Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NMSOS 2022 Setlist vs. 2010s

Thanks

Default NMSOS 2022 Setlist vs. 2010s

I was wondering what you thought of the changes to the setlist for this tour. My take:

• Drop: IO major disappointment - it was one of the highlights for me
    • Drop: LTBML fine, once was enough
    • Drop: GITC fine, once was enough
    • Drop: PMATS fine, once was enough
    • Add: CAACB cool, glad to see this one get some attention
    • Add: Burning Bridges a curious choice, not one I would have considered, especially when Summer '68 is on the shelf
    • Add: Echoes an obvious highlight, even if it isn't quite as nice as the Gdansk version

I'm actually surprised that so much of the setlist remained the same. For example, I don't think The Nile Song holds up nearly as well as they think it does. They seem to be going out of their way to avoid Embryo/FOS/Cymbaline which were fixtures in 70-71 but STC, AHM, and OOTD seem to be sacrosanct. It's fine, it's an enjoyable show. I guess I can safely say that the format is not played out and I hope there is a third tour to follow.
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by movement View Post
    I was wondering what you thought of the changes to the setlist for this tour. My take:

• Drop: IO – major disappointment - it was one of the highlights for me
    • Drop: LTBML – fine, once was enough
    • Drop: GITC – fine, once was enough
    • Drop: PMATS – fine, once was enough
    • Add: CAACB – cool, glad to see this one get some attention
    • Add: Burning Bridges – a curious choice, not one I would have considered, especially when Summer '68 is on the shelf
    • Add: Echoes – an obvious highlight, even if it isn't quite as nice as the Gdansk version

I'm actually surprised that so much of the setlist remained the same. For example, I don't think The Nile Song holds up nearly as well as they think it does. They seem to be going out of their way to avoid Embryo/FOS/Cymbaline which were fixtures in 70-71 but STC, AHM, and OOTD seem to be sacrosanct. It's fine, it's an enjoyable show. I guess I can safely say that the format is not played out and I hope there is a third tour to follow.
    I'm still in the mode of being fine with anything they play. I feel like I was starved of seeing the early material live for my whole life (I'm in my 30's). Hearing Embryo and Cymbaline would be a treat though, for sure, and I could live with them swapping out Nile Song for one of those. Or maybe Corporal Clegg even. I have seen David do Fat Old Sun, so I am not as hungry for that one, personally. Having ASOS, Atom Heart Mother, and Echoes in one gig in 2022 is almost too good to be true... Definitely hoping for a third tour.

Shameless plug just because I am proud of it, though it could be tighter: A band I used to do did a combo of Interstellar Overdrive and Embryo. It works well... Hint hint guys, borrow the idea please : https://youtu.be/QsnwjO0lx2o
    Last edited by Lennyif; 2022-09-28 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks

I think Burning Bridges was an absolute Highlight, I love the entire Album
    That said, Summer 68 is probably the best song Rick ever wrote, it's such a weird mix of Psychedelic, Prog, and typical Floyd

I really liked the Nile Song as well

Embryo or Cymbaline instead of their AHM arrangement wouldn't be a bad Trade imo
    Sitting in my english Garden, waiting for the Sun

Thanks

They seem to be going out of their way to avoid Embryo/FOS/Cymbaline which were fixtures in 70-71 but STC, AHM, and OOTD seem to be sacrosanct. It's fine, it's an enjoyable show. I guess I can safely say that the format is not played out and I hope there is a third tour to follow.
    I also think The Embryo or Cymbaline would be excellent additions.

I also agree with you on The Nile Song. If they want a rocker in the set, The Gold it's in the... would be an excellent choice IMHO.

Thanks

• Drop: IO major disappointment - it was one of the highlights for me
    • Drop: LTBML fine, once was enough
    • Drop: GITC fine, once was enough
    • Drop: PMATS fine, once was enough
    • Add: CAACB cool, glad to see this one get some attention
    • Add: Burning Bridges a curious choice, not one I would have considered, especially when Summer '68 is on the shelf
    • Add: Echoes an obvious highlight, even if it isn't quite as nice as the Gdansk version

Man, what a bummer! I hadn't even realized that they decided to drop IO from the setlist, it's such a staple and especially with Lee Harris making hints towards Embryo in that track. I wonder why they decided to drop it.

I still don't understand why they haven't decided to play Embryo or Cymbaline.

The biggest letdowns for me was easily them removing PMATS, especially considering that it was never played live on tour by Floyd, it's such a nice closing song too way better than Bike. Another personal fav of mine is LTBML so that was a letdown as well.

Let's hope that they do another tour in 2023 and play some other gems such as Summer '68, Grantchesters Meadows, Fat Old Sun, The Gold it's in the, Free Four and maybe even Paintbox.

Thanks

I was gutted they'd dropped Point Me At The Sky by the time I saw the Royal Albert Hall show. I loved hearing that at the first Roundhouse gig. For me, I wish they'd add in Summer '68, Jugband Blues, It Would Be So Nice, San Tropez and Biding My Time!

Thanks

Like others, I'm still overwhelmed with gratitude for a whole tour and band (!) based around songs I would have swooned to hear just one of in a modern-day PF setlist that I feel a little sheepish complaining about anything. But, so long as we're playing the fantasy camp game, I would have preferred fewer "shorts" and some more "longs" to borrow the Genesis terminology. The PF era that gets the most repeat listens for me is '70-'71 when the staples were extended versions of IO, Axe (with the GITC transition), Cymbaline, AHM, Saucerful, and StC. So they hit a couple of those, but skipped some highlights, and I don't like abbreviating AHM as an If interlude, which stops just when it really gets going. The full 16 minute brassless version would have been amazing, and If just doesn't need to be there at all - the live versions don't add anything to it and Roger's already done it on his solo tours. My ultimate fantasy would be prefacing Saucerful with Behold the Temple of Light from The Man & The Journey. I'd bet Lee could really own that one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keleven View Post
    Like others, I'm still overwhelmed with gratitude for a whole tour and band (!) based around songs I would have swooned to hear just one of in a modern-day PF setlist that I feel a little sheepish complaining about anything. But, so long as we're playing the fantasy camp game, I would have preferred fewer "shorts" and some more "longs" to borrow the Genesis terminology. The PF era that gets the most repeat listens for me is '70-'71 when the staples were extended versions of IO, Axe (with the GITC transition), Cymbaline, AHM, Saucerful, and StC. So they hit a couple of those, but skipped some highlights, and I don't like abbreviating AHM as an If interlude, which stops just when it really gets going. The full 16 minute brassless version would have been amazing, and If just doesn't need to be there at all - the live versions don't add anything to it and Roger's already done it on his solo tours. My ultimate fantasy would be prefacing Saucerful with Behold the Temple of Light from The Man & The Journey. I'd bet Lee could really own that one.
    I'd love some Man & Journey but I think they're deliberately avoiding numbers with vocals that only Rog can do (CWTAE, PRTH...).
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

Thanks

• Drop: IO
    • Drop: LTBML
    • Drop: GITC
    • Drop: PMATS
    • Add: CAACB
    Damn. Sometimes reading this forum is like doing the puzzles in a newspaper... I still haven't figured out what CAACB is, I'll have to go and search for a setlist to find out. It would be so easy to call them More Light, Green, Point Me, and whatever the C and the A mean.
    Last edited by Grilo do Demo; 2022-10-12 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grilo do Demo View Post
    Damn. Sometimes reading this forum is like doing the puzzles in a newspaper... I still haven't figured out what CAACB is, I'll have to go and search for a setlist to find out. It would be so easy to call them More Light, Green, Point Me, and whatever the C and the A mean.
    Candy And A Currant Bun

Not everyone uses the same abbreviations - sometimes I don't understand one and refer to this list of songs to try to figure it out.
    I am you and what I see is me.