Thread: Enquiry about Nick's drumming on the MLOR tour

Thanks

Default Enquiry about Nick's drumming on the MLOR tour

Hey all,

I did try to search for this topic and couldn't come up with anything, but just in case, apologies in advance, I hope I'm not reviving some hoary old chestnut.

At the time of the MLOR tour and afterward, I'd read comments that suggested Nick wasn't match-fit for a big tour after a few years away from it and the drums were not being played live, so I'm guessing they were on tape somehow/somewhere with Gary picking up the slack.

Can anyone speak to this idea with any authority, as a musician myself, weighing up the recordings and footage I've seen, it doesn't feel quite the case, or at least suggests that Nick was a pretty accomplished musical mime artist?
    Last edited by Softdog; 2022-08-30 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Softdog View Post
    Hey all,

I did try to search for this topic and couldn't come up with anything, but just in case, apologies in advance, I hope I'm not reviving some hoary old chestnut.

At the time of the MLOR tour and afterward, I'd read comments that suggested Nick wasn't match-fit for a big tour after a few years away from it and the drums were not being played live, so I'm guessing they were on tape somehow/somewhere with Gary picking up the slack.

Can anyone speak to this idea with any authority, as a musician myself the recordings and footage I've seen it doesn't feel quite the case, or at least suggests that Nick was a pretty accomplished musical mime artist?
    Nick took a while to get his chops back buy he always played live on tour.

Thanks

This soundcheck of Learning to Fly is pretty helpful in understanding how the drumming chores were divided, by April '88 at least. Nick was undoubtedly The Drummer, with Gary Wallis filling in with some percussion bits:

https://youtu.be/m4ZGZjtXObk

It'd be interesting to see something equivalent from the beginning of the tour to show how the situation evolved, although I can't imagine there was ever a backing tape situation - he might've been a bit out of practice, but surely it never hit the point where he couldn't play at all. Plus it'd be incredibly difficult for such a large band to sync with pre recorded drums.

Question for those who know MLOR period bootlegs well: are there any audible flubs on the drums early in the tour?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marksturdy View Post
    This soundcheck of Learning to Fly is pretty helpful in understanding how the drumming chores were divided, by April '88 at least. Nick was undoubtedly The Drummer, with Gary Wallis filling in with some percussion bits:

https://youtu.be/m4ZGZjtXObk

It'd be interesting to see something equivalent from the beginning of the tour to show how the situation evolved, although I can't imagine there was ever a backing tape situation - he might've been a bit out of practice, but surely it never hit the point where he couldn't play at all. Plus it'd be incredibly difficult for such a large band to sync with pre recorded drums.

Question for those who know MLOR period bootlegs well: are there any audible flubs on the drums early in the tour?
    the toronto rehearsals come to mind?
    ...any Floyd, is good floyd....
    visit the #1 Knopfler forum in the world at:

www.amarkintime.org/forum

1994.09.02, Werchter Festival Grounds - PF
    2011.06.18, ESPRIT Arena, Düsseldorf - RW
    2013.07.20, Werchter Festival Grounds --> full circle - RW
    2015.09.19, König Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen - DG
    2016.07.28, Grote Markt, Tienen - DG
    2018.09.08, Stadsschouwburg, Antwerpen - NM
    2021.05.19, Messe+Congress Centrum Halle, Münster - NM......YESSSSSSS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    Nick took a while to get his chops back buy he always played live on tour.
    But the drums you hear on the original DSOT and the original Knebworth sound totally different. It’s almost as-if Nick was not included in the mix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
    But the drums you hear on the original DSOT and the original Knebworth sound totally different. It’s almost as-if Nick was not included in the mix.
    During the MLOR tour Gary Wallis doubled on snare, hats, cymbals and toms when he wasn’t busy going berserk on aux percussion. A lot of what you hear on the original DSOT mix and the new mix to a lesser extent is him doubling up with Nick’s kick and cymbals mixed in. It’s particularly obvious on the live b-sides as his snare has an aggressively gated, almost distorted sound, and his hats are significantly more complex than Nick’s.

I’d have to watch Knebworth again but IIRC by that point Gary had a full drum kit along with his aux percussion setup. You can see both him and Nick playing drum kit side by side on Pulse. By then he’d toned down his drumming a bit so it’s a little harder to tell who’s really playing what, barring his tom fills which are a dead giveaway.

Thanks

The 1988 Nassau's recordings from Wolfgang's vault are excelent to understand how they played, and how they sounded live. Sometimes the front-of-house mixer would put some Gary's elements on the surround speakers. In all post-produced oficiall recordings, unfortunately the drums sounds are not raw, and doesn't totally reflect how it actually sounded live.