Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nick Mason's Drum Heads 1969-1971

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Small Fish View Post
    The waves look like a Katsushika Hokusai illustration called The Great Wave off Kanagawa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gr...e_off_Kanagawa
    That's because they were meant to be a replica, painted by Katy Hepburn.

According to Nick, after PF's visit to Japan in 1972, he was so moved by the culture that he decided to have his Ludwig kit painted with "The Great Wave".
    "If I participate in this f***ing effort I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Thanks

Isn't this the star kit you are looking for? I think he used it for Autumn/Winter 1970 (probably introduced after the theft of the equipment in the US, the "Egyptian kit" included)
    gettyimages-86099653-612x612.jpggettyimages-600205207-612x612.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerryIsBored View Post
    That's because they were meant to be a replica, painted by Katy Hepburn.

According to Nick, after PF's visit to Japan in 1972, he was so moved by the culture that he decided to have his Ludwig kit painted with "The Great Wave".
    Thanks. Good to know

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floyd_zenith View Post
    Isn't this the star kit you are looking for? I think he used it for Autumn/Winter 1970 (probably introduced after the theft of the equipment in the US, the "Egyptian kit" included)
    gettyimages-86099653-612x612.jpggettyimages-600205207-612x612.jpg
    Yeah that's the kit! I'm pretty sure Nick wasn't using the Egyptian kit by then, but I'd have to look at the pictures to be sure. Unfortuantely, the Star kit doesn't have very many color sources for the heads.
    "If I participate in this f***ing effort I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Thanks

I've just realized that it's also possible that the Nico van der Stam Archives book may have some pics of these heads in it, but I don't want to buy it without being sure.

On second thought, it does seem to be a very good book from what I've heard, so I may pick up a copy anyways (if they are still available).

Thanks

I've actually found a color pic of the star heads in the "Their Mortal Remains" book:
    VA-PFb_2017_16-1000x667.jpg
    I think I'm actually going to grab a copy of this book, anyone know a trusted place to get one online?