Thread: Remember that doctoral dissertation survey a couple years back?

Thanks

Default Remember that doctoral dissertation survey a couple years back?

Hello!

A couple years ago, I posted a survey about collecting and creating ROIOs and their technical documentation. Many of you were kind enough to respond, and thanks to you the dissertation was a huge success when I defended it this past spring. Several people had requested to see the finished project, but I put it off a little because ProQuest would charge you for it. Now my school has it available for free so I'm sharing the link here.

https://dc.uwm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.c...50&context=etd

Again, thanks to those who participated in the survey, to the site administrators who allowed me to post it, and to the creative fanatics who gave me a reason to write in the first place. You're all wonderful. I'm happy to hear your responses or questions, if you wish, through the PM on Yeeshkul.

Joseph Serio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 43 Posts

434 pages!

Congratulations on the success of your thesis, and it's good that one of the best fan sites in existence contributed to getting you to it.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldpink View Post
    434 pages!

Congratulations on the success of your thesis, and it's good that one of the best fan sites in existence contributed to getting you to it.
    Thank you! But the text ends around page 220. Then about 13 pages of works cited, and the rest is all data - meaning info files and survey answers!

Thanks

Congratulations, Dr. RioGrandeJoe! Read the first couple of chapters, and looking forward to reading the rest - I'm sure many here will appreciate how much work you must have put into this project over the last few years, and it's really nice to see the final result.

Thanks

I was interested to read that the title phrase “hot licks and rhetoric” comes from the song “Hopelessly Human,” written by Kerry Livgren and performed by Kansas from the album Point of Know Return, released in 1977.

I know the phrase from the song Throw Back the Little Ones by Steely Dan from the album Katy Lied, released in 1975:

"Hot licks and rhetoric
    Don't count much for nothing
    Be glad if you can use what you borrow
    So I pawn my crown
    For a ride uptown
    And buy it back tomorrow

Throw back the little ones
    And pan-fry the big ones
    Use tact, poise and reason
    And gently squeeze them"

I wonder if Kerry was familiar with the song.

Thanks for posting your paper!
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swirling Panpot View Post
    I was interested to read that the title phrase “hot licks and rhetoric” comes from the song “Hopelessly Human,” written by Kerry Livgren and performed by Kansas from the album Point of Know Return, released in 1977.

I know the phrase from the song Throw Back the Little Ones by Steely Dan from the album Katy Lied, released in 1975:

"Hot licks and rhetoric
    Don't count much for nothing
    Be glad if you can use what you borrow
    So I pawn my crown
    For a ride uptown
    And buy it back tomorrow

Throw back the little ones
    And pan-fry the big ones
    Use tact, poise and reason
    And gently squeeze them"

I wonder if Kerry was familiar with the song.

Thanks for posting your paper!
    Wow! I bet he was! I sure wasn't, though. It was originally called "Data from the Underground" but I wasn't happy with that, and after decades unheard "Hopelessly Human" started running through my head for two weeks until I got the message my subconscious was sending me. Thanks for cluing me in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RioGrandeJoe View Post
    Wow! I bet he was! I sure wasn't, though. It was originally called "Data from the Underground" but I wasn't happy with that, and after decades unheard "Hopelessly Human" started running through my head for two weeks until I got the message my subconscious was sending me. Thanks for cluing me in.
    My knowledge of song lyrics was inviting and inciting me to respond...
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks
    Thanked 38,286 Times in 444 Posts

Congratulations, it is a wonderful explanation of what we are all doing in this place. It reminds me of when I suggested that we all met on Zoom mid-pandemic, on 23 January 2021. There were pages of people at the gathering and I think it is fair to say that we were able to talk to one another just as well in 'reality' as via the forum.

Thanks

Congratulations also from my side, when Y teased the academic with the BBC book, now it arrived there.