Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music, message and money - What comes first and how does it fit together?

Thanks
    Thanked 54,230 Times in 1,491 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by montymole View Post
    I iike how another thread was rightly locked because of people expressing their not-so-liberal views and it was decided that it was too 'political' - yet here we are with yet another thread with people doing exactly the same.
    You may have realized that the first thread was closed after your sermon on brainwashing and more.
    My arms and balls fell off reading you.
    You have done nothing but express your ideas, certainly not those of Waters or Gilmour, hence the invitation to continue on some social media.

Pink Floyd Audio and Video
    Roger Waters Audio and Video
    David Gilmour Audio and Video
    Syd Barrett Audio and Video
    Nick Mason Audio and Video
    Richard Wright Audio and Video

Thanks

To me, Roger's political views are as relevant for discussion as anything else about PF we discuss on here.

The tragedy is that we (by that I mean the population at large) can't examine his statements, say what we agree and disagree with, without tribalism, name calling, shouting and other unpleasantness. So I guess that's why there is a consensus to ban political discussion on here.

I am ok with that - if that is the rule I will play by it. However, I find the lack of civility and curiosity in discussion unscientific and deeply depressing.

If someone wanted to keep us dumb, making discussion unpleasant or even toxic is a good way to do it.
    Last edited by KieranFunzig; 2022-08-12 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KieranFunzig View Post
    To me, Roger's political views are as relevant for discussion as anything else about PF we discuss on here.

The tragedy is that we (by that I mean the population at large) can't examine his statements, say what we agree and disagree with, without tribalism, name calling, shouting and other unpleasantness. So I guess that's why there is a consensus to ban political discussion on here.

I am ok with that - if that is the rule I will play by it. However, I find the lack of civility and curiosity in discussion unscientific and deeply depressing.

If someone wanted to keep us dumb, making discussion unpleasant or even toxic is a good way to do it.
    This is absolutel a new idea: to start your own website to discuss the political views of musicians and forbid everyone to discuss their musical creativity? So what are you?

These "civility and curiosity" expressed in such an impudent, boorish and commanding form are already more than toxic to the music forum in themselves.
    Last edited by YASHA; 2022-08-12 at 04:13 PM.

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

TBS14

Thanks

If nothing more to say on the questions, which I had raised, we may close this thread with this one:

https://fb.watch/eSbQHndtyq/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nipote View Post
    You may have realized that the first thread was closed after your sermon on brainwashing and more.
    My arms and balls fell off reading you.
    You have done nothing but express your ideas, certainly not those of Waters or Gilmour, hence the invitation to continue on some social media.
    It wasn't a sermon, it was just an opinion.

I'd honestly like to know why your arms and balls fell off when you read my post? Could you at least give me that rather than just a sweeping statement?

I mean this politely and in good faith that you'll give me a decent reply. This doesn't have to descend into tribalism and name-calling provided people are civil about it.

It's not like we're discussing the meaning of life here! It's just some geezer's opinion about things. Some I share, some I don't.
    Last edited by montymole; 2022-08-12 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 54,230 Times in 1,491 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by montymole View Post
    I'd honestly like to know why your arms and balls fell off when you read my post? Could you at least give me that rather than just a sweeping statement?
    Simply because you have moved from the topic of discussion to your own personal ideas.
    Right or wrong, here we talk about Pink Floyd music.

For this I invite anyone to let off steam on socials, there are many.

Pink Floyd Audio and Video
    Roger Waters Audio and Video
    David Gilmour Audio and Video
    Syd Barrett Audio and Video
    Nick Mason Audio and Video
    Richard Wright Audio and Video

Thanks

Then your point is that we can't talk about the people who created this music - only the notes they played?

Might I just point out that this entire thread is about the impact of Roger Waters' CNN interview and how it might affect ticket sales - nobody is discussing the actual music being performed.

It does seem a bit strange, but okay, you make the rules around here and I'm happy to respect them. Not another peep from me about el Rog or the crackpot views that we may share.
    Last edited by montymole; 2022-08-12 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YASHA View Post
    This is absolutel a new idea: to start your own website to discuss the political views of musicians and forbid everyone to discuss their musical creativity? So what are you?

These "civility and curiosity" expressed in such an impudent, boorish and commanding form are already more than toxic to the music forum in themselves.
    I am not sure what you are getting at. Do you think I said something about banning discussion of musical creativity?

What am I? Give me more context if you want an answer.

I genuinely don't want to come across as boorish or impudent, maybe that is my bad or perhaps it's your take on my text. Can you give me an example how I could make my point without the tone you seem to be objecting too?

Maybe this is the wrong forum to express a view on the quality of online discourse in general, though it seemed relevant to the thread.

I thought I was was speaking in fairly neutral territory (doesn't everyone want to examine the truth?) but things obviously get out of hand so quick so I don't blame mods if they want to limit topics.
    Last edited by KieranFunzig; 2022-08-12 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks

1. What a dick was in reference to his condescending attitude towards the interviewer (Smerconish).
    And the link to the interview was posted for all to see, whether you like or loathe that jerk you might be interested in watching it.
    Lastly, it also was a comment towards his announcement at the beginning of the show. I used to like Roger's politics. But now that he's a senile old man, who in my opinion is an anti-Semite, I prefer to go to the bar now than listen to his senility.

2. It was funny how a commentator said on the thread, "perfect thread title" and in the next thread, "bad thread title".

3. I'm sorry that I have caused so many to be upset about posting about what I think about Roger Waters, I for one, have never attacked anyone's views on here. I vehemently disagree that we should only discuss music on this forum. If Roger wants to put out his message through his music than we should be able to discuss it.

But I'm not a Mod. I always defer to the Mods. Which is why I've rarely posted comments on here ever since Roger turned sinister years ago and some members could not keep the discussion about Roger.
    Last edited by brotherphloyd; 2022-08-12 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks

As far as Roger's views go, I am not sure I understand them. To me they seem inconsistent and tough for me to reconcile. So I am not sure why they spark a liberal v. conservative argument. Usually I am just kind of baffled by most of the things he says. Would be interested to hear a discussion along these lines if possible to be civil.