Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music, message and money - What comes first and how does it fit together?

Thanks

Default Music, message and money - What comes first and how does it fit together?

Triggered by the recent CNN interview (no, I won't discuss politics in here!) I was just asking myself, how Roger's 'This Is Not a Drill'-Tour is currently doing from a financial point of view. How are the ticktet sales and are they strong enough to offset all the massive costs related to this tour? How many of the shows were sold out? And: Could the interview have any negative impact on the remaining US dates or even jeopardize the envisaged European leg of the tour?
    Last edited by watman; 2022-08-11 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks

The two shows I attended were full on the lower levels and 3/4 full on the uppermost levels, and $35 tickets were available the day before the shows. I have been going to Roger's shows since 1987 attending multiple shows on every tour in the US, Canada, and the UK and the politics are way up this year with the CNN interview being way very much over the top.
    There is one more Roger ticket on my phone, and then 2 of Nick's shows.

Thanks

It will be interesting to see how sales will go for the rest of the U.S. leg of the tour, and even more so when it arrives in Europe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul387 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how sales will go for the rest of the U.S. leg of the tour, and even more so when it arrives in Europe.
    Does it matter? he's got more money than he can ever spend - so he probably doesnt give a toss how repugnant people find his pro Russia views

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 42 Posts

Maybe he should go on tour where he will feel more at home and where the Powers That Be will find him to be a kindred spirit: The People's Republic of China
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

I'm sure he's doing fine. Actual attendance probably isn't the best sales indicator because most of these tickets were bought pre-Covid. They did offer a brief window to get a refund, which I'd meant to do but it was about #8,639 on my priority list at the time and once I got around to it Ticketmaster rudely and gleefully told me I was past the window. I doubt I'm alone so I'm sure he got his Money from many others who may or may not show up. Politics aside, whether the arenas end up full or 3/4 full or 1/2 full, I am happy for him. It obviously pained him in the '80s when he was struggling to fill 1,000 seat theatres while Dave & Co. were selling out whole stadiums performing his songs, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, even a communist. However many seats he can fill now, it's enough to tell half his fans to **** off, and it's hard to begrudge him the privilege after all the joy he's given us and the 30 years of career rehab it took him to get there, even if he's determined to be a total dumbass about it.

Thanks

I iike how another thread was rightly locked because of people expressing their not-so-liberal views and it was decided that it was too 'political' - yet here we are with yet another thread with people doing exactly the same.

Just to clarify how I'm reading Yeeshkul's policies here - and correct me if I'm wrong - but sly digs towards Roger are more than welcome. It's when you try to offer any opposing view that the thread in question will be locked.

So far we've had "What a dick! (Roger)" and "What a Dick part 2 (Roger)" and now this... "Roger's a madman who must have offended everyone, I hope he stops selling tickets because of what he said. Anyone have any info?"

I am curious about what the next thread will be about? "Roger was Jack the Ripper?" "Roger is leading us into a nuclear war..." ?

How about leaving this nonsense off the board and going and posting these things on Reddit? (as was suggested multiple times in the other threads)

To quote Vic Reeves, "you just wouldn't let it lie..." (or was that Bob?)

I'm not a mod but I am getting sick of this bias here - and it seems to be fuelled by one or two very determined individuals.
    Last edited by montymole; 2022-08-12 at 04:50 AM.

Thanks

I agree that this is not the place for political mud slinging (or the classic Roger v.s. David crap), though you are lamenting that opposing views are allegedly not welcome on threads that you think should not exist here in the first place. Forgive my saying so, but that is pretzel logic.

Thanks

Most of Rogers music these days is about politics,religion and wars.
    But mention it here and the thread gets closed.
    I dont get it.

Its like going to a beer festival and not drinking beer.
    Or supporting a football team who you never go and watch.

Rogers full CNN interview is on YT now.
    Interesting to see how CNN edited it.

I cant see that interview effecting ticket sales.
    Roger is Roger, its what he does.

Wonder if the crowd fight at the Philly show was over
    the price of the tickets or Rogers interview?

He wont worry about ticket sales or if he is winning or losing.
    This show is just about his ego and getting his point out there.
    Its not like he needs the money.
    Last edited by yyz; 2022-08-12 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 54,169 Times in 1,491 Posts

I agree to discuss Waters' latest tour, but his ideas create conflict.
    Yeeshkul! it is a place to talk about music and we reduce ourselves to a mere fight for who is right.
    Let's see what happens this time.

Pink Floyd Audio and Video
    Roger Waters Audio and Video
    David Gilmour Audio and Video
    Syd Barrett Audio and Video
    Nick Mason Audio and Video
    Richard Wright Audio and Video