically" that Gilmour talked about - or possibly something new written for the film.
    www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmxp.com View Post
    Interesting thought. That orchestral piece always struck me. I somehow imagined itnto be the work of Michael Kamen who conducted the orchestra in Berlin and it does seem very relevant musically. Doesn't strax. Could it be? Damn I want someone to answer this! Who could one ask?
    Well, it certainly sounds like Kamen's orchestrations for the Wall movie etc., has some vaguely Waters-esque feel and to me it seems to develop from the "We'll meet again" motif (folks with musical literacy and competences, I beseech you!). Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Rae View Post
    Very interesting. I'll have to pick up that back issue of AC. I have a lot of old magazines and interviews about The Wall film, but not that one. Michael Kamen re-recorded and expanded his orchestrations from The Wall album for the film version, so I suppose that could be a re-recording of the overture from the original Wall sessions - the "bit with the orchestra all got shortened radically" that Gilmour talked about - or possibly something new written for the film.
    IIRC, it was the same essay where he vividly describes how they sculpted a human head from ground meat over a (I presume) plastic skull, bred a colony of flies and shot a fortnight-worth of time-lapse of the revealing of the skull. All this happening in some entomological laboratory or something. The resulting footage, which was supposed to appear in flashes during the marching hammers sequence from Waiting for the Worms (again, IIRC), was scrapped...

Thanks

1. The Overture to the movie (i.e. preceding When the Tigers Broke Free) was recorded in the soundtrack sessions. I am almost sure Alan Parker had written about this in his essay for the American Cinematographer magazine in 1982. (The quote was something along the lines of "An overture was recorded as well - a majestic/compelling piece of orchestral music but that ended up on the cutting room floor as well.")

I found the article. He talked about the new music that was being produced in the post production stage - things like Roger completing When The Tiger Broke Free because it had never been recorded before, the new version of Mother, the new Outside The Wall, et cetera. Here is the quote.

"there was a prelude, a quite remarkable piece of music which, unfortunately, didn't quite work with the rather unusual, quiet beginning of the film, and sadly had to be left out."
    Last edited by Kit Rae; 2022-07-16 at 07:45 PM.
    www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Rae View Post
    I found the article. He talked about the new music that was being produced in the post production stage - things like Roger completing When The Tiger Broke Free because it had never been recorded before, the new version of Mother, the new Outside The Wall, et cetera. Here is the quote.

"there was a prelude, a quite remarkable piece of music which, unfortunately, didn't quite work with the rather unusual, quiet beginning of the film, and sadly had to be left out."
    Many thanks for bothering to hunt down the reference!

Well, it seems that my recollections were somewhat correct. The 'orchestral' part in my memory, I see now, was probably inferred by the context i.e. Parker writes about other orchestral pieces being recorded for the soundtrack. Semantically speaking, the solemn, almost hymn-like, rendition of the piece in the Memorial Fund ad does in fact sit at odds with the scaled down, minimalistic and reflection-provoking beginning of the movie (I mean the Anzio bunker part). So at the very least this doesn't disprove my hypothesis.