Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Mono/Stereo hybrid remix

Thanks

Default Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Mono/Stereo hybrid remix

This is really well done and to these old ears, it sounds amazing. Prof. Stoned does good work.

https://www.profstoned.com/2022/07/t...s-of-dawn.html

Thanks

Wow, that sounds great. Apples and Oranges is definitely a highlight from this release.
    Concerts:

Roger Waters - Philadelphia, 2017.

Ozzy Osbourne - Camden, NJ, 2018.

Thanks

Fantastic clarity and detail.

Cheers

Thanks

Piper sounds incredibly good now!
    Yes, Prof Stoned is the best.
    R.M.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,364 Times in 80 Posts

Thanks for the head's up. It's now in my play queue.
    Off surfing with Linda, of course.

Thanks

He's also put together a compilation called In The Beechwoods (The 2nd Syd Album Reconstructed)

https://www.profstoned.com/2021/09/p...syd-album.html

Thanks
    Thanked 4,378 Times in 47 Posts

I'm usually dismissive of DES manipulations but this one came out fantastic. It's definitely much better than 1967 stereo mix. It's more wider stereo and no longer have empty channel during half of Pow.R.Toc.H.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hallucalation View Post
    I'm usually dismissive of DES manipulations but this one came out fantastic. It's definitely much better than 1967 stereo mix. It's more wider stereo and no longer have empty channel during half of Pow.R.Toc.H.
    I've not heard of the term "DES". What does that expand out to? (Yes, I've tried searching for the term. It's too generic to get specific hits.)

Thanks

Digitally enhanced stereo?

Thanks

Digital Extracted Stereo

I know people tend to scoff at anything that tries to convert mono to stereo, but this type of thing these days is the real deal and super easy to do. Basically you use one of several programs that use AI to extract discrete channels from a mono source then remix those channels into real stereo. It is not fake stereo or any weird use of echo or phase to create stereo.

These programs can literally separate individual instruments/vocals as separate channels from a mono source. I've been able to get up to 8 separate/discrete channels using a program called RipX and then use audacity to remix those channels into stereo. It works great and takes little effort to get great results.

I've done nearly everything Floyd related that was never mixed into stereo using this method, sadly since most of this stuff is official releases I do it only for my own use and can't share it here but it is so simple to do others are starting to catch on. On that note I'd love to share the stuff here if the mods would let it, I think it is really a grey area as yes the original tracks are official but they have been remixed to the point they bare little resemblance to the officially released title.

The key is using a program like Ripx to extract discrete individual tracks, I can usually get the following extracted which are discrete: vocals, bass guitar, guitar, keyboards, kick drum, percussion, cymbals etc. Once you get a mono track broken down into this many discrete audio channels then it's just a matter of taste and skill as to how you remix it into stereo.

This can work fine to remix stereo tracks as well, early stereo audio where one side had vocals and the other side had instruments can easily be remixed.
    Last edited by swanlee; 2022-07-19 at 04:08 PM.