Thread: Harold Budd keyboard sound

Thanks

Default Harold Budd keyboard sound

Just been enjoying re-listening to "The Moon & the melodies" after many years absence, it's a 1986 collaboration between Harold Budd & The Cocteau Twins.
    Intrigued by the keyboard sound of Harold Budd, sounds awfully like the famous miked Leslie from Echoes.
    I hesitate to believe this as it's 1986 and anything was possible, hoping a keen eared keyboard aficionado can spot the sound?
    The main track in question is "Memory Gongs", it's a great extension of the sounds Rick was pioneering 15 years earlier.
    Here's an ad-infested YT clip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81sosQxy3UE

Thanks

I've just listened to it - like you, again, after quite a long time - and I am convinced that it is, as real as it gets, a piano through a slow Leslie. I suppose, being from this date, the only other thing it could be is a Kurzweil K250 through said Leslie setting, but I also cannot fathom why a real acoustic would not have been used instead (perhaps because it would been harder to microphone the event properly?).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoebLoop View Post
    I've just listened to it - like you, again, after quite a long time - and I am convinced that it is, as real as it gets, a piano through a slow Leslie. I suppose, being from this date, the only other thing it could be is a Kurzweil K250 through said Leslie setting, but I also cannot fathom why a real acoustic would not have been used instead (perhaps because it would been harder to microphone the event properly?).
    I'd love to think it was all analogue too
    As an aside, this clip is an excellent example of fan re-creation of the Leslie effect IMHO:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUHrxuhXfHg